Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CLB
The only rifle I can't own in Salvage.

How much cash are you looking to spend? 1K or less can buy a really nice rifle and opens up Montana, Weatherby UL, and even Sako opportunities if you look around a bit.

A NIB Rem 700 Mtn rifle would be a great option if you like SS Remmies....

I'm willing to drop 1K on a rifle.

Building one, I could pick up a used rifle (donor) for the action have it rebarreled, and put it in a Mcmillan.

$350 for the action
220 for a Shilen SS barrel
160 for my smith to put it together
~450 for a McMillan, and I'll glass bed it.
$1180 + for shipping etc. Maybe more depending on the action and how long I am willing to wait.

Re-sale won't be probably as nice as a nice factory rifle, but hopefully I won't want to sell it.

I would like to just pick up a good factory rifle, scope it and hunt.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
GB1

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Where you gonna hunt for deer and lope?

Personally, I might consider anything from 25-06 up to and including .280 Remington.

Many really good options out there from most manufactures. My next all factory rig will most likely be a Stainless 700 in 7RM and I'd probably bed it into a Medalist or McMillan if I can swing the loot.

Where I hunt here in the Northeast, I'm also considering buying a used Stainless Mountain rifle in .270, 7-08, 280 and similar.

I must admit though that I am a .25 and .284 caliber junkie. But one of the best deals I scored was on a Sako 85 SS in .338 Federal NIB from a member here. Those rifles are SWEEEET.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I mostly hunt deer in Missouri, and probably WY for antelope.

The (Bell & Carlson Medalist) that Winchester uses on their Extreme Weather is going for $203 new. So that is less than 1/2 the price of a Mcm.

Got to do more thinking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the money - hard to beat the Stevens 200, Marlin XS/XL and the Howa / Weatherby.

I did hear that the new Savage Edge / Axis was going to replace the Stevens 200? The Stevens 200 has been a very strong seller world wide. A good gun for the $$ - as is the Marlin.

Gus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Hawkeye

Ditto. Make it a .270 & I am in.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Weatherby Vanguard for the win!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best rife for the money?

Depends...

How much money are we talking about???

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
Originally Posted by CLB
The only rifle I can't own in Salvage.

How much cash are you looking to spend? 1K or less can buy a really nice rifle and opens up Montana, Weatherby UL, and even Sako opportunities if you look around a bit.

A NIB Rem 700 Mtn rifle would be a great option if you like SS Remmies....

Building one, I could pick up a used rifle (donor) for the action have it rebarreled, and put it in a Mcmillan.

$350 for the action
220 for a Shilen SS barrel
160 for my smith to put it together
~450 for a McMillan, and I'll glass bed it.
$1180 + for shipping etc. Maybe more depending on the action and how long I am willing to wait.

Re-sale won't be probably as nice as a nice factory rifle, but hopefully I won't want to sell it.

I'd say you started in a good place given your original parameters, all things considered.

Kimber Montana - and if we can believe their website, it looks like they may be back in the 7-08 business.

If so, 84M 7mm-08 Kimber Montana is your huckleberry; moreover, I expect Kimber has got their quality control show together since they had enough problems with them that they stopped producing them for a while.

A good shooting Montana 84M is the holy grail in factory rifles if a guy wants the best rifle for the money...ESPECIALLY in a light rifle.

I'm not speculating. I've got one in 7-08 that would widow every rifle I've got if I let it.

DJ

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw that response coming right off laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't know Kimber was making the Montana 7-08 again until I saw the 84L thread and the link therein...grin.

DJ

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For the money = Ruger

Best commercial rifle = sako

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They say actions speak louder than words. If you look in my safe you will see I've voted with my money for Ruger more than anything else - by a wide margin. Very happy with all of them.

I do float the barrels but I've done that to my Savage and Remington rifles as well. The triggers on the M77's have been polished (another task I do myself) but other than that they are all stock. Many of the newer Hawkeyes I've looked at have pretty decent triggers from the factory. Worst case they are easily touched up by a 'smith or replaced.

Note that my rifles are for hunting, not winning awards for aesthetics. You won't find any fancy, custom walnut on my rifles. In fact, one of my favorite stocks is the Ruger semi-skeletonized "boat paddle" and I currently have three, having replaced two wooden (one walnut and one laminate) stocks with them. (The last one cost me $50 delivered, used, and had 'smith installed sling studs to replace the factory swivels.) They are nearly indestructible and the actions I have mounted in them shoot great. Bedding the actions has never been required in any of my Rugers - the angled front screw seems to do just what it was designed to do.

Overall I'm a big fan of the Mauser action and think the CRF Ruger MKII's and Hawkeyes are the best high production, commercial instantiation of that design. Have you ever heard of a Ruger claw extractor or fixed blade ejector breaking or the one-piece bolt and handle coming apart?

Over half my rifles were purchased �gently used� and they shoot as well as the ones I bought factory new. There are many very good used rifles on the market now due to the economy and by looking around you can save yourself a lot of coin that could go to glass. My favorite rifle is my Ruger M77 .257 Roberts, picked up at a gun show for $400 with a Leupold M8 4x scope in the rings. It had been the red-headed step child in someone�s safe for 15 years or so and shot so little there were no scratches in the bluing under the slide safety � something I �fixed� the first couple trips to the range. Last weekend I saw a very nice stainless/synthetic MKII in .300WM for $500, used but in excellent condition, at a gun show where I�ve bought two other Rugers from the same dealer. Fortunately I already have a .300 Win Mag or I would have been parting with some Benjamins.

There is also a lot of good used glass available. There was a time when I thought I would never own Leupold glass but now over half my scopes are previously owned Leupold products. For new I�ve been buying new Burris Fullfield II�s with Ballistic Plex reticles - $160 on eBay for a 3-9x and $260-$275 for a 4.5-14x AO. They may not be the greatest scopes around, but I have a bunch of them and have had no problems.

Just before elk season last year I took my .300WM and one of my .30-06 rifles to the range for a final check, which included shooting clay pigeons on the 600-yard berm. I nailed a pigeon with both rifles using a combined total of 5 shots. Both rifles were Ruger MKIIs, one purchased new and one used, and both were topped with Burris FF-II�s with Ballistic Plex reticles. And, come to think of it, both in �boat paddle� stocks. The stainless .30-06 cost more because I had paid more for the rifle, it had a more expensive scope (4.514xAO) and I had purchased a �boat paddle� stock to replace the laminate stock it came with. All told the .30-06 came in at $790, well under your $1K budget.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mossberg model 464 in 30-30. New ones sell for approx $300.

Sherwood

Last edited by Sherwood; 03/26/11.

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

They say actions speak louder than words. If you look in my safe you will see I've voted with my money for Ruger more than anything else - by a wide margin. Very happy with all of them.

I do float the barrels but I've done that to my Savage and Remington rifles as well. The triggers on the M77's have been polished (another task I do myself) but other than that they are all stock. Many of the newer Hawkeyes I've looked at have pretty decent triggers from the factory. Worst case they are easily touched up by a 'smith or replaced.

Note that my rifles are for hunting, not winning awards for aesthetics. You won't find any fancy, custom walnut on my rifles. In fact, one of my favorite stocks is the Ruger semi-skeletonized "boat paddle" and I currently have three, having replaced two wooden (one walnut and one laminate) stocks with them. (The last one cost me $50 delivered, used, and had 'smith installed sling studs to replace the factory swivels.) They are nearly indestructible and the actions I have mounted in them shoot great. Bedding the actions has never been required in any of my Rugers - the angled front screw seems to do just what it was designed to do.

Overall I'm a big fan of the Mauser action and think the CRF Ruger MKII's and Hawkeyes are the best high production, commercial instantiation of that design. Have you ever heard of a Ruger claw extractor or fixed blade ejector breaking or the one-piece bolt and handle coming apart?

Over half my rifles were purchased �gently used� and they shoot as well as the ones I bought factory new. There are many very good used rifles on the market now due to the economy and by looking around you can save yourself a lot of coin that could go to glass. My favorite rifle is my Ruger M77 .257 Roberts, picked up at a gun show for $400 with a Leupold M8 4x scope in the rings. It had been the red-headed step child in someone�s safe for 15 years or so and shot so little there were no scratches in the bluing under the slide safety � something I �fixed� the first couple trips to the range. Last weekend I saw a very nice stainless/synthetic MKII in .300WM for $500, used but in excellent condition, at a gun show where I�ve bought two other Rugers from the same dealer. Fortunately I already have a .300 Win Mag or I would have been parting with some Benjamins.

There is also a lot of good used glass available. There was a time when I thought I would never own Leupold glass but now over half my scopes are previously owned Leupold products. For new I�ve been buying new Burris Fullfield II�s with Ballistic Plex reticles - $160 on eBay for a 3-9x and $260-$275 for a 4.5-14x AO. They may not be the greatest scopes around, but I have a bunch of them and have had no problems.

Just before elk season last year I took my .300WM and one of my .30-06 rifles to the range for a final check, which included shooting clay pigeons on the 600-yard berm. I nailed a pigeon with both rifles using a combined total of 5 shots. Both rifles were Ruger MKIIs, one purchased new and one used, and both were topped with Burris FF-II�s with Ballistic Plex reticles. And, come to think of it, both in �boat paddle� stocks. The stainless .30-06 cost more because I had paid more for the rifle, it had a more expensive scope (4.514xAO) and I had purchased a �boat paddle� stock to replace the laminate stock it came with. All told the .30-06 came in at $790, well under your $1K budget.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That Blue tape needs to be patented..that is the real reason your Rugers shoot so well. Just admit it. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most value for the money spent and the "bells & Whistles" you receive on the rifle, it is Model 70 Winchester pre-64 action or the Ruger.

The MOST ACCURATE out of the box, it would be the SAVAGE hands down period!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
OK, I'll add a bit to my wish list.

This rifle has to be dependable as well as accurate (prefer MOA or less).

I'm not talking dangerous game hunting, but if I spend hundreds of dollars on a non-resident tag, drive maybe 1000 miles to get to the hunting area, then finally get to pull the trigger on my targeted animal, I wouldn't want this rifle to take a dump on me. Something simple like fail to extract or feed if a 2nd shot is warranted.

Where I live, I'm within 20 miles maybe ten miles from several gunshops, and a few gunsmiths. I may not be so lucky out west or in the mountains on a Sat afternoon.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Best factory rifle for the money is rather subjective. My vote goes for Ruger for boltguns. I think Ruger really delivers a great value with crf, integral scope mounts with rings. Further they are rugged, dependable and accurate. Accuracy, of course, is with the caveat that ANY manufacturer can deliver a dud, but on average accuracy is sufficient to the task. And few factory rifles can not be accurized with some additional work as DIY or by a competent gunsmith.

I'm also a big fan of the Winchester M70. But, I can not for the life of me understand why they decided to change a trigger that most hold as the standard by which all others are judged. I have to wonder under extreme conditions how dependable this more complex MOA trigger is.

I've no personal experience with the Kimbers, but on specs and features, there's a lot to like about them.

I'm not a big Remington fan. No good reason really, they just don't turn my crank.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06. Period. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tonk
Most value for the money spent and the "bells & Whistles" you receive on the rifle, it is Model 70 Winchester pre-64 action or the Ruger.

The MOST ACCURATE out of the box, it would be the SAVAGE hands down period!!!

I have owned a Savage and a Tikka and own neither. The Tikka was the most accurate rifle I have ever owned...SS .308 T3 topped with a Kahles KX 3-9x42. Never fired a handload thru it only Federal premium ammo. I could never own a current design Savage or Tikka ever again. Accuracy is nice but only part of the equation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best rifle is the rifle you like which fits you and you have it with you at the time you are hunting. The one you always reach for first.

Last edited by DayPacker; 03/26/11.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.