Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Why did Curt Gowdy's country drawl sound so appealing and today's TV "good ole boy" accents sound like the result of genetic inbreeding??? I swear that the average deer/turkey hunting show host of today makes me appreciate my tinnitus.

I remember the Mannix star shooting a Cape Buffalo on the old American Sportsman as well as Lee Wulff shooting moose with a lever action Sako, a pretty unusual rifle even back then--I always thought of him as strictly a fly fishing guy. The Crosby/Harris episode that I remember was them shooting Francolin or some other species over an African waterhole. Another fond memory is of Andy Devine hunting quail with a 28 gauge Parker IIRC. Great memories.

They came out with a series of thin coffee table books in the late 60's/early 70's -- I think that I have 5 or 6---wish I had the whole collection. They were short articles kind of like the episodes of the show.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I loved the American Sportsman series.... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gmoats
I remember the Mannix star shooting a Cape Buffalo on the old American Sportsman...

Would that be Jack Lord?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No way Jack Lord was a big time liberal turd who didn't believe americans should even own guns . Your memory is failing, his big line in life was "Book'em Dano" only intelligent thing ever out of his mouth on Hawaii 5-0.
The 3 episodes I remember best on the American Sportsman were Fred Bear hunting grizz in BC(he missed at 20 yds) and they bleeped what he said. Capt Kirk of Star treck hunting and shooting a bull elk with some kinda 308(multiple shots to get it done) and a segment of a pheasant hunt with Joe Foss. It was primetime on Sat afternoons to me. No they sure don't make them like that anymore. Magnum Man

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
You're thinking of Mike Connors for Mannix.
I remember the American Sportsman with Cory Wells from Three Dog Night fishing for trout in Colorado (?). They were my favorite group at the time, and I couldn't believe a rock star would be doing something normal like fly fishing. Loved the show.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of things stand out in my memory of the show, One is you could actually watch someone hunting on TV instead of reading about in a sporting mag. IIRC the first on TV hunting/fishing show of it's kind, the other thing was watching Stu Apt catching of all things, 100lb+ Tarpon on a fly rod!!!
Something that as a youngster used to catching Rainbows and Cutt's on a old 'Boo fly rod would never have even thought was possible. I sat in front of the TV like a dog on point every time it came on. There were some other clips of a show called "The Big Ones" but, I dont remember exactly if it was another show or not. I do remember seeing Howard Hill shooting his bow on that one.
Maybe someone else with a better memory than mine could elaborate on that one also. I wish someone would start doing shows like those again. IMHO they were better than some of what passes for hunting/fishing shows today.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember it well, I was like a bee to pollen when it was on Sundays. 40+ years ago. Some things change and others don't. I was a little kid, In the Gun Room at Abercrombie and Finch They sold guns back then, Griffin and Howe as I recall, they are still around,and low and behold, Bing Crosby was there looking at shotguns. This was oh 1962. Bing Crosby and Phil Harris, what a pair, they hunted and fished a lot. But Watching Lee Marvin fishing for Black Marlin was most memorable for me.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oops! You're right, it was Mike Connors. I had a temporary cranial-rectal inversion. Like my daughter says (in jest, I think), I'm "Supersonic idiotic brain-infected disconnected." If I said that to my dad I wouldn't have as many teeth in my mouth as I do today.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gmoats
Why did Curt Gowdy's country drawl sound so appealing and today's TV "good ole boy" accents sound like the result of genetic inbreeding??? I swear that the average deer/turkey hunting show host of today makes me appreciate my tinnitus.

I remember the Mannix star shooting a Cape Buffalo on the old American Sportsman as well as Lee Wulff shooting moose with a lever action Sako, a pretty unusual rifle even back then--I always thought of him as strictly a fly fishing guy. The Crosby/Harris episode that I remember was them shooting Francolin or some other species over an African waterhole. Another fond memory is of Andy Devine hunting quail with a 28 gauge Parker IIRC. Great memories.

They came out with a series of thin coffee table books in the late 60's/early 70's -- I think that I have 5 or 6---wish I had the whole collection. They were short articles kind of like the episodes of the show.

Curt Gowdy did have a distinctive accent, call it cowboy, or western but that gravelly voice was coupled with 30+ years of radio broadcasting experience. He was the voice of the Red Sox for 15 years. He he wrote or at least edited the scripts for "The American Sportsman" and rehersed them making sure to add inflection and excitment to the story. Now we get get guys that banter on to hear themselves talk injecting product placement every chance they get.

Oh and Curt Gowdy has a State Park in Wyoming(1971) and a post office in Green River Wyoming(2006) named in honor of his sportsmans legacy. Lets see them do that for "Bubba Stumpjumper" or "Cleatus Sheetkicker".

Last edited by inland44; 03/15/11.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was just beginning 4 yrs in the military when that program surfaced. I only saw a couple of early episodes and it was the stuff of dreams. A class act with people that knew where singular/plural nouns and verbs and active and passive tense belonged. I don't think product placement had been invented yet.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/15/11.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh and Curt Gowdy has a State Park in Wyoming(1971) and a post office in Green River Wyoming(2006) named in honor of his sportsmans legacy.

and because he was from Wyoming.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I remember watching that show when I was a kid. I thought it was wonderful then and would watch such programming now.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shee-oot, nobody could afford to make programs of that character today. The stars would demand millions, and the advertising would just ruin the whole thing. TV just plain sucks today. I got rid of dish net-don't-work and bought a new antenna. I can't believe the utter garbage on network TV today. Just crap!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Speaking of Mike Connors hunting Cape Buffalo, here is a great recent interview with him on O'Reilly..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeKUWIu1NGE

The man is 85 years old and apparently has had a great life since "Mannix".

A class act.

Last edited by jim62; 03/15/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bing and Phil made me relax and enjoy the show. The junk on TV now makes me nervous while they shoot the sh*t for 10 minutes and then take the rifle off safe with a very loud click, all the while the 15 grand "trophy" stands there, And of course, the shooter is always a hot blond chick.

I quit watching the fishing shows after Gadabout Gaddis, the flying fisherman and Jerry McKinnis left.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Oh and Curt Gowdy has a State Park in Wyoming(1971) and a post office in Green River Wyoming(2006) named in honor of his sportsmans legacy.

and because he was from Wyoming.

An equal if not greater honor...

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think the double that Andy Devine used was a .410 rather than a 28 gauge. Joe Foss missed a shot at at a caribou and had to be edited. My favorite Bing and Phil bird hunting trip was along the Snake Rive for chukar. Phil was soaking his bare feet in the river afterward. Was a great show.

Tired of watching Bubba in full camo on a game ranch being transported by ATV's working up a sweat after a 9 yard stalk, making a shot at a site with Purina Buck chow feeding station and then swilling Budweiser and giggling for the rest of the show.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yup, that's exactly why I haven't watched any of them in a 'coon's age. Don't forget the waterfowl hunting videos where the Bubba's blast a never ending stream of ducks and geese from the sky- without ever missing.

"It's duck season."
"It's rabbit season."
"It's duck season!"
"No, rabbit season!"
"Duck season!"
"Rabbit season!"
"Duck!"
"Rabbit!"
"Duck!"
"Rabbit!"
BOOM

Look me in the eye and tell me with a straight face that 75% of those hunting shows don't remind you of a whole slew of Warner Brother's cartoons! laugh

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea, I remember an episode with Phil Harris and Bing Crosby pheasant hunting, singing comedic ditties to one another--hilarious--entertaining by top entertainers doing something I love, and it seemed like they did too. It was the one program I tried not to miss if I could help it; on on a Sunday here IIRC.

What a breathe of fresh air compared to the colorless (most) "hook 'n bullet" shows on now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
The 3 episodes I remember best on the American Sportsman were Fred Bear hunting grizz in BC(he missed at 20 yds) and they bleeped what he said. Capt Kirk of Star treck hunting and shooting a bull elk with some kinda 308(multiple shots to get it done) and a segment of a pheasant hunt with Joe Foss. It was primetime on Sat afternoons to me. No they sure don't make them like that anymore. Magnum Man

I grew up in the "Pheasant Capital of the world" and was a kid when Joe Foss and Bob Stack and the crew came to our town to hunt pheasants for the show. We were holding a field near town so if they didn't get enough birds in thier first attempts they would move to ours. About 2:30 the group said to heck with it and started hunting on our own. I guess the celebs did fine on their first place because they never showed up. It was a big deal back in the day in a town of 1300 in South Dakota.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 51 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,727
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.