-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy "GG" (gun gack)....lets make this simple. A .270 doesn't have much for recoil. The 84L is a bit lighter than most rifles so...it's gonna buck and bitch and moan a skosh bit more than the heavier rigs.... wink

Now wasn't that easy.. cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bigwhoop,

You're right on with the weight. My Montana weighs 7 lbs on the nose. My Classic 7 WSM is 7 lbs 11 oz with same rings and scope.

IIRC I'm getting right at 3,300 (+/- 20) with the 140 NBT and 140 NAB with Federal factory ammo. That stuff is so accurate I've only worked up one other hand load, a 150 NBT and it's around 3,100.

Thanks!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like Dober's take.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Marty,
With those numbers, the calculator shows 23.6 and 25.0ft/lbs respectively.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes Dober, its getting real cerebral. But rather than dealing with "I think", "it seems" "I feel", we have some real numbers to compare with impressions from the bench. Just an upgraded version of the buck, bitch and moan. I think we just coined a new technical rifle loony phrase here. The BBM Factor! shocked

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since we're getting so cerebral anyway, how do we factor in the "Legendary Montana Recoil Soak Factor" (LMRSF) in these formulas when comparing them to non-Montanas?

We're going to have to come up with a value for this and plug it in....Grin.

Seriously, it does make a difference, but of course Montana to Montana it's a wash - but it deserves some consideration when comparing them to other stuff, IMHO.

DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DJTex
Since we're getting so cerebral anyway, how do we factor in the "Legendary Montana Recoil Soak Factor" (LMRSF) in these formulas when comparing them to non-Montanas?

Seriously, it does make a difference, but of course Montana to Montana it's a wash - but it deserves some consideration when comparing them to other stuff, IMHO.

DJ

no doubt.....how a stock is built affects felt recoil, raw recoil numbers dont tell the whole story.....rather shoot my Montana in 260 than the 270 i had that was a pound and a half heavier....skinny butts really make the recoil seem worse even if the recoil numbers show other wise.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
.....skinny butts........ well now.......I don't see it in the recoil equation anywhere! whistle

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have never been one to recoil from skinny butts.

I am kind-of partial to them. grin

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, very cogent of you Whelen. However a "skinny butt" is usually firmer and thus delivers more felt recoil.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/29/11.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, a "skinny butt", due to the less cushion, results in more pushin...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I've had Montana's in 257 Roberts,7/08,270WSM,and 7mmWSM....the LMRSF is a figment of imagination....they don't "soak" anything....... grin

The 7mmWSM with Fed factory ammo pushing 160's at over 3250 was an obnoxious little beast.It got better with handloads and vels around 3000 fps.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me one in 300WSM.... eek

They are no different than the dozens of lightweight synthetic stocked rifles I've fired over the years.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I've had Montana's in 257 Roberts,7/08,270WSM,and 7mmWSM....the LMRSF is a figment of imagination....they don't "soak" anything....... grin

The 7mmWSM with Fed factory ammo pushing 160's at over 3250 was an obnoxious little beast.It got better with handloads and vels around 3000 fps.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me one in 300WSM.... eek

They are no different than the dozens of lightweight synthetic stocked rifles I've fired over the years.

For me Bob, I totally disagree... the MT stock is far ahead of recoil comfort than, say, a Bansner or McMillan Edge, even with those two on heavier rifles. I think it has to do with Kimbers negative comb.

But everyone's body is a different thing and works better with some stock designs over others.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Brad: I wasn't implying they are not good....I think they are the best factory synthetic out there.....only meant they do not really attenuate recoil for me to any great extent. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My take on the stock gack is that it comes down to what fits peoples bods. Case in point, I used to shoot a couple Red Labels. Had friends that love them, but for me they pounded the heck out of my cheek. So, I didn't like them.

In regards to the Montana handle, it's nice, and to me it handles recoil in the same manner in which other stocks do. To me, I don't find or see any magic to it and how it's recoil friendly. But, that's just the way I see it.

Most of the rounds that people are running in the Montana's are not very sparky. To me (and I'm pretty used to shooting sparky rounds like the 340 Wby and the 375 Wby) even the WSM's don't have much for recoil in any rig. Now with the Montana I do get a bit more mzl jump cause of the light tube. But, recoil wise it's no a bigga casa grande to me.

Then again to me I don't feel that the WSM's have much for recoil in any rig. But that's just the way this hard head see's it. And I do feel that my time with the sparkier rounds has modified my thinking about recoil in ways that others probably haven't experienced much.

I've shot the Browns, Bansners, McM's, Six and who knows what else. To me I've not noticed any diff, I have however noticed when the gun isn't built in a manner in which I wish it to be.

Lastly for me, the lines of the Montana look nice, and I can shoot it but other handles fit me more to my liking.

Just like picking cars/jobs/women there is no one size fits all and or absoltues.

Or at least this is the way this guy sees it.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Brad: I wasn't implying they are not good....I think they are the best factory synthetic out there.....only meant they do not really attenuate recoil for me to any great extent. smile

Bob, that's why I said "for me"... for me, the Kimber stock absolutely mitigates recoil far better than the Bansner or McMillan Hunters Compact (Edge). It's VERY noticeable.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i ordered my 280AI today smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i cant build them like that with no labor bills even...

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ordered my 257 Wby today...grin

Dober

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a 300wsm in a montana and while it jumpw a little I don't find it unpleasent at all. It is my only mag? other than my 375HH but that rifle is much heavier and stocked well and it is more of a push. I've shot 300 wby's and don't like them even little bit.

MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.