Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
SST=AMAX=NBT=SGK

They are all bombs. If you know it in advance, you can put the crosshairs in places where an explosion is a good thing.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep..they tend to blow up....

Agree 100%. We have killed 3 deer with that bullet and lost a great deal of meat from each deer.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah Calvin, the second deresonator did make a difference, helping an already "good" group shrink into a "great" one. I have experienced this on more than a couple of my rifles that were already accurate with standard loads, but didn't shoot Hornady's Heavy and Light Mag loads quite as tight. With the extra couple hundred fps of velocity came a slightly more open group, which the second deresonator rectified. I might could've achieved the same result by sliding the deresonator towards the muzzle, but I like to keep 'em close to the forearm. I always try loads without a deresonator, but if I'm not satisfied with how it shoots, I don't hesitate to try the donut on 'em.

The Superformance ammo is supposed to be more accurate with it's decreased chamber pressures, and althought I have shot some in 22.250 using no dereson with great results I haven't fully tested the larger calibers but soon will.

[Linked Image]

This big bodied muley fell to the 165 SST from my old 30.06 in the background that is also wearing double deresonators. The shot was quartering away at 280 yards and the bullet did it job as it always does.

I can't count the number of one shot kills that the Hornady SST has delivered for me through out the years...

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, I agree with barrel donuts....they come in handy when you get hungry!

[Linked Image]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's awesome... but this is more healthy!

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Very destructive, keep em in the ribs.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is the link to my season last year using 139 grain SST's in my 7mm-08.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...250/My_Deer_2010_Deer_Season#Post4864250

I bounce back and forth between the 139 grain SST and the 140 grain Corelokt in my gun. I've been very pleased with it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's a heck of a muley buck there Jeffpg....details? IMO the deresonator is a gimmick, but that' s my opinion. I've been shooting Hornady heavy mag 139 gr SST's and IB's for years now @ 3200+ fps out of a stock Tikka Whitetail. It prints them -1" all day long if I do my part.

I'm digging your system, sactoller.

Last edited by JGRaider; 04/14/11.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks JGRaider, but the deresonator is positively NOT a gimmick. At least not according to Webster's definition. Do you say this because you have tested them with negative results? On what basis did you form your opinion?

I will admit to having way too many rifles to play with, and yes I do spend a lot of money on ammo, trying a lot of different stuff in a lot of different rifles and calibers. But I am single, and can't starve anyone but myself, lol. Having a shooting range out my back door, with a covered bench where I can shoot my steel in any weather, I spend a lot of time in shooting in the weeks I have off from my offshore job. Sure, a lot of rifle/load combinations shoot fine without deresonators, but even these can often be improved with one or even two of them installed on the barrel.

It's usually the hotter loads that require a little help to get the tight groups, and some of my rifles handle almost any loads without the use of a deresonator, but not all do. I absolutely LOVE the ones that do, and the donut helps me to LIKE the ones that don't.

It is NOT rocket science... no more than ballistics is. It is simply physics. By modifying the harmonics of the barrel, you can effect accuracy by helping to create a consistency to the barrel's harmonics so that the bullet leaves the muzzle under a more controlled and repeatable pattern of vibes each time. The Browning Boss system did the same thing in a different way. The electrical tape that I see on some barrels obviously do the same, although I would expect to a lesser degree. I haven't tried the tape, but I'd be interested to know some of the results obtained by this.

For more info on the mule deer, here's a link to my story on the hunt...

http://www.muledeeraddiction.com/index.html?pg=articles

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jeffpg, gimmick is a poor choice of words so please take no offense. That Tikka/Hornady setup I told you about shoots so well I just don't feel the need, that's all. It may very well work in some cases. Thanks for the link......great stuff. I'm a muley addict and already have that issue and read it. I just didn't put it together. Congrats again on a real stud.

Last edited by JGRaider; 04/14/11.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
According to hornady, the sst's are designed for rapid expansion and 50% weight retention, the interlock is 70% weight retention, and the interbond 90%.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mod7rem
According to hornady

Where abouts can I find this?

Murphy was a grunt.
S
S
The big doe i shot last year went about 50 yards before dying. Unfortuneatley it was 50 yards into the brush. I found herafter about 20 minutes of searching. The bullet blew the bottom part of her heart off and she still went that fa. I think it depends on the animal and how much adrenaline they got going on? I have tried them in a couple 7mm08 rifles a weatherby that really didn't shoot anything good so i sold it, and the savage axis i still own. I haven't been able to get much under 1" - 1 1/4" groups with them, and the the lead tip sp 139 grain hornady give about the same results. Thinking of trying a different bullet weight, but not sure whether to go lighter or heavier?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Several years ago I shot some out of a Ruger No. 1 in 7mm Rem. Mag. over book max loads. Don't remember the exact velocity but it was up there. They exploded (fragmented) on WT deer. Never got an exit. Never found anything but pieces. Only took three does with that load before changing. So it's a sample of three. As I understand it they work well when slowed down. So could reasonably be expected to perform well at 7mm-08 velocities.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 37 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.