Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
NO, it is a puny ineffective cartridge. Just tell me where I can buy the gun so you wont be tempted to hunt with the bug killer.

Seriously, I have a Kimber 84M in .260 I bought brand new when they first showed up years ago. It shoots tiny groups with the 120BT's and 125 Partitions. I would not hesitate to take an animal the size of a goat, sheep, or deer out to those distances.

There is something to be said for a nice light, handy walking rifle! Good luck.

Enough already, just shoot it!
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wonderful trophy deer there SU35...

back on topic, I've taken deer twice in excess of 300 yds with the 260 Ruger 77 Mk2. Both were taken with 100 grain bullets leaving the Muzzle at 3350 fps.

From a good rest and Leupold set on 4 power, both went straight down and recoil was low enough I never lost sight picture thru the scope...

taken them also with 120 Ballistic tips, 140 grain Sierra, Hornadys and Rem Corelokt and several with the 129 SP Hornady.

a nice balanced cartridge!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

wayne van zwoll took an elk with a 6.5 creedmoor (very similar to a 260) at 600+ yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suspect after you buy and see what it is capable of, you will wonder why you have been putting up with the recoil of the magnums for so long...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I suspect after you buy and see what it is capable of, you will wonder why you have been putting up with the recoil of the magnums for so long...
..............I was beginning to worry. No "Magnum" after 375 Ruger. The recoil should be less on me now!.............. laugh

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

Jeffpg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, I'm sold on yet not surprised by the .260's capabilities. It appears to be all I expected it might and maybe a tad more.

Kinda looks to me like it's great SD helps turn almost any bullet design into a decent terminal performer...

That is a nice buck, SU35. Can you tell me where I can get the stock/forearm wrap shown in your pic?

Also, how many rounds do ya figure it took to retire the original Ti's barrel?

thanks for all, fellows

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
how many rounds do ya figure it took to retire the original Ti's barrel?

Over 7 years I put roughly 3,500 rounds down it or about 500 rounds a year.

The stock wrap if I remember correctly is Bear Tooth.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jeff,
If it helps, I still have the 260AI, and the 264 Win Mag but have all but quit using them in favor of the 270WSM for almost everything except things heavier than mule deer. I now use a 300REM version short mag and have used it for everything from antelope to zebra (literally). By switching bullets i can use it effectively for antelope and I have never had to use anything heavier than 168. I hav taken numerous African animals with the 300RSAUM as well as animals here in the states. All with one shot. I still like the 260/264 but the 270 just seems to work slightly better for me.
I am not trying to confuse the issue, just my experience. And I have never shot a 270WSM, either factory or custom that didn't shoot extremely well.
Bill

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by exbiologist
The real question is are you good to 500 yards? The chambering is not likely the limiting factor in this case.

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 260, but have only practiced at 100 yards.

But I have really practiced at 500 yards with 270 and 7mmRemMag and killed 11 deer at long range with them.

I can only be relied on out to 500 yards.

I don't know your situation, but if you are like me, then this guy may be right:
exbiologist
The real question is are you good to 500 yards? The chambering is not likely the limiting factor in this case.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a Model 7 in 260rem and I've used the 129gr Hornady SP in it since I bought it. I get 2650-2700fps out of the 18.5" barrel and have killed more than one deer at nearly 250yds.

If you use the SST version of that bullet with its .485 BC, and get 2900-3000fps you will have a serious long range killer that won't break the bank.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Jeffpg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Bill Davis. You seem to think a bit more like me.

I am very comfortable with my bigger guns, but have had little experience shooting big game with the smaller stuff. It's not my shooting ability that I am questioning perfect strangers about, (as if that could help) but the capability of the particular cartridge vs those larger ones I have mentioned that I am familiar with. And, I was only asking about it's effectiveness out to 500 yards...

Some of these guys can't seem to get their mind wrapped around the simple fact that for some of us, 500 yards really isn't LONG range shooting... I mean heck, with a 700 yard range IN MY BACK YARD, and twice that 5 minutes away when needed, my 500 has become their 200, most likely. I zero my hunting rifles at 300 right off my deck with a covered bench for shootin' my steel in ANY weather, I can even leave my chrony set up and protected from the weather for the several weeks at a time that I'm home. When you can shoot every day, all you wish, for weeks at a time, out to 700 yards, you can develop some pretty decent skills and habits fellows. I am certainly no braggart concerning my shooting, hunting, or anything else I do, but dang guys, I am asking about the "effective killing range of a 260". Please don't take offense guys but the "real question" that I am asking here has nothing whatsoever to do with mine OR your shooting abilities.. it's about the caliber. If you don't know anything about it, just say so, or maybe say nothing even.

I taught my son to shoot at a young age. When he was 14 years old, he shot competetively in the 14 to 18 yr old age group of the 4H Shooting Sports program and made the State Finals, where he placed 12th in the State among a very impressive group of young shooters. Having taken his first big 9 point buck at the age of 8, he was feeling little pressure in the shoot, although he felt he should have done better. He said, "shoot Daddy, this is what we do!" He and his little sister both competed in Archery, Rifle and Shotgun Skeet, and she also did quite well in all 3 categories. When my daughter went out with me for her first ever deer hunt, I was the only nervous one in the blind, doing too much coaching. She promptly said "I got this, Daddy" and proceeded to nail the big doe with a perfect shot at 100 yards with her little .243. She was 10 yrs old.

I often have ladies and kids (both boys and girls, and girls often do the best) over to my place that have never shot much if any at all. In just minutes I can normally have them hittin' the 6 inch steel at 250 and 300 with my varmint rifles, coke cans at 200 with the rimfires, and ringing the 25 yard steel with 40 cal. Glocks and even my custom 10mm.

I guess with country boys and girls, shooting accurately isn't that much of a big deal... I know I grew up with plenty of guns and ammo at hand, and woods & fields galore right out the front AND back door to roam around in. We had a small tin roofed feeder for the cows about 600 yards from our front pasture gate that I won a many a bet on when my new friends didn't believe I could hit the roof with my dad's old Browning 22 rifle that my brothers and I could shoot empty shotgun hulls out of the air with. Daddy made sure we always had a good squirrel dog. Squirrels, rabbits and birds honed our skills with .22 rifles and graduating to deer and larger game came easy.

Anyway, with all the 7mm thru 30 caliber rifles that I already have, I don't really feel the need for the .260. I don't mind recoil, and I like the extra power found in the larger guns. I did just buy my girlfriend a 7mm-08 Rem in a LVSF that should do her fine as she drives tacks way on out with my LVSF's in .223 & 22.250. My interest in the caliber was peaked somewhat by finding an accurized 1st gen Rem Ti in 260 but with 3 of them in .308, 30.06 and 270 Win, and a Browning Mountain Ti in 300WSM, I think I'm covered in the mountain rifle department.

Of course, if he would get right with his price...

Thanks,
Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.