Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Jim62. I've had the same luck with the older remington ammo that you state, but their new stuff is very much lacking. As far as bulk pack ammo, the federal hollowpoint champions are great in my 10-22. Once again you are correct, don't believe what you read on the internet. The OP needs to try different ammo out for himself.

I have never had much luck with most of the Federal bulk packed HP stuff. I have had decent luck with the "Auto match" but it appears to be nothing more than loose packed Champion/Lighting loads that actually cost more per 500.. So I really don't buy them anymore either.

On the subject of Remington ammo in most of it(except for the Target stuff they source from Eley) is not worth the cost.

In a fixed breech gun, the 550 pack HP loads shoot well.All mine has been made in the last few years.

At about $18 per 550 they are about the cheapest HVHP loads that shoot well in my non auto-loading guns. So I keep plenty on hand just keep them out of auto-loaders. Which mostly get fed non bulk packed CCIs

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Box stock 1022: Auto Match works pretty well.

One with the .920 A&B tube: Wolf MT.

Either shoot a variety of ammo fairly well and with few issues. Dynapoints, most Fed. stuff, even the Walmart bulk pack ammo.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mine loves the bulk Federal "Auto Match". The Remington Yellow Jackets, CCI Stingers, Remington Thunderbolts, Remington Sub Sonics.....

Shoots them all well. The YJs and Stingers shot the best respectively with the Auto Match 3rd. I generally shoot the Auto Match.

My rifle is the 10/22 T no after market parts besides scope. Sub 1 inch groups with the above ammo at 50yds.

Haven't shot everything but those are the best of what I have.

FWIW

Brett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wolf MT hands down

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Was down a local range last summer with Ken (firearms44) and was shooting Federal Bulk and Remington Bulk at a 50 yard target. This was with a stainless 10/22 International with pepper laminated stock.

The Federals were making 2+" groups and the the Remingtons were doing better at about 1.5". Ken gave me a few CCI Velocitors and 5 rounds went into a thumbnail size group...

We split a case and that is all I have been shooting since....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks everyone for your inputs, even the gent who thought the thread was useless.

Besides the M10/22, I also have a 22LR Contender barrel and am seriously considering ordering a Bullberry 'match chambered' 22Short barrel. Sorry for 'that' confusion! Yeah a 22Short goes bang in a M10/22, but with a lot of "slop" before it sleeps down the bore!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Win Power Points

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by passport
Wolf MT hands down

+ 1

With all the various .22 ammo mentioned so far in this thread I'd truly being interested in hearing about anything that out shot Wolf MT in "your" rifle. Granted, some of the more "exotic" and expensive target ammo might be more accurate but ........................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a very early 10/22 in original form that is not that picky with ammo. The very best groups have been with some of the lower velocity/target stuff.
CCI GreenTag
CCI pistol match
Elly Club
and believe it or not, Remington Subsonics.

When I said it is not that picky. It shoots CCI stingers and some other high velocity stuff under 1/2" five shot groups at 50 yards. At least two or three rounds of each group will hit under 1/4 or so. Not target accuracy but very good for high velocity stuff in a factory barrel, factory stocked, aftermarket triggered, autoloader.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
CCI Standard Velocity Match 40 grain,shoot sporter rifle at 50 feet and it shoots one hole !!!!!

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
CCI 'Select' ??

Anyone have good experience with that round?

The Wolf Target rounds and Winchester Powerpoints regularly are well praised across a spectrum of shooters ..... smile

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I use CCI Mini Mags in mine. Excellent results.

I support world peace...one carefully placed round at a time.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My old standard (non-modified) Ruger 10/22 (serial #9xx-that's right, 1 of the first 1,000 manufactured) doesn't shoot any "one-hole-half-inch-groups" at 50 yards, but my pillar-bedded CZ453 heavy-barreled varmint-model rifle in .22 rimfire with a glas-bedded action, floating heavy barrel and single-set trigger does with Wolf Match/Target ammo.

After trying at least 15 or 20 different brands/types of .22 rimfire cartridge in my 10/22 off the bench, my very old Ruger, purchased just after the model came out, shoots the bestest it can shoot with Super-X high-velocity hollow-points (my go-to squirrel ammo). It shoots a silver dollar sized group at 50 yard or about a "minute of squirrel".

While I prefer "standing-still head shots", the ol' 10/22 has chased many a bushy-tail out a tree limb, chipping off the wood behind him while slowly closing on the tree-rat from the rear. By the 3rd or 4th shot, Mr. bushy-tail is usually "centered" by the 38 grain hollow-point and is "in-the-bag".

Ain't that the way it is supposed to be done? smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudder700
CCI Standard Velocity Match 40 grain,shoot sporter rifle at 50 feet and it shoots one hole !!!!!

+1 and add the Remington subsonics. My 10/22 shoots bugholes with them.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
stubbleduck,with the select my gun shot a little different as the FPS are not the same as the standard velocity rounds,I shot 50 rounds and it grouped good,just not as good as the standard velocity rounds

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CCI 22 Standard velocity

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was using standard Remington stuff to do Appleseed shooting. But, I think my target barrel 10/22 can do better, and the occasional misfire isn't acceptable in a match.

So this morning I ordered five bricks of different higher quality ammos. I will keep records and report back.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
American Eagle hps have always shot well out of my stock 10/22. I recently tried out some Aguila Super Maximums, and holy cow, they not only shoot tight, they kill very well.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are so many variables that go into this it's not even funny. Bone stock, modified, use, etc etc. I for one am a hunter first, informal target shooter second, plinker third. Now when I say informal target shooter I mean I practice. Not just burning up ammo (plinkin) but not slow fire target work from a bench either. What I found in my 10/22's over the years:

Bone stock 10/22's generally don't do much if any better with higher dollar target ammo than with quality hunting ammo. I tested 5 or 6 boxes of various target ammo 10 or 12 years ago and CCI Mini Mags were as good as any although many were very consistent and just as good. But it wasn't gonna pay to buy higher dollar stuff for zero to minimal gain. Yours may like quality Winchester, CCI or Federal but spend much more than $6 per 100 isn't gonna gain you much. CCI Mini Mag HP's became my ammo of choice for anything even remotely serious.

Modified guns are completely different. In many cases, aftermarket barrels may shoot quality hunting ammo worse than the stock barrels but really begin to shine when you start putting high dollar stuff thru em. My 10/22 with a new green mountain barrel is a perfect example. Mini Mags are worse, Velocitors are worse, Federal Bulk is worse. Still need to get some better ammo (Wolf MT is on the top of my list) and put it thru some paces.

Now on to Velocitors....... From my experience 10/22's like em just as well and sometimes better than Mini Mags. Are they the most accurate round? Heck if I know. But for MY USES they are the most accurate and best option more times than not.

CB

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.