Campfire Outfitter
B
"Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today"

I always loved the lyrics to "Imagine" by John Lennon. As an atheist, I used to think I was in the minority. Now, it appears that might be changing. At least I might be ahead of the curve if this report is true. I know that where I live in Canada, the trend has been more or less one way - and for quite some time now. Church membership is slipping badly, and at the same time those regularly attending are aging rapidly. As to the other countries, I've no knowledge other than reading this report.

Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says.In the UK, Wales has the highest proportion of religiously "non-affiliated".. Two-thirds not religious - says the survey. A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers.

The study found a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation. The team's mathematical model attempts to account for the interplay between the number of religious respondents and the social motives behind being one.

The result, reported at the American Physical Society meeting in Dallas, US, indicates that religion will all but die out altogether in those countries.

The team took census data stretching back as far as a century from countries in which the census queried religious affiliation: Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland.

Nonlinear dynamics is invoked to explain a wide range of physical phenomena in which a number of factors play a part. One of the team, Daniel Abrams of Northwestern University, put forth a similar model in 2003 to put a numerical basis behind the decline of lesser-spoken world languages.

At its heart is the competition between speakers of different languages, and the "utility" of speaking one instead of another.

"The idea is pretty simple," said Richard Wiener of the Research Corporation for Science Advancement, and the University of Arizona.

"It posits that social groups that have more members are going to be more attractive to join, and it posits that social groups have a social status or utility.

"For example in languages, there can be greater utility or status in speaking Spanish instead of [the dying language] Quechuan in Peru, and similarly there's some kind of status or utility in being a member of a religion or not."

Some of the census data the team used date from the 19th century to present day. Dr Wiener continued: "In a large number of modern secular democracies, there's been a trend that folk are identifying themselves as non-affiliated with religion; in the Netherlands the number was 40%, and the highest we saw was in the Czech Republic, where the number was 60%."

The team then applied their nonlinear dynamics model, adjusting parameters for the relative social and utilitarian merits of membership of the "non-religious" category.

They found, in a study published online, that those parameters were similar across all the countries studied, suggesting that similar behaviour drives the mathematics in all of them.

And in all the countries, the indications were that religion was headed toward extinction.

However, Dr Wiener told the conference that the team was working to update the model with a "network structure" more representative of the one at work in the world.

"Obviously we don't really believe this is the network structure of a modern society, where each person is influenced equally by all the other people in society," he said.

However, he told BBC News that he thought it was "a suggestive result".

"It's interesting that a fairly simple model captures the data, and if those simple ideas are correct, it suggests where this might be going.

"Obviously much more complicated things are going on with any one individual, but maybe a lot of that averages out."

Do these results hold true where you live? Is church membership growing, holding steady, or shrinking? Which churches seem to be doing better - membership wise? Which churches are losing members the fastest? Are as many young people going to church - compared to when you were a child? I'm curious as to what the regional trends are.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Is there a correlation that Morals and Religion becoming extinct at the same time, coincidence it is not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Religion" is man made and therefore ... dead.

God, on the other hand, is not dead. If you ever find yourself in a church where God is worshiped in spirit and in truth, you will have found a church that is very much alive and flowing with the spirit of God.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Christianity won't become extinct. It will be forced underground, but when that happens, it'll be stronger than ever before. Historically, God has done his best work when men are at their worst. Just because men don't believe doesn't mean that Christ isn't there and He will win. You have no idea how BIG he will win.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SuperCub

God, on the other hand, is not dead. If you ever find yourself in a church where God is worshiped in spirit and in truth, you will have found a church that is very much alive and flowing with the spirit of God.

What he said. I am NOT religious and would be insulted to be called religious. I am a follower of Christ. There is a huge difference.

As to the original post you can count me in the numbers to have left the so called ranks of religious but my faith has not wavered one bit. I know what I know.

I am not offended by those who do not have faith in God or even a believe He exists. Mostly I see those who do not believe offended by me and would like to deny me my right to believe as I choose. They call me a wacko and and I am the last one to attempt to force my faith on another. Never understood why. But BC, you can give up trying to change me. You and kill me but you cannot alter my faith.

My last word or read on this post.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If Christianity is pushed into the background, the void will be filled. Why do you think Islam is growing as fast as it is. Man is religious by nature. Deep inside he knows there is a God and he must worship something. I do not believe there are true atheists, maybe agnostics, but very few true atheists. God is real, He is alive, and Jesus is coming soon, because man has become self centered and has forgotten God. There is more scientific evidence to prove God than evolution. Man just doesn't want to hear it.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by BCBrian
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today"

I always loved the lyrics to "Imagine" by John Lennon. As an atheist, I used to think I was in the minority. Now, it appears that might be changing. At least I might be ahead of the curve if this report is true. I know that where I live in Canada, the trend has been more or less one way - and for quite some time now. Church membership is slipping badly, and at the same time those regularly attending are aging rapidly. As to the other countries, I've no knowledge other than reading this report.

Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says.In the UK, Wales has the highest proportion of religiously "non-affiliated".. Two-thirds not religious - says the survey. A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers.

The study found a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation. The team's mathematical model attempts to account for the interplay between the number of religious respondents and the social motives behind being one.

The result, reported at the American Physical Society meeting in Dallas, US, indicates that religion will all but die out altogether in those countries.

The team took census data stretching back as far as a century from countries in which the census queried religious affiliation: Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland.

Nonlinear dynamics is invoked to explain a wide range of physical phenomena in which a number of factors play a part. One of the team, Daniel Abrams of Northwestern University, put forth a similar model in 2003 to put a numerical basis behind the decline of lesser-spoken world languages.

At its heart is the competition between speakers of different languages, and the "utility" of speaking one instead of another.

"The idea is pretty simple," said Richard Wiener of the Research Corporation for Science Advancement, and the University of Arizona.

"It posits that social groups that have more members are going to be more attractive to join, and it posits that social groups have a social status or utility.

"For example in languages, there can be greater utility or status in speaking Spanish instead of [the dying language] Quechuan in Peru, and similarly there's some kind of status or utility in being a member of a religion or not."

Some of the census data the team used date from the 19th century to present day. Dr Wiener continued: "In a large number of modern secular democracies, there's been a trend that folk are identifying themselves as non-affiliated with religion; in the Netherlands the number was 40%, and the highest we saw was in the Czech Republic, where the number was 60%."

The team then applied their nonlinear dynamics model, adjusting parameters for the relative social and utilitarian merits of membership of the "non-religious" category.

They found, in a study published online, that those parameters were similar across all the countries studied, suggesting that similar behaviour drives the mathematics in all of them.

And in all the countries, the indications were that religion was headed toward extinction.

However, Dr Wiener told the conference that the team was working to update the model with a "network structure" more representative of the one at work in the world.

"Obviously we don't really believe this is the network structure of a modern society, where each person is influenced equally by all the other people in society," he said.

"It's interesting that a fairly simple model captures the data, and if those simple ideas are correct, it suggests where this might be going.

"Obviously much more complicated things are going on with any one individual, but maybe a lot of that averages out."

Do these results hold true where you live? Is church membership growing, holding steady, or shrinking? Which churches seem to be doing better - membership wise? Which churches are losing members the fastest? Are as many young people going to church - compared to when you were a child? I'm curious as to what the regional trends are.

Anybody besides me noticed that athiests tend to be a bit windy?

F
F
Interesting. Hard to tell what is true; I think I recall hearing that religious affiliation post 9/11 was at it's highest in a long time. But maybe that only affected the United States, or maybe it has already dropped off.

I wonder what the growing number of Muslim immigrants will do to those statistics in Western Europe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i figure it cant be dieing out, my sisters that are 23 and 25 who near as i can remember never set foot in church as kids other than for weddings and funerals are both avid church goers now.....which is a tad surprising, 7 years ago i woulda put money on the 25 year old joining wicca or something along those lines......

Last edited by rattler; 03/22/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today"

Yep.

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Using just my own personal observations,I've noticed a increasingly large percentage of folks who have found religion up to and through sentencing.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You and I both know that the "after sentencing" period shows a higher percentage. Better for the parole board..... grin .

George

οΏ½Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.οΏ½
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub

i could not agree with you anymore , also i love the way you worded that i have been looking for a way to say basically the same thing but could not come up with a way of expressing my thoughts. i will probably steal that little piece of wording .

IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, MINE ARE ALL DEFECTIVE ..... TED NUGENT
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Matt 24:35: Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today"

That's because BCBrian has again plagiarized someone's work.He like his messiah has never written an original piece in his pathetic life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12811197

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Link between morals an religion - whoever pointed that out above - pretty obvious.

Islam filling the void - no kidding. People have a need for regligion. If it's not Christianity, it will be something else. Even BCBrian feels a need to fill the void with this atheism.

Will religion die - Christianity's been around for 2000 years now and still going strong in much of the world, except north america and europe. There are a lot of things going to disappear from society before it does.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No new trends here, there the same lying ass hypocritical, backslidin, backstabin bastards they've always been.

Thats why I dont go to church.

Gunner

Last edited by gunner500; 03/22/11.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty well covers it. I went to church for 50 years.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I never pretended I did the research - duh!

I almost always grap clips and post. I'm more than willing to provide sources. Any fool should see I only wrote the intro and the questions at the end.

...any fool whistle

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have no need to read your post, Brian, but will tell you that God loves you.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

282 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 2ndwind, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,051
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.