Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok, it all makes sense so far. How about this comparison. Would the back straps on an elk, be a boned pork chop on a pig?

Mule Deers' "hanger loin" brought back a bad "closing time" joke. eek

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/21/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes, One also finds tenderloin on the inside of T-Bones and Porterhouse (the smaller sized chunk). The wife an kid are not on to that yet. They will carve off the larger side and leave the small inside chunk for me.

I also benefit from folks that don't carve the cheeks off of their salmon.
Salmon cheeks?? Never heard of someone eating salmon cheeks. Halibut cheeks on the other hand are delicious!

I know some big walleye fisherman that always keep the cheeks.

For reference, dink tenders(are not very big).
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always give the tenderloins to the guy I am hunting with and helps with the packing,,,,
Personally I dont really like the tenderloins,, always a little gamy to me, everyone thinks I am nuts, thats ok,,

I will fight for every tidbit of the backstraps though,,,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well all this is confusing to say the least, why not just call it "Good Eats"!!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well all this is confusing to say the least, why not just call it "Good Eats"!!

Not confusing at all. Tenderloins are found inside the body cavity and back straps are on the outside. A man should know what he is eating. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of fish cheeks, was steelhead fishing this weekend and after catching one a group that was fishing next to us grilled one over the warming fire. The cook stuck his knife into the cheek and pulled out a chunk of meat and handed it to me and said, ever had the cheek before? Was pretty good.

I also like backstraps or tenderloins, going to have some tomorrow night, which I am not sure of. smile

Last edited by 24mileboy; 03/22/11. Reason: Forgot something!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You just need to keep blood and gut contents off of the tenderloins.

Can you say "neck shots"? grin

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well the hidden in the freezer tenderloins were very good.May have to look again for what is hiding! ;0

Last edited by 24mileboy; 03/23/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you take a cross section of spine (usually ribs 6 through 12) you get a roast that includes a segment of all 4 loins known as a standing rib roast. Very rarely done with wild game because game is rarely processed cut through the bone and few hunters want all 4 loins segmented. I've done it before with elk and I found it difficult to carve and serve.

[Linked Image]

If you remember the Flintstones you may recall this is the cut that the car hop delivers to Fred at the drive-in.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
I used to know a guy who operated a farm butcher truck for years. He told me on a cow there's two small "tenderloins" inside up by the front shoulders that are called Farmer's loins, or Butcher's loins...depending on who got to them first.

I've seen these in elk but never been able to find any info on them... Thanks!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
as for T-bone versus Porterhouse... I saw or read recently that their is an official standard, I think it was 2" of tenderloin for a Porterhouse any less would be a T-bone...

As for the "false loin" in the front... its there even on a white tail but not really large enough to cut out...I've also read that its not really anything like a standard tenderloin in terms of tenderness.

There is actually another muscle group that can be cut from the front leg that is often called a mock tenderloin due to its shape only! Not tender by any means.

Andrew
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is that the same as a "Flatiron Steak" ? I've never heard of these until recently.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 03/24/11.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I admit it, had to look it up. It's off the best part of the shoulder, Wiki explains it. For me, venison shoulder goes for small roasts and (very good) stew meat.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Neat. I ran off a copy of that.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You can also find a detailed description of how to cut those steaks from a game animal in SLICE OF THE WILD, written by my wife Eileen Clarke, available through our website: www.riflesandrecipes.com

This is not only a great cut from any game animal, but I have used it for decades as a test of the overall tenderness of a particular animal. The first thing I do after we butcher any animal is pan-fry a 1" thick shoulder steak. If it's reasonably tender, that tells us that animal's meat will be good for quick-cooking methods. If it's on the tough sids, then the tougher cuts from that animal will need some tenderizing techniques, such as brasing or stewing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was in school and money was tight and the local supermarket had seven bone roasts on sale, I'd pick the best one in the case. I'd cut that part of the roast for grilling and save the rest for whatever. Doesn't compare to a good steak off the loin but good enough! Didn't know it had a name until now.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You can also find a detailed description of how to cut those steaks from a game animal in SLICE OF THE WILD, written by my wife Eileen Clarke, available through our website: www.riflesandrecipes.com

This is not only a great cut from any game animal, but I have used it for decades as a test of the overall tenderness of a particular animal. The first thing I do after we butcher any animal is pan-fry a 1" thick shoulder steak. If it's reasonably tender, that tells us that animal's meat will be good for quick-cooking methods. If it's on the tough sids, then the tougher cuts from that animal will need some tenderizing techniques, such as brasing or stewing.

I remember reading that, now. I guess that's better than not having read it... blush

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 03/24/11.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Outside the rib cage, on either side of the spine is what I call the backstrap. The two small one inside the ribcage are tenderloins in my book.

In the picture in the link I think the TL were stolen by the skinner before the artists rendering. <grin>
TENFO!!!!!! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me, venison shoulder goes for small roasts and (very good) stew meat.

That is what I use the shoulders for (stew meat) except I use the better parts after boning for jerky. That is probably where my flatiron steak ends up. In fact, all of my deer is boned out and the muscles separated and frozen whole. I cut individual steaks at cooking time. I put some pieces from all over into one pile for jerky. I think the best stew meat comes from the neck. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.