-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a new CZ3 and was very happy with it.

Traded it to a campfire member and wish I still had it.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent first post Jeff.

Thanks for taking the time.

I for one applaud you for thinking of the left handed shooter and for coming out with your LH production rifles simultaneously with the RH ones.

That is indeed rare and welcomed.

I'm looking forward to seeing more about the production rifles, including weights, barrel length and other particulars.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like their LW rifles come in at 6-2 for a SA, in a Lone Wolf stock. An EDGE oughtta be about the same weight. That's close to Montucky territory.

Wonder what a LW barrelled action would run?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
MRC action is a bulky action. No where near as slick or trim as a Kimber. Closer to a Sako 75 size and bulk, not quality. (Yes, I know one's a push feed and the other a CRF) Definitley not what I would build a lightweight off from.

After playing with other custom actions since I had the MRC, I was shocked at how far apart the quality and tolerances were. I paid the same amount for a Surgeon RSR action as the MRCs are going for now. I also paid the same amount for a Rock cut barrel as a MRC barrel. Things may have changed but I'm hearing the same thing from both sides.

Unless MRC decides to give me the 270 WSM that I orderd, that can shoot straight, hold the cartridges in the magazine when cycling the bolt, and actually get a round in the chamber without me jiggling the bolt around, I don't think I'm willing to try one again.

To be fair, MRCs can shoot and can be finished to look great (think Kilimarjoro Rifles), but your going to have to put a lot more money into it than a Surgeon/Rock barreled action. Just somethings for you to think about.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had a MRC built and have had ZERO problems with it so far. I never had a single issue dealing with MRC. They told me a lead time of two months, it was at my FFL before that. How can one complain about that? .257Roberts, McMillan Edge Stock, Falcon Coat, Timney Trigger, Talley Rings and bases.

[Linked Image]

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How's it shoot? It's not too hard to build a decent looking rifle, but the true test, for me, is in accuracy.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have only shot factory loads thru it so far and have had the best groups with doubletap 100gr TSX 100yards 3/4".

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
montanacreekhunter,

very nice rig.

Jim in Idaho the MRC website is down do you have any idea ...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You got me, there's a picture of a pretty girl and some links to various shooting products but it's not the Montana Rifle Company website.

????

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The site is back up.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I had a MRC built and have had ZERO problems with it so far. I never had a single issue dealing with MRC. They told me a lead time of two months, it was at my FFL before that. How can one complain about that? .257Roberts, McMillan Edge Stock, Falcon Coat, Timney Trigger, Talley Rings and bases.

[Linked Image]

THIS IS WHAT I WANT !!
(betcha its outta my allowance)

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Do the Montana Rifles have a "coned breech" like the Winchesters do?
The reason I ask is that I have found that the Winchester's are the only rifle that will consistently feed the flat nosed cast boolits I like to shoot...
Thanks!

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

[Linked Image]

I like that. How's it shoot?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nrut
Do the Montana Rifles have a "coned breech" like the Winchesters do?
The reason I ask is that I have found that the Winchester's are the only rifle that will consistently feed the flat nosed cast boolits I like to shoot...
Thanks!

Their breeching system is a C ring like the Mauser. Their actions are a blend of Model 70 and Mauser 98.

http://www.montanarifleco.com/actions.html

From that page:

All of our actions incorporate the following features:

Anti-bind feature which utilizes a dovetailed lug and raceway which provides precise retention of the bolt within the receiver bore.

The bolt sleeve incorporates a Mauser style flange to gases issuing along the bolt-lug raceway, and away from the shooters face.

Retains the 3-position safety found on the Winchester Model 70. This is one of the most popular safeties today, and by far the safest.

Retains the claw extractor and controlled round feed capabilities.

Push button bolt release system that is cast integral with the action offering easy to use one hand operation.

Trigger and sear assemblies are manufactured using a EDM process that maintains design geometry to within .00003"

The trigger assembly maintains the Model 70 geometry and is fully adjustable. It also gives the end user the option of installing an aftermarket trigger assembly meant for the Model 70.

The action has been designed to incorporate the Mauser 98 style inner collar ring that includes an extractor cut. This feature not only increases the overall strength of the action but also allows for the elimination of extractor cuts and cone breeching within the barrel.

We've maintained the Model 70 receiver ring geometry allowing customers to use any scope base meant for the Model 70 without modification.

The receiver incorporates gas ports on both sides of the front receiver ring for superior safety in case of catastrophic failure.

All actions include one piece bottom metal.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JeffMRC

Dan Adair, while some of the other guys (Mliang, 7x57 Steve, others) who have complained about things, have valid points because they actually purchased something from us (those complaints have actually helped us in the last few stages of our business, both in quality and Customer Service issues) you though, have NEVER done business at MRC?

You may have an opinion about my father, hey, that's your opinion, and HONESTLY it's ok if you like him or not or think he's a pompass windbag or not...whatever, that's your opinion, and we each have a right to that. You said you bought a barrel from him 15 years ago, I looked and couldn't find your name in the books anywhere....but that was a long time ago and a LOT has changed since then...and that was Montana Rifleman (Barrel Manufactuer) not Montana Rifle Company (Action and Rifle manufacturer). There are two facilities here that do different things. You have never done business with me or Montana Rifle Company.

You better be careful.. Dan Adair works out on the stairmaster with a 100lb pack. He'll kick your ass! (grin)

TDN Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I spoke with Jeff over there yesterday and it sounds like they are planning to begin shipping the production guns near the end of May...

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I go back with MRC to their initial charter issue program in 01 or 02. I ordered a LH short action and had them polish it inside and out, square and true the receiver, add one of their #4 contour barrels that I ordered lapped with a recess crown.
They then sent it across town to Serengetti for a left handed AA Claro laminated stock made to my dimentions, ebony forearm cap, metal grip cap, cross bolted with ebony plugs, checkering and oil finish.
Back then the two companies seemed to work great together.
I received a rifle that was more than I expected, great workmanship on both the metal and wood. An to make things even better it shoots great too.
I can not find a bad thing to say about either company.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tdn
I spoke with Jeff over there yesterday and it sounds like they are planning to begin shipping the production guns near the end of May...

How are they going to sell them? Through the usual channels---only through distributors, dealers? Or are they going to sell them right there in Montana?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
TDN Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looks like we are going to have to go through a dealer.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.