Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was checking that out Fordisto. I love the look!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i bought a M70 FTW when i finally found one. had no idea why i wanted it but i just had to have it. It's ok accurate but i believe it was built towards the end of the New Haven production. It fits me well and i like the package. it's an honest 1.5 MOA rifle. Plenty good enough for hunting!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
i bought a M70 FTW when i finally found one. had no idea why i wanted it but i just had to have it. It's ok accurate but i believe it was built towards the end of the New Haven production. It fits me well and i like the package. it's an honest 1.5 MOA rifle. Plenty good enough for hunting!

HERETIC! smile

Paul, you might be the only person on this whole forum who has a rifle that won't hold 1/2 MOA to a thousand yards!

Someone just had a thread about this topic a little while ago where they quoted Chuck Hawks saying basically the same thing regarding hunting accuracy. From some of the responses you think ole Chuck had insulted their wives and/or god!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got plenty of rifles that'll hold well under MOA but i also have one's that don't. I prefer them to be about 1 MOA or less from a bench. but who cares really? if it'll hit what i'm shooting at at the ranges that i'll shoot it, i'm happy...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've yet to find one in factory form that suits me. Have set to building them, with the first build recently complete, I just ordered another barrel so I guess I haven't quite gotten it right yet. Haven't a hell of a lot of fun though! smile

IC B2

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
A friend of mine just sent me a list of rifles he has for sale and he has a Steyr Safe Bolt (blue/walnut) in 6.5x55 - He's asking $1000.

OrangeOkie, here's a Steyr for $699 that includes a Sighton 6-24x42 scope: http://deepsouthguns.com/dsguns/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=389

QUESTION FOR THE GROUP:

Do you think $1K for a M-70 Classic FWT (99% condition) in 6.5x55 is fair?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i think that's way too much... i wouldn't pay more than 750 and it'd have to be calling me bad....

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Paul. Appreciate the input.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My first choice would be a Sako AV, but they are hard to find -I have had 4 of them.

However, of those you listed, I'd go for the

Winchester M-70 Classic Featherweight - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $762.

- Winchester M-70 Classic Featherweight - 6.5x55, sts./walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $859

NRA Benefactor member
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here is the M-70 Classic FWT in 6.5x55 I'm considering:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That's a nice looking rifle and it's a red pad to boot. To be completely honest a grand seems a bit high to me. I just purchased a fwt in 6.5x55 and I did not give that for mine. I can't say how mine shoots as I haven't had the weather/ time to get to the range,something I hope to correct in the near future. They are very nice rifles but I will have to point out that you could find a new one in 7mm-08 for 2/3 the price and once you close the bolt you won't know the difference.For the savings you could put a nice 3x9 bushy 4200 that's on sale on it. If you really want a 6.5 and I don't blame you, then the CZ is my choice for half the price or for a grand one of the ruger #1a"s would be the way to go. Just my $.02

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That one is advertised "as new" and well may be. Still, value depends somewhat on desire. If you want it bad enough it's worth the price. Just figure in what shipping and FFL receiving is going to cost along with the rifle. I already have one so it's not worth a grand to me. I'd think $900 shipped is enough of a premium for being a 6.5x55 but that's just an opinion. Others will come available but as some have mentioned not as frequently as in the past. Were I without one now I'd seriously look for a long action featherweight at a bargain price for a rebarrel. FWIW

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm also looking at a Sako AV. Also have some private offers. Weighing pros and cons. There are actually more 6.5x55's available than you would think. Thanks for the recommendations!

I have checked out the CZ's and I like their solid construction and true CRF. However, the balance/fit does not feel as good to me as the M70. I think I like a slimmer profile.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Ruger m77 mk II that I like very much. Extremely accurate with just about anything you put in it from 100-160 grs. I'm also impressed by CZ. The Tikka isn't very traditional, but everybody I've heard of who has one likes it.

Good luck with your gun shopping!

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In today's world, I say get the rifle and action brand you want, the stock you want, and finally do the barrel you want thru a custom gunsmith.

If you have an action you already like, the barrel is a lot cheaper than a new rifle.

From ER Shaw to Pac Nor, to Douglas, they will all give you more than a field hunting rifle barrel at decent prices...

if you want benchrest accuracy, there are those out there also..

The 6.5 x 55 is just an inherently accurate cartridge..it is worth it getting the barrel length you want, the contour you desire... just the same as picking the scope you want...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My Sako 85 is my favorite 6.5X55 and maybe my favorite rifle altogether. I don't think you'd be disappointed with one.

Mathew 22: 37-39

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
In today's world, I say get the rifle and action brand you want, the stock you want, and finally do the barrel you want thru a custom gunsmith.

If you have an action you already like, the barrel is a lot cheaper than a new rifle.

From ER Shaw to Pac Nor, to Douglas, they will all give you more than a field hunting rifle barrel at decent prices...

if you want benchrest accuracy, there are those out there also..

The 6.5 x 55 is just an inherently accurate cartridge..it is worth it getting the barrel length you want, the contour you desire... just the same as picking the scope you want...

Seafire,

I'd be all over that but I think going the custom route would really increase the price tag, no?

p.s. - I ran a build at ER Shaw and requested a quote. We'll see what they come back with.

p.p.s. - Was quoted $950 and 16 month turnaround time.

Last edited by EricM; 03/29/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A vote for the M70 6.5x55. Admit the $1000 asking is a bit high, but consider a) what does a new FN manufacture cost b) new M70 not manufactured in 6.5SE c) it may be what you want. And d) it's a 6.5x55 CRF M70 for goodness sakes, how nice is that?

Am not saying money grows on trees, but I wouldn't fault you for paying for it, if you want/need it now and have the budget (entirely personal matter), vs waiting around unknown number of months to save $100 on another one, likely in no better condition at that one. Such is life; your call.

Disclaimer: would like one myself but up to eyeballs in projects already.

edit to add: p.s. shrapnel just sold a M70 .257 for a few thousand on the classifieds; a rifle's worth what another guy is willing to pay.

Last edited by sandcritter; 03/29/11. Reason: p.s.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EricM
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
A friend of mine just sent me a list of rifles he has for sale and he has a Steyr Safe Bolt (blue/walnut) in 6.5x55 - He's asking $1000.

OrangeOkie, here's a Steyr for $699 that includes a Sighton 6-24x42 scope: http://deepsouthguns.com/dsguns/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=389

QUESTION FOR THE GROUP:

Do you think $1K for a M-70 Classic FWT (99% condition) in 6.5x55 is fair?

That is a good price for that gun, but it is not the same as the walnut stocked Safe Bolt I pictured above, which is what my friend has for sale, only in blue. It is quite rare in my musings on GB.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've ten of the things and the Finnlight is where I'd turn at this point. Either that or I'd find a Rem Mod 700 SS Long action, order a PacNor Mtn rifle contour barrel and put it in a Ti take off or an Edge.

I do have a Husqvarna 270 Branded for S&W. Slickest action I've ever seen. Thinking about having it rebarreled... but the stock may be a bear to find. We'll see smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,417 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.