Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CLB
Delrin spacers for the win 70 long action. I just bought one 2 weeks ago. if you use the spacer, it works with the factory 2 piece metal.

What is the finish on a Delrin spacer? Can it be used with a SS rifle? (I have a 1998 SS/Syn M70.)

Murphy was a grunt.
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rusty75
I have a winchester 70 classic stainless .270 and am looking to replace the factory plastic with a higher quality synthetic stock. I came across stocky's website and they have the B&C Medalist available for a little over $200. Is this a decent stock? My classic has 2 piece bottom metal and the website says i will need to swap to one piece to make it work. What is the least expensive way to swap to one piece bottom metal?

Inletting is pretty straight forward with the Classic into the new EW stock. I used a 1-pc bottom unit, but spacing out a 2-pc bottom unit is simple. You can fabricate a simple spacer from a washer, or you can purchase the aftermarket spacer as noted earlier. The rifle in the pics below is a 416Rem with a 375H&H contour using a forward barrel lug. If that thing can be made to fit, you'd have zero issue with a Classic .270Win.

Good Luck smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[/quote]

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got two, one for a M700, and one for a Savage 110E. I really like them both. Just like a slimmer HS, but with checkering, and a better recoil pad. People praise Mcmillan, but they are more than twice the cost, and take 6 months to get. Not to mention, the two mcmillans I owned were not inletted right, and the finish looked like crap.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gary, that 375 in the olive drab B&C stock looks terrific.

Murphy was a grunt.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I've got two, one for a M700, and one for a Savage 110E. I really like them both. Just like a slimmer HS, but with checkering, and a better recoil pad. People praise Mcmillan, but they are more than twice the cost, and take 6 months to get. Not to mention, the two mcmillans I owned were not inletted right, and the finish looked like crap.

I initially had some bad experiences with B&C. Some of the newer stocks are better, but I still don't see any advantage to buying a B&C over most factory stocks. If I want a sythetic the primary reason is to cut weight. A McMillan edge my cost 2X as much, but it will be a full pound or more lighter than a Medalist. Saving $300 is not a bargain if it offers no advantages over what I already have. I wouldn't buy a standard weight McMillan for the same reason. If needed a replacement stock and weight were not a factor I'd just buy a $100 Boyds laminated stock.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a McMillan graphite stock on an Ed Brown Damara and a B&C Medalist on a Mark V. The McMillan is better with a stiffer fore end. The B&C fore end flexes a lot more. I free floated and glass bedded the B&C and torqued the screws, 55 inch pounds on the front, 35 on the back. The Medalist requires a much bigger free floating gap than the McMillan due to the flex factor. For the price ($207) from Stocky's vs. $500 or so for the McMillan, I think the Medalist has it's place. I don't know if the McMillan is 2 1/2 times better, although it is better. Both guns will shoot 1/2" or better with the right loads.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I initially had some bad experiences with B&C. Some of the newer stocks are better, but I still don't see any advantage to buying a B&C over most factory stocks. If I want a sythetic the primary reason is to cut weight. A McMillan edge my cost 2X as much, but it will be a full pound or more lighter than a Medalist. Saving $300 is not a bargain if it offers no advantages over what I already have. I wouldn't buy a standard weight McMillan for the same reason. If needed a replacement stock and weight were not a factor I'd just buy a $100 Boyds laminated stock.

I do not believe your experience is relevant to the 3rd Generation B&C Extreme Weather stock made for SC-Winchester which can be purchased through Stocky's. This later stock uses a full length 7075-T6 bedding chassis that runs from the wrist all the way to the forend tip. This chassis is extremely stiff so the forend is therefore extremely stiff. The experience you describe is with a different B&C stock unrelated to this SC-Winchester stock. As to weight, I just inletted one from Stocky's for my M70 416Rem which has a 375H&H barrel contour. The stock ended up 28-ounces. I do not see how it is physically possible for an Edge to go a pound lighter. The best I can see would be for the Edge to run in the 22-24 ounce range saving maybe an additional 4-6 ounces. But, it would be impossible for my application as an Edge would not be strong enough to hold up to the recoil of my 416Rem. But, the full length chassis of the SC Winchester EW stock is strong enough to hold up to the recoil.

Your Dad's Medalist is a heavy stock that may be lacking, but it is not the same stock as this newer 3rd Generation EW made for SC Winchester.

Best smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/18/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Rusty75,

I purchased a Mod 70 FN/SC EW in .300WSM. I have one word that sums up my feelings about the B&C stock that is on the rifle, FAT. I knew that I did not like the stock when I bought the rifle. Granted, the newer B&C stocks on Win's are much lighter than all other B&C stocks. If I were 6'+ with hands like Shaq it would probably be just fine(however i do like checkering).

At present I am waiting for a McMillan Edge I purchased to go on a Sako 75. As soon as that stock comes in I will put my order in for a McMillan Model 70 Super Grade with Edge Technology to go on the EW. The B&C stock will be for sale. As I get older I realize just how short life is. So if you can afford it, and want it, buy it.

G2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I replaced a buddys Remington 700 factory stock with a B&C Medalist. He is really pleased with the stock. Shoots factory ammo and cut his 100yd groups from 1in at 100yds down to about .5in. I have not owned one personally, but it looks to be a good replacement for the money.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
GaryVA

I took a stock off a short action Winchester EW that weighed 30 oz. The short actions are the same overall length as long actions, but weigh more because there is less material cut out for the action.

The Edge I replaced it with weighs 22oz, for a half pound reduction. As well as a trimmer, better balanced stock. All that metal in the stock forces them to be clunky and thick.

The Winchester stock is the LIGHTEST Medalist stock B&C makes. The other Medalist stocks made by Stockys are advertised at 36 oz. An Edge would not quite be a full pound lighter, but 14 oz is significant. All of the factory synthetics I've weighed were between 30-32oz. They may look ugly, but seem to function fine. No one buys a synthetic to look good anyway. It is all about function and the factory synthetics seem to function just fine. I'm not saying B&C stocks are junk. They work just fine, but I can't see paying $200 for a stock that offers me no advantages over the stock I already have. An Edge is $500, but I gain something for my money. I've made the mistake by buying B&C in the past and won't make that mistake again.

If I were putting together a rifle where weight was of no concern, maybe. But even then why spend $200 for a heavy synthetic, when $100 buys you a heavy laminated wood stock.

The only truly lightweight B&C makes is the Ti at 24oz. I also have one of those on a stainless Remington Mt. Rifle. Because it has no aluminum block they are trim and well balanced. I do have concerns about the strength without the metal. The only synthetic stocks I've ever seen anyone manage to break were the B&C Ti stocks.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A factory deluxe wood Safari stock completely finished with premium pad, two crossbolts, inletted swivel mount, and bedding weighs in at 45oz.

A Classic Stainless Synthetic stock, with Decelerator pad, bedding for both recoil and barrel lugs, and a durable textured exterior coating, will run 36oz.

The Winchester B&C EW stock I used above with Decelerator pad and inletting for the barrel lug runs 28oz. This stock saved me more than a pound over a wood stock and � a pound over using a factory synthetic. The rifle ended up at 7 � pounds with QR mounts less scope and it shoots lights out accurate. A standard fill McMillan would be heavier and an Edge would be impossible as it is too egg shell fragile and would break under the recoil of a 416Rem. As I said earlier, you are talking oranges while I was talking apples.

Best smile

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CLB
You will have to buy a one piece bottom metal set up or call Brad at Hunters outlet (218-681-3030) As I know they have the Delrin spacers for the win 70 long action. I just bought one 2 weeks ago. if you use the spacer, it works with the factory 2 piece metal. Then you can save you coins like me and get a good one piece when you are ready.

I really like those B&C stocks and with a little bedding job, you will be good to go.

CLB

Just found this thread after I posted a question in the Wildcat forum https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...C_Medalist_stock_Win_M70_que#Post5146092

I used the Delrin plastic spacer and I can't get the floorplate release to work. Anyone else have this problem?

Murphy was a grunt.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had to use a dremel tool and make a slight adjustment to the stock itself. You can also shape the spacer a bit if you need to. Delrin is pretty tough material.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
i have had 2 mcmillans and 2 B&C's. for me the mcmillan wasn't superior enough to warrant twice the money on a hunting rifle. i am worried about being able to drop in without modification.

I have to agree 100%.

Tom

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by fremont
Originally Posted by CLB
You will have to buy a one piece bottom metal set up or call Brad at Hunters outlet (218-681-3030) As I know they have the Delrin spacers for the win 70 long action. I just bought one 2 weeks ago. if you use the spacer, it works with the factory 2 piece metal. Then you can save you coins like me and get a good one piece when you are ready.

I really like those B&C stocks and with a little bedding job, you will be good to go.

CLB

Just found this thread after I posted a question in the Wildcat forum https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...C_Medalist_stock_Win_M70_que#Post5146092

I used the Delrin plastic spacer and I can't get the floorplate release to work. Anyone else have this problem?

I found a used McMillan made for the new FN produced winchesters and put it on a Winchester Classic. Instead of the derlin spacer I used 2 flat washers between the floorplate and stock. The floorplate fits flush and works fine. There is a tiny gap between the front sides of the triggerguard and the floorplate where the bottom metal is slightly different, but it is cosmetic and barely noticeable. Everything functions fine. Don't see why this would not work on a B&C stock as well

Found this on stockys web site http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-template/winchester_70_bell_carlson_7775_7776/Page

Last edited by JMR40; 04/14/11. Reason: corrected typo

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a winchester 70 classic stainless .270 and am looking to replace the factory plastic with a higher quality synthetic stock. I came across stocky's website and they have the B&C Medalist available for a little over $200. Is this a decent stock? My classic has 2 piece bottom metal and the website says i will need to swap to one piece to make it work. What is the least expensive way to swap to one piece bottom metal?

Do yourself a favor- skip the B & C stock entirely, go directly to McMillan. I have gone thru similar gyrations with a B & C Medalist stock for a Wby. Mk. V.- lots of bottom metal and magazine box issues, ended up junking it and going with a McMillan, which I should have done in the first place. Glass bed the action, and now you have something of quality.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
84 members (308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.