Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bald1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Would appreciate evaluation comments.....

[Linked Image]

-=[Bob]=-
GB1

B
Bald1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Interesting. I would have thought someone would be using a small astro scope marketed as a spotter for range duty if nothing else.

Frankly I've been looking at replacing my old Korean made Tasco 34TZB 18-36x50 armored spotting scope with something more capable yet not breaking the bank.

I have a nice astronomy set up based on an Intes Micro MN56 Maksutov - Newtonian. But it takes awhile to drag it out, set it up, and let it equalize (temperature) with the environment. Having a smaller scope that would see prime duties as a spotter and double as a "grab 'n go" dark skies tube would be a nice way to go. That means it needs to accept standard 1.25" eyepieces among other things.

Anyhow.... I'm stll looking and weighing things.

[Linked Image]

-=[Bob]=-
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a celestron spoting scope (not the 90 model) and it is a piece of crap the optics are grey and anything past about 75 yards you can not focus in on what you are looking at.
As a 50 yarder it is just ok.

Good lick on your search

B
Bald1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Unless I'm mistaken, about the only "traditional" spotters that take astro eyepieces are the Pentax and one of the Hawke models. If there are any others they're below my radar frown

-=[Bob]=-
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Celestron Regal spotting scopes take astro eyepieces. I have a Meade ETX 90 using off mount works as a high power spotter.
http://www.adorama.com/CNR65.html

I didn't see that Doug has these in stock.

Last edited by SteveWM; 03/22/11.

Regards,Steve
IC B2

B
Bald1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SteveWM
Celestron Regal spotting scopes take astro eyepieces. I have a Meade ETX 90 using off mount works as a high power spotter.

There are some limitations unfortunately:

"What eyepieces will work best with my Regal F-ED spotting scope? Will all eyepieces focus with the scope?
Answer

The Regal F-ED series spotters have a 1.25� eyepiece holder and the OEM-supplied zoom eyepiece is easily removed from the scope by a twist of a knurled ring. Because 1.25� barrel-diameter eyepieces are very widely available, you can use other eyepieces with your Regal.

However, not all eyepieces will work with the scope because of the design of the internal focusing and 45-degree prism assemblies. This places the image plane for the spotter�s objective at about the back of the knurled ring. So the Regals have a small back focus distance.

Eyepieces that have long 1.25� nosepieces or barrels (with field lenses recessed about 1 inch or more) generally won�t be able to achieve infinity focus with the Regal spotters. Nor will 1.25-inch- type T-adapters or Barlow lenses work with the scopes.

The OEM zoom eyepiece has both a short nosepiece and its field lens at all magnifications is close to the end of the nosepiece tube. Eyepieces that will work with the Regal will have similar physical characteristics. As an example, most eyepieces of the Celestron X-Cel series have these characteristics and will work with the Regal F-ED series."

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support...&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2329

-=[Bob]=-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bald1
Interesting. I would have thought someone would be using a small astro scope marketed as a spotter for range duty if nothing else.

Are they as robust as a standard spotter? Are the waterproof?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Bob, I thought that MN 56 looked familar. Did you get all your house things done mooreorless?

Originally Posted by SteveWM

There are some limitations unfortunately:

"What eyepieces will work best with my Regal F-ED spotting scope? Will all eyepieces focus with the scope?
Answer

The Regal F-ED series spotters have a 1.25� eyepiece holder and the OEM-supplied zoom eyepiece is easily removed from the scope by a twist of a knurled ring. Because 1.25� barrel-diameter eyepieces are very widely available, you can use other eyepieces with your Regal.

However, not all eyepieces will work with the scope because of the design of the internal focusing and 45-degree prism assemblies. This places the image plane for the spotter�s objective at about the back of the knurled ring. So the Regals have a small back focus distance.

Eyepieces that have long 1.25� nosepieces or barrels (with field lenses recessed about 1 inch or more) generally won�t be able to achieve infinity focus with the Regal spotters. Nor will 1.25-inch- type T-adapters or Barlow lenses work with the scopes.

The OEM zoom eyepiece has both a short nosepiece and its field lens at all magnifications is close to the end of the nosepiece tube. Eyepieces that will work with the Regal will have similar physical characteristics. As an example, most eyepieces of the Celestron X-Cel series have these characteristics and will work with the Regal F-ED series."

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support...&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2329

Regards,Steve
B
Bald1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Pete E

Are they as robust as a standard spotter? Are the waterproof?

There are some astro based spotters that are waterproof or even armored. The C90 version I illustrated above is not although it is kitted with a backpack. But for use at a range it shouldn't matter.

-=[Bob]=-
B
Bald1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Steve,

It was a struggle but a qualified yes. I had to have one area redone and unfortunately there is yet another that has developed issues that will also need to be readdressed. That said, the "heavy lifting" is indeed over smile

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the newly redesigned C90. It has morf'ed over the years from 1000mm to 1200mm to now 1250mm and the flip mirror is gone as well. There's even a few who have added 2" eyepiece capability which they laud.

-=[Bob]=-
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are some astro based spotters that are waterproof or even armored. The C90 version I illustrated above is not although it is kitted with a backpack. But for use at a range it shouldn't matter.

Personally, these days, I won't buy optics that are not waterproof...if its not waterproof, its liable to fog...

If you do buy one, it will be interesting to hear how it performs optically for viewing bullet holes...

Last edited by Pete E; 03/22/11.
B
Bald1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Pete,

Astro scopes (Refractors, Mak-Newts, Mak-Cass, Schmidt-Cass but not basic Newtonian designs) are well sealed and not prone to fog at all. The open Newtonions to include Dobsonian variants will see dew on their mirrors if preventative measures are not taken when setting them up for temperature equalization at the observing site.

Bottom line is the C90 Maksutov-Cassegrain design is not one that should prove problematic at all. It's size is not conducive to packing in on a hunt. But it is one that hopefully will be able to resolve fine detail at distance. Note that Steve posted above that his Meade ETX90 (like the newest C90, a Mak-Cass 90x1250mm f/13.8) is used as a high power spotter.

-=[Bob]=-
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Bob, I am glad you have most of your house upgrade done, sorry to hear you have some trouble.

You will have to let us know what you think of the new C90.

Regards,Steve
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of using other eyepieces in the Celestrons, I'll share this FWIW. I have a Celestron Regal 16-48x60 F-ED scope and I purchased a separate 25mm X-Cel eyepiece for it to see if it was noticeably better than the 16-48 zoom eyepiece that came with it. The 16-48 is outstanding on it's own merit, so I was just wondering just how good it could get if I used a fixed powere lens.
Based on my limited informal testing, I found the 25mm X-Cel not to be ANY better...none, nada, zilch. Sent it back for a refund.

B
Bald1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Triggernosis,

Given what Ken of Ken's Rings shows here (6th scope down: http://www.kendauzat.net/tele/tele_main.html) and some comments I've found from others about their experiences with the new design C90, I may play with converting mine to handle 2" eyepieces (especially since I have a bunch I use with my big telescope). The rear of the C90 has male T threads so converting them with an adapter to accept a 2" eyepiece holder or 2" star diagonal would be easy. Too bad 2" erect image diagnonals are so spendy frown Vignetting apparently isn't a big issue.

-=[Bob]=-
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bob there is a Baader Amici Prism Diagonal[complete] on Astromart right now, only $290 bpshipping includes Baader Moon and skyglow filter wink The other two on there sold like hotcakes. I wish they sold a 45� or 60� instead of 90�

Last edited by SteveWM; 03/23/11.

Regards,Steve
B
Bald1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well I have had it now for over a week and have added a 2" 90* diagonal to the kit. Bulkier than your traditional spotter and with more power (39X and up) but I'm finding the views crisp and clear especially with the wide FOV 2" eyepieces. I've no doubt this will perform just fine at the range which is what I primarily got it for. The fact that it will double as a compact lightweight "grab 'n go" for night skies is a big plus. Works for me!

[Linked Image]

-=[Bob]=-

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,969
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.