Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Working as a Nature Photographer definitely has its benefits. Among them are traveling, spending time outdoors and being able to study and watch wildlife. There is not a lot of difference in photographing wildlife vs. hunting wildlife in the way you prepare. You have to scout, find the right location and use the right equipment to get the shot. I have found a great quality lens that is very affordable that allows me to capture my wildlife photos. The Tamron 200-500mm lens .
The lens is lightweight at 43 ounces and under 9 inches in length. The lens has a tripod collar that allows you to mount it to a tripod or monopod for better balance when shooting. As with all Tamron lenses, the lens hood is included also. The lens fits full frame DSLRs as well as APS-C sensor cameras and will work with traditional 35mm film SLRs. The glass is LD, which is Tamron�s designation for Low Dispersion Glass, perfect for capturing sharp images. The lens has internal focusing which allows for closer minimum focus distance throughout the zoom range. It is also a benefit when using a polarizer on the lens as the front element does not rotate as you focus.
What does all of this mean? The photographer is able to capture great wildlife images while carrying a lightweight and inexpensive lens. It is capable of producing extremely sharp images throughout the zoom range. I use it for birding, mammals and even for some portraiture work. I have it from a really good source right now that Camera Land is throwing in a monopod with the purchase of the lens from them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
is the vignetting in the first shot a result of lens/sensor combo or was it done in PP, ie. Lightroom etc?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The vignetting was all done during post processingin PS CS5. I wanted more emphasis on the white horse.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Chris, another thing, you can usually tell in camera vignetting vs. post processing by the amount of "feathering" that is present. Most people that add it during the processing will feather it so it falls off more gradually. With in camera, you tend to have a harder vignette especially as you work your way through the apertures. You can also tell by the amount of detail in the vignetted area. In processing you are simply darkening the edges, where in camera it is actually an optical cause and detail gets lost. Thanks again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be nice if someone had two of the same bodies and put one of these lenses on one body and a canon L lens on the other body. Mounted them on a bar on the same tripod, and used one hand to release one camera and the other hand to release the other camera, at the same time.

(kind of like checking to see if one boot is warmer than the other. Put one brand on one foot and the other brand on the other foot, and go out walking)

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
That would be interesting to see. The above images were shot at 500mm and f8. One thing to consider though is neither Canon or Nikon make a lens in this range. For Canon they make a 100-400mm and 1.4x tele-converter. Nikon makes a 200-400mm and a 1.4x tele-converter. You won't be using IR or VR because you are on a tripod. For the Canon you are looking $2000, the Nikon $7,000-$8,000. Now granted there might be situations where the VR will come in handy and that makes a difference possibly. The Tamron is substantially less. I shot these with the D-700 and have blown the horse image up to 30-40inches in a print. I am very pleased with the sharpness.
I would still love to see the side by side test though.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does Tamron makea lens that big with IR/VR? I find that I get in to quite a few situations were there isn't time for the tripod (if I even have one with me) and the VR is a handy feature hand holding heavy lenses like a 200-400. But as you mentioned- you pay a hefty price for them.

Example: these were shot at or near 400mm free hand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

RC

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Currently the longest lens with VC (their designation for vibration compensation) is the 70-300mm VC PZD. I use a monopod most of the time when I am "working" wildlife. Both images I posted earlier are off of a monopod.
Nice images by the way!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm heading to Africa this summer, and been contemplating a long range telephoto zoom. I currently have the Canon 100-400mm, but was thinking a little bit more range would be nice.

Obviously I don't have deep enough pockets for the Canon L Primes (500mm f/4 ; 600mm f/4), and besides, they're a little too heavy and unwieldy.

In addition to the Tamron 200-500mm, I'm considering these two:

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO
Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO

Both are heavier than the Tamron, but I've been lead to believe that either Sigma lens are optically better than the Tamron, plus they have the added bonus of having stabilization.

Appreciate feedback and advice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess I'll have to figure out what I did with my monopod! smile

RC

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
FOsteology, I will try the best I can but there are a lot of variables involved. Are you shooting full frame or APS-C. With APS-C you get the benefit of narrowing your angle of view and have roughly a 540mm with your 100-400mm. With another lens you will have an 800mm roughly. Another variable is where your trip is at in Africa and is it with a photography tour or general tour? On a photography tour the vehicles you will travel in are designed to shoot through a stand up roof. Plus on photo trips they will turn off the engine to reduce vibration also. A tripod or monopod probably is not a possibility but a bean bag may be.
This is the trip of a lifetime possibly so taking the right equipment is obviously important. I obviously have seen and used the Tamron. I have seen images from the 150-500mm, they are good. I have not seen the 50-500mm however. On a photo specific trip non VC (VR) would probably be fine, but I would not recommend missing a shot because of movement. I can't honestly imagine the Sigma lenses being optically better but if the security of knowing you can get the shot is there, I would recommend the 150-500mm. A cost saving alternative could also be to get a 1.4x tele-converter for the 100-400mm.
I hope this has helped a little bit. Camera Land offers several versions of the 1.4x tele converter starting as low as $229. You will lose only a stop of light with the converter which is only a half stop at the maximum range vs. the Sigma. If you have any other questions please let me know. I look forward to some great images from Africa!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting a Canon 7D (APS-C) and I'll shoot with and without a monopod (depending on circumstances) as this will be a hunting safari with my youngest son.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I would loose AF with a TC on the Canon 100-400mm. Interesting enough, I've read that with good light, the Tamron 200-500mm with a Kenco 1.4x will still AF (albeit slow). I just wonder how much it would need to be stopped down, and at what ISO to get sharp pictures.

The weight of the Tamron is a plus, but pictures I've seen online show the lens looking like a bazooka fully extended! How well does it balance??

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
It is very lightweight. Bazooka...they should use that in their ads! The lens hood is a good part of that though. The Sigma is about the same. I would think though you would not even need a tele converter with the 500mm though. You are effectively looking at 800mm on the long end. I haven't heard about the loss of AF on the Canon. With the 7D you should pick up a few stops with the ISO if needed too. Beyond early morning and late evening, lighting should not be an issue. A monopod will make a huge difference. It balances great especially with the tripod collar.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fost,

For your Africa trip, IS/VR is your friend! If you do a photo drive in Kruger, you are basically not allowed to leave the vehicle. So tripods/monopods are of little use(not to mention a pain to transport on the flight. What I got the most use of, is a Bush Hawk shoulder stock, and a bean bag. As with a rifle, if you rest the shoulder stock on something, coupled with IS/VR, you can get some really sharp shots with long glass. Take an empty bean bag, and fill it over there. Set on wound down car window, and rest your lens just like a rifle on sandbags...works really well. If you use 3 legged shooting sticks, they make a passable support for a long lens, in a pinch! You'll definitely want your 100-400 at least. If you can go longer do it.

Also take a full compliment of gleaning gear. A good dust bulb is a must, and it would be a real good idea to have a means to clean your sensor. It can be damn dusty.

We're going back in 2 weeks and can't wait! Hope you have a great trip!

Jeff

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Jeff makes some great points. Another thing to check out is if you are using a shooting stick, a lot of them have forks that will unscrew on the stick. The screw is typically a 1/4 x20, which happens to be the threads in a tripod collar. Since it is hunting trip getting multi use out of some of your equipment is a bonus. Taking a couple of old empty pillow cases works great to cover your equipment during travel and then fill them as a bean bag. Jeff's idea of the rifle stock is really a great way of shooting long lenses.
Jeff, are you going on a photo tour or hunt. I look forward to seeing some great shots! You should take a photo of your set up over there as a demo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We'll be hunting with both rifles and cameras. Probably spend more time with a camera this time. It's a target rich environment for both!

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate the input.

The more I think about it, seems I would probably be best served by keeping and using the Canon 100-400 and enlarge/crop if necessary.

Too bad Canon doesn't have an affordable 500mm Prime like they do with the 300mm and 400mm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I'm a Nikon user, and have never used a 100-400 IS, I think it will make a great lens for handheld or improvised support. Take lots of memory cards!!!

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FOsteology,
I've got a Bigma (Sigma 50-500). I haven't shot with it much, but I could try shooting it handheld, and off a monopod with my crop sensor 30D if you think it would help you.
Chris.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Appreciate the input.

The more I think about it, seems I would probably be best served by keeping and using the Canon 100-400 and enlarge/crop if necessary.

Hey Bob,
Did you ever get the Osa Mauser?
As far as AF goes with a 1.4x TC you may want to research that as some of the aftermarket TC's like the Kenko or Tammy may not report and so your AF will work. You can also tape the left three pins so your your 100-400 will AF with the 1.4x. I have done this with the 100-400 several times. However this is something you want to test with your lens in advance as the AF can be slower.
Instead of just focusing on FL I'd suggest you give aperture some thought as well. The 100-400 is already f5.6 @ 400mm and you loose another stop with the TC.
You may want to consider looking for a used Canon 300 f2.8. You could use it then re-sell it after your trip and have use of the lens for little more than the cost of freight. This is far more cost effective than renting if the purchase is an option. This way you would have 300 2.8 and 420 f4IS with the TC at a fraction of the cost of the 500 f4IS.
Either way the 100-400L is a great piece of glass for your trip that offers a lot of flexibility.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=29503

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
513 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.