Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The 6mm-284 would be better IMO. That pile driver firing pin in that Mauser isn't going to help your accuracy but it will ignite a primer.

Guess you missed this the first time around.

Originally Posted by BradArnett
It would be a lot better in an action other than a Mauser. The long lock time is a hinderance. A regular .243 Winchester would be just as good.

Tell me about YOUR 243AI?

So now maybe you could tell me about your 6-284 while your at it. Good luck.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The wildcats are dead and have been for years. They offer nothing. That said if you want to waste your money make it worth your while. The AIs are no better that their factory parents.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's official...you're an idiot.

What about guns?When do we get guns?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The wildcats are dead and have been for years. They offer nothing. That said if you want to waste your money make it worth your while. The AIs are no better that their factory parents.

I'll give you one thing.....you are funny.

So tell me about your 243AI and 6-284.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Northeastern Oklahoma had a lot of quarter-mile section fences, especially around Chelsea. Whitetails died quickly at a quarter mile with 85 grain Sierra HPBT bullets started out at 3000 fps muzzle velocity. There is a lot of open pasture land there. The shots were taken from one fence across the open pasture to deer walking down the other fence line. As a kid, I watched my shooting mentor do this several times over the years. He normally used the heart shot with his 6mm Remington in a M700 BDL Varmint Special.

A large number of coyotes met their demise at the same distance from the same load. Crows sitting in some of the Osage Orange trees along the fence also met the same fate. That particular fence line was the game highway.

At 600 yards, the same bullet would just pencil through a coyote. My friend felt that 600 yards was about the limit for clean kills on coyotes and did not shoot deer at that range.

The same load also killed hogs in Southeastern Oklahoma on timber land at much shorter ranges.

My shooting mentor was an exceptional rifleman.

Many years later, I took large Western Kansas whitetails/mule deer with my 6mm using the same bullet at the same speed around Plainville. There is a lot of open space there. You can get close shots in a gully or creek bottom. You can also get long shots across a stubble field. And in that part of Kansas, wind is almost always a factor. I made a kill one year at over 400 paces across a wheat stubble field. That was a big doe, much bigger than those in Oklahoma. Those big round hay bales make good shooting rests.

If a 6mm Remington reliably kills deer at 440 yards, I suspect that the standard .243 Winchester would, too. I am not sure how much further the improved version will extend the range. Other factors such as wind, mirage, and shooter ability get real important much past 300 yards. These days I have a self-imposed limit of 250 yards. Years ago I burned up a lot of ammo in practice and varmint shooting. These days I am lucky to get to the range a few times per year.

In open country, I would feel confident with that setup on deer were I still up to the task. However, I lived in South Carolina for a few years and did some shooting across soybean fields from tree stands. There I would not use the .243 on deer at that kind of range. The reason is that sometimes the deer will run a ways even with a heart-lung shot. The bean fields I hunted over were surrounded by thick woods. The bullet did not always exit and sometimes there was not much of a blood trail. In Oklahoma and Kansas we could see literally for miles and could follow a deer with our eyes for 40 to 50 yards if one ran. In South Carolina, I lost a doe that ran from the field into the woods. We found it the next day with a dog, but the meat was lost. The hit was good but no blood trail. After that I switched to a heavier caliber.

So, in my experience, the 6mm will kill reliably out to a quarter mile. Also in my experience, the deer will sometimes run a few yards. I would not use it, improved or not, at that distance in wooded country.

Got it covered with the 22 LR, 30-06, and 12 gauge.
The rest are just for fun.
NRA Life Member
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That extra 50fps the AI gives you will make a huge difference;)

Of course is you exceed safe pressure levels you can gain a few more fps.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH
...... This is the 21st century, and they sucked even back in the day.

Good grief!...... sick

He is the gift that keeps on giving...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I were inclined to build a 243, the AI would easily get the nod. It wont' cost a dime more, save for the dies, and why not take the advantage and attempt to keep the turbulence point in the neck on top of it.

Even if you are like Brad..... the node isn't at max, it'll still be humming right along. If Brad went 243, and had to back off to find the node, he'd be another 100 or so fps slower.

Just because its AI doesn't mean you HAVE to drive it that way but at least you have the option.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Less Trimming And A Little More Case Capacity. Win-Win.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't own a .243, or the AI version, just the 6mm Rem.

Here's a link though, to an excellent article on the .243 and the .243AI: http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

Guy

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
If I were inclined to build a 243, the AI would easily get the nod. It wont' cost a dime more, save for the dies, and why not take the advantage and attempt to keep the turbulence point in the neck on top of it.

Even if you are like Brad..... the node isn't at max, it'll still be humming right along. If Brad went 243, and had to back off to find the node, he'd be another 100 or so fps slower.

Just because its AI doesn't mean you HAVE to drive it that way but at least you have the option.

My long post might have been a little confusing. I just got on a roll and might have drifted of course a little once I got typing.

I only played with 1 box of VLD's when I first got the rifle and I couldn't hit the next node with '22, but I DID get it with '17. I'm not running them at 3050 since I made the switch.

I'm at 3250 w/the moly'd 105Amax's and 44.5gr of '17. I've shot a handful of moly'd 105VLD's with 44gr of '17 and I haven't poked them through a chrony....yet. I'm "guessing" they're around the 3200 range as is, but I'm not going to work up any higher with the VLD until I sit down behind the chrony.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That extra 50fps the AI gives you will make a huge difference;)

Of course is you exceed safe pressure levels you can gain a few more fps.

Come on, you can do better than that. Rather than talk out of your ass just post your experiences. There's always google.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I fear that he IS posting his experiences...which amount to........

talking out his ass...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
...... This is the 21st century, and they sucked even back in the day.

Good grief!...... sick

He is the gift that keeps on giving...
So true.

I need to shoot my .243AI here someday......course you know its outdated and wont offer me much over the original... crazy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Should I go ahead and throw my .223AIs out?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what? Now i have to build a 243AI???? i hate you guys!!!! grins

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

lets not get crazy now! grins

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You gain no advantages when firing off of golf carts.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How about if you "improved" your golf cart...you know..made it go faster...?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
Originally Posted by ingwe

lets not get crazy now! grins

Ingwe done bumped his head. (grin) I think the 223AI would probably the one I would part with.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,114
Posts18,464,448
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.