Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 30 31
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
hey art peck aka sitka deer, of achorage, ak. i sent you a stock to inlet a cartridge trap about a year ago. i paid for that service in full with a .25 caliber barrel blank. we also discussed a foreend tip and grip cap out of 2 of 4 materials to be done by you and paid with cash when completed.
over this year we exchanged some pm's, you never did tell me what materials you were going to use, and never sent pics of the work you said was done.

the last time you replied to a pm was on 11/23/10, yeah, 4 months ago. at that time you said i pissed you off and you don't do good work when not thinking happy thoughts or something to that contect.

i see where you finally read my last pm to you, asking for my stuff back.
i have asked several times in public threads for you to return my property, again no response from you.

you continue to post here and act like the grand pooh bah of stock work.

well, i have a different opinion of you, i think you are a THIEF.

again art peck, i am asking you to return my property.

you have had a year now to do a simple cartridge trap inlet, and as was agreed, a foreend tip out of ebony or african black wood, and a grip cap out of cape buff. horn or water buff. horn.
either of which you have never told me.

now is time for all the members here to know you are a dishonest thief.

you said 4 months ago there were some problems, of which i do not understand,and it would take a little time to work out. that was 4 months ago, with no updates, replies, contacts, or returned phone call.
yeah, that was me that left a message on your home phone.

art,
I WANT MY PROPERTY BACK, NOW.

i can't get any clearer than that.
enough, is enough, of your games or thievery. whichever you want to call it.

Last edited by splattermatic; 03/27/11.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
having never done business with the above named individual, i must abstain from opining as to his business practices...

i will say that 10 years ago i would never have sent a rifle off to a smith that i'd not met face-face...
2 years ago i sent a model 70 to Redneck who is a member here, based on his apparent reputation...

Redneck does what he says he'll do, ships when he says he'll ship, and promptly answers all phone calls, messages, and emails...

curious as to sitka deer's side of the story...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shared a meal with Art in his house and held some of his work in my hands...and he don't strike me as a thief. He is welcome in my house anytime.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope you get your stuff back promptly!

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is gonna get interesting....

A year?

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Popcorn guy....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the last time you replied to a pm was on 11/23/10, yeah, 4 months ago. at that time you said i pissed you off and you don't do good work when not thinking happy thoughts or something to that contect.

I would bet there are no happy thoughts after this either smile

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Concur that Redneck does what he says he will do, when he says he will do it and is very good at communicating.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No GOOD can come of this thread,.....

None.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Half a story if there ever was one.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I [bleep]' HATE this sorta' stuff......

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A primer for those who missed the last one of these.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4809087/1

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
Half a story if there ever was one.

It sounds like Art has had ample time to tell his half.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I hope Art will man up and return Splatt's property before it all gets legal and sticky for him. Man up Art, return his property and admit you screwed up.

Go back to the thread Kodiadisland posted, Art has had plenty of chances to clear this up and is acting like a hard headed fool.

I know Splatt, met him over the net on a gunboard, met in person at a rifle shoot, hunt with him, can access his house like it was mine. The guy is good on his word and is just a plain good guy. I would and have trusted him with my life.

Maybe "cowman" being Art's buddy can send him a message to answer up and just send the property back and be done with it.

Last edited by Sig220; 03/27/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only way to pick sides is to go with the person that you have interacted with so I'm in Art's camp on this one.
I have a feeling that Splatterman pissed Art off pretty bad... Bad enough that he don't care what is posted about him...
It would be interesting what kind of PM's Art received...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
from the beginning....
have you ever inletted/installed a cartridge trap in a buttstock before ?

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Email Topic
Unread By: none

#1037400 - 02/26/10 01:45 AM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Yes, quite a few of them...

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Email Topic

#1037444 - 02/26/10 05:16 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico wanna do another ?

#1037905 - 02/26/10 10:51 AM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Specifics?

#1037991 - 02/26/10 11:56 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico i am not a wod working kind of guy, i try, but... it's seems without knowledge and proper tools, i mess things up.

fellow member kend, finished a stock for me. it turned out okay, but needs more work.
i can do the finish again, but i had to put a cross pin in, which i did at my gunsmithing class last tuesday night.

i amgoing to put a plastic grip cap on still, but i have the cartridge trap i'd like to do, but since it's a beautiful piece of wood, and everythigs going good so far, i'd hate to mess it up doing that last part.

here's a link to to it with pics of what i have.
the inner piece is drilled for 22 hornets, but is not needed, just the part under the sling swivel stud area of the door. so it could be cut off, and just sealed wood in the area where the shells go up in.

if by chance, you would take this on, what would you charge ?
i have seen your work and refinishing posts, and thought i'd ask if you could do this ??
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...ter#Post3828002

i just need an expert to do this, as i'd really hte to mess up my first custom.

thank you,

mark

#1038300 - 02/26/10 02:45 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Without the piece in hand the shape of the bottom edge of the stock cannot be determined... Assuming the shapes match neatly it is just a couple hours to put them in. If the curves do not match well it is entirely different and would involve reshaping the bottom of the stock... or shaping metal to match wood. Either of those could take quite a bit of time to do it right...

I tend to do those with the initial build or skip them. If you want me to look at it and give you an idea of what is involved I could do that... If the install is a reasonable fit we could trade barrel blanks or something for the work.

I charge $50 per hour for my time and usually charge an extra $30 an hour when I have to use the mill or lathe to make them pay for themselves, but these are usually just a little drillpress time followed by handwork.
art

#1038421 - 02/26/10 03:59 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico okay deal...
without sending it, if i lay the trap on the stock and take pics from every and any angle would that work ?

if not i need an addie to send the stock and blank.
that way you can also look at the blank and make sure it's what you want, and if not i will pay.

and check out that thread again in just a bit, new pics up.
it shot like a 4 shot 5/8" group. so the barreled action likes the new stock.
yeah, i did the bedding correctly. looks kinda crappy under the barrel, but, hey noone will ever see it !

lemme know if pics will work and i'll start taking them.

thank you very, very, much,

mark

#1038496 - 02/26/10 04:26 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Better yet, make a gauge... Just a slot cut in a piece of wood exactly the same width of the trap and exactly the same depth as it is high. Set it on the ridge of your stock and see how close it is to touching both sides and the bottom edge of the stock...

Take pictures of the gauge in place if you have questions. A tablesaw, router, or files by hand should do it quickly... It does not need to be more than an inch long...

#1038500 - 02/26/10 04:27 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA I make one full length as my primary lay-out tool when starting...

#1038536 - 02/26/10 04:53 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico okay, i can do that.

so what do you think of the rifle ?
i have some new pics up.

#1039795 - 02/27/10 02:28 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA It is looking good! The pictures do not give the details well, but I will give it a good in-hand look if it works out and give you what I know...

Being a shooter like it is you can get a lot of slack on details!
art

#1053340 - 03/07/10 07:12 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico i am among the living again !
had a kidney stone the beginning of the week, then just a lot of complications, then i spent all day yesterday in the er, had high fever, felt like my whole body got beat by a ball bat.
they took x rays, blood, piss, flue swab, etc...
the doc had no idea what was wrong with me.
the whole time i was there, my fever just kept going higher, til it hit 102.7. they were getting worried.

still feel like [bleep], they gave me another antibiotic, in my iv. i may have had side effects to the one i got at the beginning of the week, when i passed the stone.

so anyways, i made the gauge. it is the same width and depth as the long strip part of the trap, where the sling stud goes.

i need to to cut it smaller.
before i go cutting on it, i used a piece of 2x4 and ran a mill bit into it.

how long would you like me to make it ?
you said 1 inch. i can do that, but just checking.

let me know please, i'll cut it, remove the sling stud in the stock, place this gauge there, take pics, and send em.

thank you,
mark

#1053500 - 03/07/10 08:50 AM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Mark
All I need is for you to run the gauge down the length of the inlet site and see how it fits. That will tell you whether the stock finish will have to be messed with. Usually they do not fit perfectly... and stock work is required. Which is why they are usually installed from the beginning.

If it is way off you need to decide if it is worth it... or if a piece of stell can be machined to make up the difference.

Headed back to the gunshow here in a few minutes and will not be back until late.

No personal kidneystone experience, but it cannot be good... Sorry to hear you had to deal with that.
art

#1055937 - 03/08/10 05:46 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico i took 2 pics of the jig.
the finish is nothing but tru oil so fixing the finish will be easy if it get's boogered up a little.

the slot is the exact width and depth of the skinny end that starts at the sling swivel stud end.

if these aren't enough pics to tell by, lemme know what you need and i'll take more.
first pics is looking back towards the butt.

this is looking from right at the stud hole forward.

thanks,
mark

#1056439 - 03/08/10 09:52 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

It look like a thickish ordinary US stock shape and a typical very thin cartridge trap cover... It looks like it will take some stock work to make it fit, well beyond a simple inletting of the trap...
art

#1056477 - 03/08/10 10:29 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico i have no idea what that means ?

what needs to be done and where ?

thinning the stock or metal to fit how ?

#1056483 - 03/08/10 10:38 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA the stock is thicker where the trap is desgined to be positioned. Blending wood into metal means the stock needs to be thinned out through its length so the trap matches the curve of the stock...

It will be more then just cutting down the stock and making it fit.
art

#1056538 - 03/09/10 12:53 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico okay.
i guess i have another scrapped project.

guess, i'll put it on the shelf for another years something to do.

thanks for the help,

mark

#1056931 - 03/09/10 09:00 AM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Did you do the stockwork? Just trying to give you a feel for what would be involved...

Euro stocks tend to be much skinnier as they do not tend toward big magnums with lots of recoil and they tend to cast their stocks to control recoil rather than using sissy pads and muzzle brakes. They also use cartridge traps far more often than we do.

Reshaping the butt is not all that big of a deal, but the shape of the rest of the stock would not blend well with the butt then...
art

#1057041 - 03/09/10 10:26 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico i guess i need to surf the web and look at what i could find for pics of euro stocks and traps.
i pulled out my mauser model 66 and looked it over, and am not sure what i am looking at i guess ?
the bottom of the stock actually is a bit thicker than my stock...
so i am guessing it's not a good example, of what you mean.

where should the sides of my jig be touching the stock?
eye balling it, and not knowing what i am looking for, the rounded top of the trap to the sides, appear to match up pretty good with the edge of the stock and appears when inletted would make a rounded look, without a step so to speak where the edges would meet the stock side.

tryimg to put this into words here..
when looking from the rear, when i lay the trap on the stock, where the sides of the stock come up, if the trap was inletted to the depth of the gauge i made, the rounded trap top, seems it would just look like the rounded bottom line of the stock...
it doesn't appear that when the wood would end the metal began, there would be a step of anything not flowing together.

took some more pics of the trap in place before i sent this post.

maybe these wil help.
more coming soon...

Quick Reply:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Preview

splattermatic
Sitka deer

View profile
Send a PM
Add to your Watched Users
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

View profile
Send a PM
View posts

Support Our Sponsors!

Who's Online
730 registered (1371, 16bore, 1845crusader, 101guns, 1lasportsman, 96 invisible), 1109 Guests and 128 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Forum Stats
31976 Members
66 Forums
372839 Topics
5060300 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM

Privacy statement � Board Rules � Mark all read Default StyleCampfirepaleCoffeeubbthreads Contact Us � HOME � Top

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Links
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | AUCTIONS | Gear Shop

Copyright � 2000-2011 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
page 2...
maybe these can help some more ??

#1057085 - 03/09/10 10:49 AM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA The pictures are not making sense to me in this last go around. I thought I saw a great deal of distance in your jig (when it was in place on the stock) between the stock and the jig. That would mean the curve of the stock does not match the trap.

The photos of the trap on the stock do not look that far off.

Is the jig the same size as the widest part of the trap? It should be... Or is it the same size as the tang end with the hinge? It should NOT be...
art

#1057123 - 03/09/10 11:05 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico i misunderstood which end you wanted then.
i made it as wide and as deep as the what you call the tang end, where the sling stud holds it in the stock.
it is more narrow there and flares out toward the front on the other side of the hinge.

guess i need to make another jig.

or would the trap itself work, kinda like i have it laying on the stock ?

#1057157 - 03/09/10 11:42 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico there's some more ...

i folded the trap and turned it around so you can see the forward end of it about where it would lay when it is flat and the stud is holding it in place.

i am sure it can be moved backwards a bit if needed as the stud hole could become the retaining pressure spring hole.

i tried to line it up as straight as possible, and the gap you are looking at may be a bit higher in reality as the part of the hinge at the grip side may be holding it tilted down just a bit more than if it was flat.

and a slightly angles shot.

#1057169 - 03/09/10 11:51 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico trying to measure it, i come with about the same distance of gap as the metal is thick.

i am not exact, but it's close.
so i am thinking the depth it has to go in, would recess the trap enough for it to be just about flush with the exteriors outside lines.

maybe just a lil bit of shaping the outside edge of the trap to flow with the stock ?

am i thinking correctly on how this works...
this sucks not being able to do this myself, or understand wood working....
someday, i will.... but right now.... i am as dumb as a box of rocks....

and not having the proper tools, or knowing how to use them.

mark

#1059017 - 03/10/10 11:55 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico well ?
whatta ya think ?
is it going to work ? or are you studying it still, or do i need more pics, or ?

mark

#1059039 - 03/10/10 12:01 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA mark
It looks like it should work, especially if the sides of the trap can be dressed down a little to match up.
art

#1059047 - 03/10/10 12:04 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico okey dokey !

still wanna do it and trade for the 25 caliber blank ?
or ?

lemme know what you like me to do, if it's a go, please.

#1059094 - 03/10/10 12:33 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Sounds good to me.
Art Peck
761 High View Dr
Anchorage AK 99515

I may still have issues when it arrives, but we can discuss those then.
art

#1059332 - 03/10/10 03:02 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico okay great !

thank you.

i will get everything boxed up. the stock, all pieces of the trap, and the blank and get em headed your way as soon as possible.

i owe you one art.

mark

#1059613 - 03/10/10 05:53 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico got the stock, trap parts, and barrel, all packed up.
now to get to the post office.

mark

#1063685 - 03/13/10 07:43 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico everything is going out today. i have 2 empty casings in the bag for fitting for the holes up in the butt.

the box is going priority, so it should be there close to the end of the week or sooner.

thank you art, your helping my dream of a custom rifle come together.

mark

#1064611 - 03/13/10 06:42 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico the box did go out today.
damn, almost 29 bucks to ship it.
oh well,

i guess do what you need to do, and if the blank is not enough to cover your time and labor, i'll square up with you.

thanks again,
mark

#1069214 - 03/16/10 02:10 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico kend in oregon got his box yesterday.
did mine get there yet ?

#1069231 - 03/16/10 02:22 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Nothing yet, but our mail has been delivered later and later each day... Usually gets here within the next two hours.

Will let you know when it arrives.

#1069282 - 03/16/10 02:45 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico great !

thank you.
i hope it all fits without much fuss.
the inside plate is driled for .22 hornet, but cutting off that part with the holes leaves the tail end under the sling swivel stud area for proper hieght install. just 4 holes i think will fit for the 280ai casings to fit in, we'll call it, bare wood, instead of the metal that was cut off.

but i think you know about all this already, so i just keep my mouth shut.

mark

#1069299 - 03/16/10 02:52 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Has the metal been removed already? It may have been needed, especially to get hole spacing correct, but it may have worked out using it...

#1069306 - 03/16/10 02:57 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico no, nothing has been touched or modified.
just the way i got it.

#1069307 - 03/16/10 02:58 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Okay. That's good.

#1071214 - 03/17/10 07:20 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Got the package and everything is in fine shape.

The trap will not be an issue to install. Did not realize it is in the white and essentially unshaped... Are you going to do the polishing or is that something you want me to do?

My steps:
Install metal in wood which will leave a little metal proud.

Reduce metal to shape of stock.

Next step is to polish metal, which can take a while... I can reduce metal edges to match the stock, leaving metal proud for you to draw file to shape... Or I can do it. WIll not take long, but can be tricky...
art

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
page 3
have never done anything like this before in my life.
if you could do it all, i would be indebted to you for the rest of our lives.

i think there is a guy around here still doing hot bluing,(i'll call him tomm., and see) so if it's ll done and ready, i can give it to him to blue, and then it's completely done.

do you think at least 4 shells will fit in it ?

know anyone who does checkering and final finish on the stock?

i'd like to do some kind of pistol grip cap as well, but it's not oval shaped exactly, so one would have to be fitted.
any ideas of one that can be shaped a lil and not look funky because of the shaping ?

how do you like the blank ? will it work for you ?

and again, thank you art.

mark

#1071623 - 03/18/10 12:31 AM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Slapping a matching ebony fore end tip and grip cap on there would not be tough or time consuming... I have scads of options for woods beyond ebony... I also have dall sheep horn, mammoth ivory, fossil walrus ivory, cape buffalo horn, water buffalo horn, rosewoods of at least two dozen varieties, African blackwood, banksia pod, redwood burl, and the list goes on...

Since you did the finishing I can mount a grip cap radiused and matching your grip (Riley REALLY liked the shape and thinks his next stock will have the swell) in wood with matching fore end tip ready for finishing for about $150. Knowing where you stand on the job front that can be paid when you can, in stages, whatever works for you. The horns and ivory are a bit more dear, but we can work something out.

Trying to do a metal grip cap would be tough...

I could attach a grip cap of ebony or one of the rosewoods that overlaps all edges and let you shape it... probably including more time than it would take me to do it... and then teach you to profile it... and attach a matching fore end tip and profile it so all you have to do is final sanding (they need to be "right" and that is tough to teach long distance) for $100, same terms.

Nothing is that difficult... Just that sometimes the time spent finishing stuff before it was ready can be a problem...
art

#1071660 - 03/18/10 04:32 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico mornin,

i have looked at a zillion pics of rifles, and i have never seen fossil walrus ivory, or horn as a grip cap that i can ever recall.
sounds cool.
but,
i am just starting back to work after a bit over 2 months, so payments would work.

look at my pics of the rifle.

it has a blasted s.s. fluted barrel, 26" long.
the recvr, mounts and scope are gloss black. the floor plate is matt s.s., screws and studs black.
i can change those to either all black, or everything s.s.

i think the forearm is a bit short for the 26" barrel, so a forened cap installed might be made maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 longer than what it's finished at right now.

with that color scheme going on i think rosewood would be too light of a color to match anything, so ebony would be better suited to bring some black up to the s.s. barrel for an offset contrasting color.
so if thats what you'd think go for a forend cap, but you can think over the color and do what you think looks best.

the grip cap ??

guess maybe you can pick something cool and unique to make it a custom stock.
if ebony to match, that's fine. or maybe pick out something exotic, i will pay.
and again, final shaping .. nope not me...

final sanding at 600 grits or so, that's fine,i can do that and i can add the tru oil again as well.

i guess what i am asking or saying, is you are an artist. you have somewhat of a blank canvas to work with.
this is a rifle i will have for the rest of my life.

you can have an open mind and make it a truely unique piece, and do what you like.

you have pics of what i have with the complete action and scope, colors, and barrel length.
send me back somethng that when i post pics, or show someone, their jaw drops !

gotta go to work.
moving a rig today.

mark

#1072992 - 03/18/10 08:54 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico just got home.
been thinking.

what does water buffalo horn look like for a forend cap ?
rough ? smooth and shiny ?

and walrus tusk for a grip cap ?

got any pics of the stuff ?

you have a good day ?

mark

#1073189 - 03/19/10 05:20 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico looked up walrus late last night.

nahhh,
i think it would look out of place.

off to work already..

have a great day art, thanks.

mark

#1074888 - 03/20/10 10:36 AM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Tweaked my back a little bit and my sitting time in front of the computer is greatly reduced. It will not be a big issue as it is getting better every day. Funny thing is I did it fixing a friend's back witha lift. He weighs about 280. I should know better.

All horn is a bit gaudy for fore end tips, but subtle in small doses like butt plates, grip caps and trigger guards.
art

#1074918 - 03/20/10 11:14 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

i am sorry for your back. i know the feeling, i'm getting old and oil field work takes it's toll some days.

i will leave the stock in your loving hands.
i guess since you can see pics of the completed rifle in the stock, you choose what foreend cap and grip cap to do.

surprise me with the choice.

i also need a final finish and checkering. who would you suggest for that ?
i don't want anything crazy, just something nice and functionable. i am not too crazy about real fine checkering, nor too course.

and is truoil an okay finish or should it be sanded back down and something else used to bring out the graining ?

thanks art, trying to sell some stocks to fund this.

mark

#1074935 - 03/20/10 11:25 AM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Sherry Abraham is the lady for checkering at a reasonable price. She was head of checkering at Kimber of OR and has been doing this longer than most anyone and is fast and reasonable.

http://www.checkering.com/

Tru-Oil is a finish I use a lot of. It is not particularlt weatherproof, but no oil finish really is. It is extremely easy to repair.
art

#1075012 - 03/20/10 12:27 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico okay, thank you.

#1078673 - 03/22/10 06:36 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico in case you need more pics to help you decide what you'd like to do to it.

thanks again art.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...ted#Post3898505

#1082137 - 03/25/10 03:55 AM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico hi art,
up n attem already this morning here.
was wondering how it was going ?
have you decided on what your going to use for the cap's ?
inletting going well ?

pics ?

and i pray your back is better.

take care,

mark

#1084492 - 03/26/10 05:18 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico i've got some birthday money that i need to send your way !
how much and what did you have in mind doing to it ?

ebony on the forearm tip and water buffalo on the grip ?

or ??

i see ya read the last pm's and know your back is out, but, the suspense is killing me !

mark

#1084602 - 03/26/10 06:22 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA My sitting and typing time is limited right now...

Ebony or African Blackwood will be on the tip... AB is more gray and I will look to see which looks best with the stock... Most would not know the difference, but AB has more black lines on a dark, dark gray base.

Cape buffalo may be the right thing for the grip. It matches better with AB usually as the water buffalo tends to be a little lighter. Again, I will have to hold it against the stock to see what it looks like.

Let me see what it takes, time wise, to slap these items on and we will go from there. I am pretty efficient on these types of things, especially shaping fore end tips...
art

#1084608 - 03/26/10 06:25 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico great !

sounds interesting.

i guess i'll kick back and let you do your thing, and wait for updates and/or pics.

thank you.

mark

#1084611 - 03/26/10 06:26 PM Re: got a question for you
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA I have been teaching two guys to build stocks and their stuff is in my way briefly... We will stab that piece in there soon.
art

#1084626 - 03/26/10 06:30 PM Re: got a question for you
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

if i would happen to want to shoot the rifle, i have a laminated stock it's been up n runnin in since it was built.

carl kampfeld told me my bolt was shipping yesterday or today, yesterday.

so take your time and i'll look forward to a cool stock with neet upgrades and exotic woods and horns !!

your back any better ?

mark

Top Edit

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
next pm
was wondering how the stock work was going, and if you decided what wood and type of horn you were going to use ??

pics ??

mark

#1109201 - 04/14/10 02:09 AM Re: any updates ?
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA I am slowly geting back to speed with my back. And right in the middle of it we start the AK Fly Fishers booth at the local sportsmans show and then out annual auction this coming Friday... I have been buried.

I should have a chance to make significant progress monday.

Have done a touch of cogitating on it...
art

#1109235 - 04/14/10 05:16 AM Re: any updates ?
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico that's fine.
was just wondering. no hurries.
been fireforming some nickle 280 cases. gotta have some bling shells to go with a bling gun !

i am up early too, my back is killin me this morning.
lower left side just plain hurts real bad today.

i think big trucks and the crappy seats have something to do with it.

i pray you heal quick.

take care and whenever is fine, was just curious as to what you thought you might use.

mark

#1139834 - 05/09/10 09:59 AM Re: any updates ?
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

been a few weeks again, and was wondering how things were going ?
back better ?

stock going okay ?

mark

#1140532 - 05/09/10 11:01 PM Re: any updates ?
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Back set me back quite a bit, but catching up and will probably have the stock done this week. All of the install, tip, grip cap will be done, just the finish may delay things slightly if it does not play well with others... Stay tuned for photos...
art

#1140560 - 05/10/10 03:38 AM Re: any updates ?
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico you da man.
your fast too !
thanks art. can't wait to see it.

mark

#1170898 - 06/07/10 06:28 AM Re: any updates ?
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

any updates on the stock ?

thanks,
mark

#1186875 - 06/23/10 03:00 AM Re: any updates ?
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA Got a call to make a simple run across the GUlf of Alaska with a smallish boat and left on the 2nd... Should take 4-5 days so I figured I could stretch things and take Riley with me for a glacier bear hunt along the way.

Instead we got hit with heavy Westerly weather for two weeks and hid in Yakutat for it... Got to drive around Icy Bay for a morning and that was the extent of the Glacier Bear hunt...

I am frazzled, more later.
art

#1194554 - 06/30/10 10:36 PM Re: any updates ?
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

going antelope hunting in sept. you think the stock will be ready for it?
trying to decide on guns to take and the 280ai is/was one of them.

your killin me...
what did you decide for the foreend tip and grip cap ?

did the trap turn out nice ?

thank you,
mark

#1194574 - 06/30/10 11:16 PM Re: any updates ?
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA I am jumping through hoops right and left... will try to get some pictures posted for you... Trying to do them "right" and not doing well because my primary reflector got ripped off and I find I relied on it too much!

Long as I am making you struggle I will turn up the pressure on the thumbscrews... It does not suck...

#1194615 - 07/01/10 04:47 AM Re: any updates ?
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico okay, take your time.
i can take it in the laminated stock it's in.

fire formed nickle cases for it, and they turned out great.
loaded 140 ttsx's and they shoot just as well as factory ai cases.
pic's would be nice, but again, just hadn't heard from you, and was checking.
i have patiance.

mornin, btw, 4:46 am here leaving for work in ust a few.

mark

#1210588 - 07/16/10 01:53 PM Re: any updates ?
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

been a few weeks and no pics ?
just checking up...
mark

#1224441 - 07/28/10 06:18 PM Re: any updates ?
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA mark
Has been ridiculous... I have been home less than a week total since early June. Will not be home again until late tomorrow... Your stock has the highest priority of the work in the shop.
art

#1224758 - 07/29/10 04:08 AM Re: any updates ?
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico laughing !!!!

okay, no worries my friend.

take your time. you have a busy life.

be careful.

get to it later or over the winter. when things settle down.

mark

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
next pm
i know your hammered with requests for the guns, and i'd like a list too.
but, since you have the camera out, lemme see how the cartridge trap and fore end cap and grip cap look on my stock please.

thanks,
mark

#1250073 - 08/19/10 02:37 PM Re: pics
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

Loc: n.w. new mexico and any pics for me yet ?
i see the rugers are getting some posted !

#1250087 - 08/19/10 02:48 PM Re: pics
Sitka deer
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA I have some pictures...

Ran into a problem with the shape of the stock... The starboard side is slightly concave and the port side is decidedly perchbellied. When I eyeballed it the trap did not look like it went down far enough to create an issue. I was wrong. I wrongly assumed the perchbelly would hide it.

Have spent more time than I anticipated by a considerable margin. It will not cause you any extra cost as it was my mistake. I have had to work the port side to flatten it... which is better anyway.

Had cut into it before I realized what was going to happen or I would never have gone there. Nothing that cannot be fixed... Just time.
art

#1250245 - 08/19/10 04:57 PM Re: pics
splattermatic
Campfire Guide

take your time. it's been a while, and thought i'd ask again to see what it looks like.

mark

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 64 invisible), 3,071 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.