24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The distinction is tougher to make,beings I don't form via 300H&H parent hulls. The 8mm Rem mag is purty "improved" outta da gate and that transformation is very modest,when fireforming in the Super chamber.

I reckon I prolly have some virgin 375H&H hulls to compare and some 7STW stuff kicking around too and could do a modest extrapolation via those means.

The 300H&H is easily the schittiest full length H&H hull of All Time...........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
BP-B2

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Funny... You're the only one that says that! Oh well, to each his own. Good medicine is good medicine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 300H&H's greatest asset,was/is as fireform fodder.

Would rather have a 300WSM,from a performance standpoint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TG, now that you have another couple of high experience posters adding in, you are getting a PHD / Masters degree in wildcat big 30's including thier care and feeding. There are thousands of reloaders and hunters out there who do not know 1/4 as much about these things as you have just learned in the last two weeks. This is a fun thread to be posting and involved in, as well as just follow.

Big 30's are not needed as much as they once were, smaller guns can now do what it once took these behemoths to do, but I STILL like 'em and they do still kill stuff rather quickly, even if said 'stuff' is out there a ways.

I sincerely hope your 300 Coulter slays many many ELk and other big game.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the Montucky 7 Whizzum and hold the fluff...................(grin)

IC B2

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No kidding! I don't even want to imagine how much I still DON'T know, even after all the info here! I believe it's time to do the freebore test. Or, maybe not?! I'm sure that if the gun was supposed to be reamed out to Weatherby, the smith would've stamped that on the barrel. There is just so many dang questions to be asked!

Well, I just ordered the Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14, so when I get that mounted and sighted, we'll see how the famous Safariman rocket loads do! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
'Bout like this................

[Linked Image]

I have a 338 Super (338/8mm RM) built by Jim Cloward in the mid 90's. I used 340 Bee brass to FF because of quality (at his advice). I'm think the 338 version has like 5-6% more capacity than a 340. Load is something like 94 grains of Re-25 with a 250.
Apparently Cloward had the first wildcat reamers built on the 8mm case...he said the 7mm version (STW)was the worst of the bunch. But shooting times got a hold of the spare. The
300 was his favorite.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Big Stick, what IS up with those bullets? Vinyl?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not vinyl, a sprayed on coating Barnes used to offer on thier original X bullets which worked pretty well. I have a couple of clients that slew many,many African plains game with those blue "XLC" version of the bullets. They tend to minimize fouling and increase accuracy in mnay rifles for which they are tried. I still have a box or threee or.....

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting.

Safari, could you give me any information on the barrel life of the M70s? It's been 60 years, and thousands of rounds have been through it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I believe it's time to do the freebore test. Or, maybe not?!"

Knowing is better that not knowing, if you are going to load for a chambering that you are not sure what it is, and you don't have up to date loading data.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on how hot the barrel was allowed to get i.e. how quickly the rounds were fired in succession the barrel could still be quite nice (most likely) condition or getting well worn in the throat area. Another thing that ruined more barrels than over firing use was cleaning them too often - especially with the cheap aluminum cleaning rods many used years back. the only way to Know is to shoot it and see. Lots of barrels out there that look rough through a borescope but that shoot well. If nothing shoots into better than 1.5 inches or so, might be time for a re-barrel and you can either find an original 300H&H bbl or send the rifle off to PAc Nor or another bbl maker and then pick your caliber among about any belted or RUM based rounds.

Shoot it soon and report back to us, we are all curious as to how this thing is gonna perform. Be sure to try the Barnes TTSX's, they usually shoot exceedingly well. Good Luck, MARK

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gracias! If I were to have it rebarreled, I could give that formed case to a smith and essentially have the same chamber made, correct? Just building off of a 300 H&H barrel, probably E.R Shaw.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could, but the expense of having a chamber cast made and a reamer cut to merely replicate this PARTICULAR wildcat would be cost prohibitive. If the barrel does not shoot well, and I think it will shoot just fine, then it will be time to decide on a more commonly available belted round, or at least one for which the barrel maker you choose has a reamer and for which you can whip up some ammo without the expense of custom dies as well. The round you have would be very closely replicated with a new barrel in 300AI, Jarret, WBY, STW, ICL Grizzly, and a few others I cannot think of right now that are essentially the same.

I am still, however, putting money on this barrel shooting quite fine. Very rare for these barrels to truly get worn out.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think you're right (expected) on the life of the barrel. I've got to stop jabbering, and put it on paper to see.

An ICL Grizzly would be verrrry cool though, as would a WBY. Have you had personal experience with the Grizzly?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not with that one, but a handful of others that do the same thing. Not a nickels worth of difference between the pile of 'em anymore including my current project 30 Belted Newton. They will all push a 180gr bullet faster than a 270 will push a 130. THAT is killin power, my young freind.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Killing power indeed!! This whole ordeal has gotten my older brother, (who religiously believes in his .270 Win), pretty dang jealous. But he just simply couldn't have shot the Old Warrior when the time came for him to get a good hunting rifle. My time came, and it was bequeathed upon me! smile Off to Bass Pro to pick up some 168/180 TSXs and 7828SSC, and its to the press for me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tanner,

Below is a pic of my Weatherby 30-378 IMP next to a standard 30-378. The rifle is throated to shoot the Berger 210 VLD. I believe I can get 3400 fps, but, I'll end up shooting whatever velocity my accuracy node falls into. I hope it's on the high side, but that's never my luck. I look at this way; a loud, fast miss doesn't kill anything.

[Linked Image]

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. What a cartridge. I always thought the 30-378 was really impressive in its own, but that is truely improved. Let's see the gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the very similar (to a 30/378) 300RUM for several years and took it to Africa twice. Bangflopped a big Kudu at 350 with it but personally could not deal with the noise so finally sold it. Hate having to wear hering protection when hunting but that one required it. No, it did not have a brake which is an evil device that I also despise. YMMV.

Agree, that we need to see this firebreathing UBER30!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (35, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,407 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.