-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lately, the handgun hunting bug has bitten, and I picked this up yesterday.

[Linked Image]

to go along with

[Linked Image]

They might be up for sale after this season, but until then, I know I'll enjoy the SBH in .44 Mag., but the jury may still be out on the .308 Lone Eagle.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nice. Why is the jury "still out on the Lone Eagle"?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard that the trigger may not be the best, may be better to go to a different platform, i.e., Contender.

Recoil is going to run close to 30 ft-lbs, too. I've run some heavy .44 mag loads, and they are not a problem, so maybe I'm worrying too much. I do have some far-past experience with a .45-70 Contender, and as long as you didn't keep at it too long, it was bearable. That was a 300 grain projectile at 1300 fps.

I know you have extensive experience with rather large and hard recoiling handguns. Your thoughts on a .308?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vic - I had a Lone Eagle just like that one, also in .308. It really liked Nosler B-tips and Barnes X-bullets. I hunted elk with the 165gr X...gotta look up my load data for the fps. Killed one at about 80yds.

The LE is easier to pack around than a Thompson pistol, but not as easy to get it settled onto a target over a rest, IMO. Easier to fire free-hand though. The trigger really isn't that bad. What it needs is an overtravel stop - and that makes a big difference. Cut a nub of plastic (IIRC, I used a piece cut from some ABS pipe) and epoxy it to the grip behind the trigger. Use a piece that is oversize and file it back until the trigger can fire reliably. It really helped my accuracy.

BTW - that thing with my loads was about as accurate off a rest as most rifles I've owned.

Oh - sizing is critical on your reloads. If you don't get it right, that thing simply won't close all the way even though it might look closed - you can't force it - and it won't fire because the striker won't line up.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just the information I was looking for, thanks a bunch, FM.

The first load I plan to try is with 150 grain Speer HotCor and Hornady Interloks. I've got a bunch of loaded ammo for my .308 rifle using the Sierra 165 HPBT Gameking, so I might give that load a whirl, though it will be in cases dedicated to the Lone Eagle.

I'm thinking somewhere slightly plus or minus of 2600 fps might be possible with the 150s, and 2500 or so with the 165s. Hope I'm not being too optimistic.

Something else I've given some thought to is a .30-30 emulation load, 170 at 2200 or slightly more. Where I hunt, short range is the norm.

I'll probably give the overtravel stop a try, too.

Thanks again.

Vic

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vic - I'm not where I can access my load data right now, but I think I still have some of it for that gun. Thinking you my be just a tad optimistic, but not enough to matter. I'll try to remember to look it up when I get home.

I had some Speer 125gr TNT loads that kicked butt for accuracy and performance on varmints. A 30/30 approximation is quite pleasant to shoot, but figure roughly 30fps loss in mv per inch of barrel difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vic - I'm checking my notes...

I had a load with Nosler B-tip 150gr and 42r of Reloader 12 that clocked ~2200fps. Nice mild and accurate load.

My Speer 125gr TNT load was actually below the minimum listed in the Sierra Handgun book. 46.5gr of Winchester 748 for ~2600fps.

My big-game load was a Barnes 165gr XBT over 45gr of 748 at ~2460fps. OAL on that load was 2.890. Not listed in the book as a max load, but I didn't care to go over that. Be sure to work your way up to that one.

Looks like I also had a lighter hunting load of 140gr Barnes X going ~2500fps with 44gr of 748.

All of these load velocities were clocked over the chrony from the Lone Eagle.

I had a phone conversation with the folks at Barnes, and they told me that the .308 X will expand reliably at the velocities these loads fall to within their PBR (usable trajectory). Never got to test that beyond about 100yds though. The 165gr X load was pretty devastating on the one elk I shot with it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I sure appreciate you taking the time to look that up.

Substitute a FP bullet for the B-Tip, and that would make a good .30-30 emulation load. We know how that round works on deer, though I'm sure the B-tip would still be within it's performance window at the ranges I would us it. And one other bullet I am considering is the 130 TSX.

2460 with a 165 is close enough to what I am guesstimating it's capable of, based on pistol data from Hodgdon's site.

If I hunt with it, I doubt I will get a chance to take a shot past 100 yards, and more likely at 50 or closer.

One more question....How was recoil?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
...One more question....How was recoil?

laugh Got some good shooting gloves? laugh I always wore some wrist-supporting gloves when practicing with it and those big-game loads. There was an upgrade in the stock after yours and mine were produced that I think made them more comfortable to shoot. If ever a gun cried out for Magna-porting, this one is it. I always thought a guy could do some custom shaping on that grip to make it more pleasant to shoot, but never bothered to try. I eventually decided that revolvers suit me better for handgun hunting, even though the LE is a hoot to play with and hell for stout....

Off-hand, it wasn't really bad, even with the 165gr load. I likened it to a heavy load from a 6" model 29. The gun wants to rock in your hand. Be careful shooting it from the bench. With the lighter loads, it was pretty pleasant.

Of course - it's very loud. Double hearing protection is advised for range work. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh - one other thing....

I loaded that 165gr X as hot as I dared, thinking about extended range. Expansion was never an issue at the ranges that it turned out I was limited to in the field, per my conversation with Barnes. I could hit a paper plate at 300yds all day at the range with any sort of rest - but I never managed to have any suitable arrangement for that in the field. The year I killed that elk at 80yds with the LE, I had to pass on some longer shots for lack of ability to hold a steady enough sight picture - and blew a lot of stalks getting closer. I took that shot from a classic supported kneeling position, and could probably repeat it out to 125yds or so - but that's about it. You could easily load that bullet milder and accomplish whatever you need out to 150yds.

Last edited by FreeMe; 03/28/11.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey - did you get the matching bandoleer holster?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, again.

Yea, I figger recoil is going to be,ahhhh, there... If it is like a heavy .44 mag load, then that should be something I won't be surprised by. That is why I have the .30-30 bullets in mind, also. They will perform better at reduced velocity than the standard spitzers and won't be a handicap at the typical distance I encounter deer.

Do I need to put an eyebolt in it and bungee-cord it to the bench? (grin)

I also had a Ruger compact with a 16.5" barrel, so I expect noise, and, yes I will be using double hearing protection. Which is something I noticed years ago seemed to help with recoil, of all things.

If I use the thing hunting, it will probably be out of a climbing treestand, which will have a bar that could be used as an expedient rest, otherwise I noticed that it is somewhat harder to hold steady than my Ruger Super Blackhawk. I guess the LE being somewhat lighter in the muzzle than the Ruger contributes to this.

It did come with a black bandolier holster, but it looks more like an Uncle Mike's item, cordura with loops on the front for ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Magnum Research holster had a cool eagle embroidered on the front, IIRC.

I always kinda thought if a guy made an insert for the bottom of the grip with a cantilevered rest protruding about six inches forward, it would balance pretty nicely when setting on a rest (as you describe in your stand). Something to think about if you're handy.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a pic of what I bought:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The grip, being an open bottom type, certainly leaves room for devices such as that.

I've already looked at my options from Magna-port, but I may shoot it first to determine what to do. If it's not too much worse than a heavy-loaded Super Blackhawk, then I may go with what I have. I can shoot that without too much trouble, and I know better than to shoot for too long per session. I can comfortably shoot my .44 mag for a 50 round session, 240 grain bullets at 1400 fps.

I live right next door to FT. Lee, Va., and I'll probably be there Sunday with it. If it sails over my shoulder and lands next to the Rangemaster's tower, I'll holler at Magna-port and see when they can help me. grin

What do you holler when a pistol sails like that? "Incoming" makes those guys a little jumpy.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.