Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
VA..

I have wondered the same things about the balance with the HB models.

I have seen various weights given for the guns.

Even the HB models are not very heavy. Also, the Varmint stocks are a slightly different desgin in the rear- a bit larger monte Carlo type stock.

If you want light weight, the sporter model would be hard to beat. With just about any reasonable scope /mount combo- it is going to weight right at 6lbs all up.

Last edited by jim62; 04/01/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
BP-B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Well for the last 11 it has barked at... YEA

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hillbilly, FWIW, one of the local money pits got in a T-bolt synthetic about a week ago, but I didn't pay much attention to it. But, this thread has piqued my interest some, so this afternoon, I happened to swing by for another look. I was really surprised to notice that this T-bolt has a threaded barrel! I don't know for sure, but it may be a Varmint model with a shorter barrel, and threaded for a suppressor. I asked one of the clerks, if that was factory, and he said it was. So, when I got home I looked in the new Browning catalog (more like an old Sears and Roebuck catalog in size grin), and there is no mention of such an animal in the catalog. But who knows. Guess I could ask to look at the box.

They also got in a Ruger 77/22 stainless synthetic .22LR, after I bought both of their walnut/blued models! I've been seriously eyeballing this rifle, but I just don't like how tight the fore-end fits around the barrel, particularly on one side. Yeah, I know, I can remedy this, and I've done it many times with both wood and synthetic stocks, but it just kind of irritates me.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think Browning must have made several special runs of their T Bolt rifles, I also found a unique model at a somewhat local gun shop (1 hour away)I called around the other day to see who might have a T Bolt on the shelf and one place I called has a stainless steel laminated Varmint model, I am 99% sure that I will buy it...... IF it's still there Tuesday, thats My next off day. I know what you mean about the Ruger, I would also like to give one of the new Ruger stainless synthetic threaded barrel jobs a try................Hillbilly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
VA.

Yes they did make those and they were cataloged several years ago. Most of them run $700+.

Even with the Lam and heavy barrel. stock, I bet they don't weigh over 7 lbs. They are nice looking rifles.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Jim, I am looking forward to getting this rifle in My hands, I have seen this model in pics but never in person and I agree, it does look really nice, I think the rifle's advertised weight was somewhere in the mid 5 lbs range, 5lbs 6 ozs maybe, this does seem a little light for a laminated stock rifle though, I will find out for sure in a few more days.................Hillbilly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
I didn't buy the Varmint Model but purchased the Sporter with Synthetic Stock in 22 WMR and it shoots ragged holes at 50 yards with the Hornady 30 gr V-Max. As far as the action it locks up like a Bank Vault

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is the one I want only right handed.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Jim, I am looking forward to getting this rifle in My hands, I have seen this model in pics but never in person and I agree, it does look really nice, I think the rifle's advertised weight was somewhere in the mid 5 lbs range, 5lbs 6 ozs maybe, this does seem a little light for a laminated stock rifle though, I will find out for sure in a few more days.................Hillbilly.

I had though about buying one two years ago, and then they all sort of disappeared. I think they were tough for dealers to move since they ran about $200 more than most of the walnut stocked versions were selling for at the time. I have never seen one listed for lest than $700.

As much as I like the look of the Stainless /grey laminate, since then, the Synthetic version with their sculpted Stock lines and spare magazine trap in the butt etc, have sort of grown on me.

To all gunmaker critics-
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
The rifle I am going to look at is $729.00 plus tax Jim, I think the synthetic digital camo version on gunbroker for $409.00 is by far the best value in a T Bolt right now, My problem is I love stainless steel rifles and not many options in stainless 22lr's out there right now.................Hillbilly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
$729 is a good price for that model since it is-

A) All stainless.
B) Has the pretty Grey Laminate checkered Varmint stock.
C) Is relatively rare.

Last edited by jim62; 04/02/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had mine since 1980 when my grandfather gave it to me. He bought it new in 1966. It's a fantastic gun with lots of good memories. Where are the new ones made? Are they made by Miroku like their other rifles?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DP4
I've had mine since 1980 when my grandfather gave it to me. He bought it new in 1966. It's a fantastic gun with lots of good memories. Where are the new ones made? Are they made by Miroku like their other rifles?

They are made in Japan by Miroku.

the new guns are so different, other than the bolt mechanism functioning the same, they are totally different rifles.

And, except for the polymer trigger guard /housing, everything on the new rifles has been an improvement.

Last edited by jim62; 04/02/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
It sounds like the T Bolt action should be pretty durable then, that was one of My concerns since I don't even know anyone who has ever owned one..................Hillbilly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It sounds like the T Bolt action should be pretty durable then, that was one of My concerns since I don't even know anyone who has ever owned one..................Hillbilly.

Well, the whole durability question can only be answered after enough of them have had long useful service lives...That will take at least 20 more years..

So far, since the new guns came out there have not been many complaints of malfunctions, QC issues or parts breakage. Always a good sign.

To all gunmaker critics-
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I didn't know the T Bolt design had been around so long, Browning has been building T Bolts off and on since 1965, I don't even know if the T Bolt is a Browning design it may have been around since long before that, you may know more about this design Jim.................Hillbilly.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought a lefty version of the high grade T-bolt back in the '70s. It was a nice looking rifle, but unimpressive in the accuracy department, and I never could get used to the bolt motion which felt jerky to me, so I sold it.

The reports here of the accuracy of the new ones make them seem promising.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Did your rifle function well Paul?..............Thanks Hillbilly.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't recall any failures to feed or eject.

Aside from lackluster accuracy, it just didn't grow on me. I was in grad school and recently divorced, so it went down the road, along with another couple of guns.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Paul,

The two Belgian made T-Bolts I have owned in the past also were only fair shooters, so they went down the road as well.

As with yours, they also functioned just fine.

One of those rifles was my first introduction to Browning "salt wood " guns.. blush

To all gunmaker critics-
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I didn't know the T Bolt design had been around so long, Browning has been building T Bolts off and on since 1965, I don't even know if the T Bolt is a Browning design it may have been around since long before that, you may know more about this design Jim.................Hillbilly.

Well, there was about a 30 year gap in Browning building T-Bolts from the late 1970s to the mid 2000s when the new version was indroduced...

Besides, the new rifle is so different to me they are like an A-Bolt vs the "X" bolt centerfires. The bolt mechanism locks up the same but other than that, they are pretty much different rifles.

To all gunmaker critics-
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
185 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 26 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.