Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Granddad had an big ole John deer tractor that we always hand cranked .... he laughed as some "youngsters"�came up and offered him $600 for it much later when it was "wore out" .....

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I remember those when we lived in England..

for the last 6 months we were there, we had a 53 Humber that had those signals with the little arms that came out between the front and back door..

the old man wrecked our family car 6 months before we were to leave, and his tour was over...

Friend of the family came to visit frequently, who was a tech rep for McDonnell A/C when the base had just gotten the F4 Phantoms... he had a 56 Caddy 4 door... you should have seen the reaction of the neighborhood Limeys when he had that there...

I don't think there was a person in the neighborhood that didn't want a ride in that car.... when the trunk was open and the hood up, their jaws just hit the ground... "gor Blimey" was about all they could say..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bcolorado
61 Renault came with a crank in the emergency kit.

My cousin's first car was a early 70's Renault with a hand crank.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I think I remember a hand crank to go with a 1940 Ford pickup my folks were driving in 1962. But it was not a permanent fixture hanging out the front of the rig.

Tractors are another matter. I was still using a hand crank to start one of these in the late seventies. I think ours was built in 56. [Linked Image]

That picture brings back the memories. Growing up on the farm we had a WD 45 that was only used in the fall for being hooked up to the silo blower, to blow the chopped corn up the silo.

It sat in the back corner of the shed the rest of the year.

Every year just before harvest started, usually late August/Sept., a afternoon chore was to get it started for the first time. Usually it was a bit of a chore as the battery was dead, often the carburetor needed attention.

One year my my Dad had a particulary tough time but got it going and was pretty proud. I was 13 or 14. Getting home from school I decided to take my friend on "a rip".
From the farm we had a woods road that went downhill through a big woods to a fork that went three ways. Coming back towards the farm from any of those three ways it really wasn't the easiest turn to go anyways but up towards the farm.

I went flying down the fork on the right, turned around at the end and came flying back up the in high gear. When I came to the fork I tried to make the the R turn to the road going opposite rather than back up to the farm. This caused the R front tire to hit a depression between the roads, pop up a pretty fair wheely, and the right front tire to end up off the right side of the road which was sloped down,woods, and overgrown with grape vines-still flying along in high gear with my friend sitting and hanging on the fender.

No problem. Just turn out of it and use the brake to pull the front end back on the road. Well, there was a stump covered by the grapevines I couldn't see.
Next thing I know everything was quiet and I'm still on the tractor sideways in the woods with the rear axle hooked on that stump.

My friend somehow managed to hang on the fender and is still there white faced with his mouth hung open. The front end laying on the road behind me along with some pieces. The new battery my Dad put in laying down the road a bit with both posts busted out.
That was not a good walk home or a pleasant conversation.
My Dad was PO'd but kept together pretty well considering.
He actually got it fixed while I was in school the next day as he knew of a parts tractor.
I see that friend once every 4 or 5 years but it always comes up pretty quick.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
Just watched "The Defiant Ones" again.grin
What was the car in the garage started with the hand crank due to a dead battery? Looked like a '30s something Buick. Got me to wonder what were the last years and makes to still have a hand crank feature.
Volkswagen beetles had provision to hand crank into the 1950s. Beyond that time, you could still hand crank them - but you had to create a hole in the engine cover then alter a long-stemmed wrench that would fit the crank shaft nut.

I think I remember that crank starts were possible until VW changed from a magneto to ???

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Naphtali; 04/04/11.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I too had a Renault in the late sixties. It had a hand crank that I used numerous times due to a bad starter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the topic came up, Dad warned me that if I ever tried to crank start an old beast, to make sure I was pulling UP on the handle. That way if it backfired, it would only jerk the handle out of your hand, and not break your arm!

He took apart the family car when he was about 12, and it worked well when he got it reassembled, so I reckon he knew what he was doing!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Borrowed a friends old alum body land rover that had a hand crank and a magneto ignition.

That stupid little thing was fun.

That takes me back! For a job I had in the '80s I drove a '62 Landrover and it had a crank.

I needed the crank too -- the vehicle still had the original "Lucas -- Prince of Darkness" electrical system that the Brits are so famous for.

Say, perhaps I should include some Lucas jokes here:

� The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
� Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
� Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
� Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
� The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
� The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
� If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
� Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.

Thread highjack over...

John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.