Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The range isn't the issue, its the impact fan zone thats a HUGE safety issue. I have a bulldozed berm on our property line... but should one ever stray....lucky there isnt' much there save a hay barn and cattle mostly.

We have 100 acres, I can get 1000 out of that the way it sits. And that range could be... guessing, about 500 yards wide too...

From surveying my old boss always said, acre is 208x208 basically.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's why I like living here in so. Idaho. I can drive 7 miles to BLM land, set up a bench, and shoot 40 miles across BLM land to the NV border. Across the border, there's a whole lot more of it. It's not as handy as shooting out the back door, but it's very cheap.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kaiser
Looking to buy enough acreage to build a 800 yard range. Can someone tell me approximately how many acres in a straight line I would have to have to get to this distance? This will also settle an argument. Thanks.

Order a copy of "The NRA Range Manual",......it's ALL there, and the veracity is such that it IS the Manual Adopted by Arizona Dept. of Game and Fish for ALL State and Private Commercial Ranges.

Do you know how to spell "Impact Area"?

What it REALLY means?

Safe "10* FIRE FANS" ?

Before anybody goes all 'Typical Crossfire" I've BUILT more then a couple,....and none of it gets easier.

The "Length" of a 800 yd range may well be 5-10 times more then the ACTUAL course,.....

Question A. .........What calibers (800 yd calls out LARGE and fast)

Question B. ........'Fire fans' ,.....vertical, horizontal, lateral, and tangental.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Kaiser Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
To all that replied. Thanks. I think I got it now. I think.

Gary Pfluke
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have a specific area you are looking at, this site will measure acreage you outline using Google maps and satellite views.

http://acme.com/planimeter/

At least in my area, Google maps now shows property lines in rural areas. You can trace the outline of a property and see the acreage.

Bruce

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That's why I like living here in so. Idaho. I can drive 7 miles to BLM land, set up a bench, and shoot 40 miles across BLM land to the NV border. Across the border, there's a whole lot more of it. It's not as handy as shooting out the back door, but it's very cheap.

Maybe a deserted spagehtti factory?
Or a Montana Dental Floss farm?

LOL sorry I wish I had 800 yds to play on again.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bcp
If you have a specific area you are looking at, this site will measure acreage you outline using Google maps and satellite views.

http://acme.com/planimeter/

At least in my area, Google maps now shows property lines in rural areas. You can trace the outline of a property and see the acreage.

Bruce

That's a good site. Thanks for posting.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
800 yds is roughly 1/2 mile (880 yds to be exact). If the land is surveyed in townships and sections, that's 1/2 way across a section.

Sections of ground vary in size. They are not an exact one mile by one mile. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Kaiser
Looking to buy enough acreage to build a 800 yard range. Can someone tell me approximately how many acres in a straight line I would have to have to get to this distance? This will also settle an argument. Thanks.

Order a copy of "The NRA Range Manual",......it's ALL there, and the veracity is such that it IS the Manual Adopted by Arizona Dept. of Game and Fish for ALL State and Private Commercial Ranges.

Do you know how to spell "Impact Area"?

What it REALLY means?

Safe "10* FIRE FANS" ?

Before anybody goes all 'Typical Crossfire" I've BUILT more then a couple,....and none of it gets easier.

The "Length" of a 800 yd range may well be 5-10 times more then the ACTUAL course,.....

Question A. .........What calibers (800 yd calls out LARGE and fast)

Question B. ........'Fire fans' ,.....vertical, horizontal, lateral, and tangental.

GTC

FIre fan or what I call impact zone is what kills it. If its private for your own use, IMHO there is a hair bit less issue, with a good impact berm, if its for others use or especially open to the public... you better cross Ts and dot I's..... And a guy here did an idiot thing and built a 1000 yard one wiht a county road RIGHT next to it, regardless of suggestions not to.... I'd say at some point it'll be closed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the Garmin GPS offer an area function; basically you walk the boundries and once your back at the start, the GPS calculates the enclosed acreage..

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
800 yds is roughly 1/2 mile (880 yds to be exact). If the land is surveyed in townships and sections, that's 1/2 way across a section.

Sections of ground vary in size. They are not an exact one mile by one mile. miles

Not so in the flat lands.
A section of ground means exactly that. 1 Square mile. 640 ac.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pretty flat here. We raise lots of rice. What do they do about the problem of putting a square piece of property on a round surface, where you live? I have surveyed a long time and things aren't always what they are supposed to be. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
One ONE acre you could have a range over 14,500 yards long ....if it was one inch wide.

Perfect!!! Oh yeah!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
One ONE acre you could have a range over 14,500 yards long ....if it was one inch wide.

Perfect!!! Oh yeah!
Might run into issues on days with a cross wind though. wink

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Never seen a perfect section, and have seen lots of them. Flat, steep, rolling, brush, clear..... never seen a perfect one.

In theory they are supposed to be 1 square mile and exactly 640 ac. but that is only theory.....

There is only two reasons that a section would be perfect, someone [bleep] up or someone is lying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An 800-yard range requires more than 800 yards in a usable straight line.

You must add to that 800 yards from muzzle to target some more distance behind the muzzle and beyond the target. How much room depends on what you have to have in those two areas � shooting bench, back-stop, etc.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
OK. One. A rod by a half mile. 40 yards for backstop and 40 yards to park and set up. if you are missing the target by more than 8.25 feet either way it may be time to shoot at shorter range, which this permits. ;-{>

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Never seen a perfect section, and have seen lots of them. Flat, steep, rolling, brush, clear..... never seen a perfect one.

In theory they are supposed to be 1 square mile and exactly 640 ac. but that is only theory.....

There is only two reasons that a section would be perfect, someone [bleep] up or someone is lying.

Don't know where you're from, but I think you'd be surprised.
There's vast areas in Nebraska where the roads are all neatly and lovingly placed in one mile increments, both directions. Sure, there's oddities along the way, such as correction lines at county borders and where drainages cut through, but one mile by one mile "sections" of land are monotonously common. Between this and adjacent states there's literally millions of them.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Southern Idaho is laid out the same way in the populated areas. There are corrections every so many townships to allow for earth curvature, of course.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
How wide do you want it?

An acre is 43,560 sf or so.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,238
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.