Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've killed exactly 60 antelope...only 14 have been over 200 yards with the longest one at 403. Of those 14, most were between 200-300.

The closest I've shot one is 32 yards, with a vast majority between 100-200.

Its not tough at all to get close to antelope if you're patient.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oregonmuley,

I will back up what Ingwe said, especially about them winding you.

Though I once ran into a guide in Colorado who claimed that antelope don't use their noses. He also claimed that he had guided people to over 200 pronghorns--right after he blew a stalk because he ignored the wind. Scent is not their primary defense, but they do have noses.

One thing I have noticed is that if hunting pressure isn't REALLY severe a spooked herd will often circle and end up back where it started, or within a few hundred yards.

Like rattler and his wife , my wife and I have used what we call the "bovine simulation technique" and found it worked well, especially to cross open areas not too close to a herd. How well it worked depends on the time of the season--and how much you and your partner can act like a cow.

One of the biggest mistakes many pronghorn hunters make is to try to follow a herd in a direct line. They'll be looking back right toward where they crossed, so if ANYTHING pops over the ridge in that direction, they get nervous, even if it's just your head. Instead, crawl over the ridge at least 100 yards to one side of where they crossed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Range depends on how fast your pick-up is...at least that's what the natives tell me. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i will always look upon speed goat hunting as fun.....ive done alot of elk and to some extent mule deer hunting that was absolutly masochistic as hell and wound up with nothing to show from it but memories........speed goats are usually easy to find, very easy to pack out even compared to a good sized mule deer doe, and if yah [bleep] up a stalk rarely have to spend a couple days trying to find another buck like i often do with mule deer, find another flat and you will often find another herd....goat hunting is just plain fun for the wife and i and enjoy every minute of it...

Last edited by rattler; 04/18/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rumor has it that there's been more than one lope reduced to possession via the F150 Sneak... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think it's probably a Wyoming deal. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That and a 220 Swift...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's another one. Antelope can be patterned. If you see them take off in one direction towards a particular location today, chances are very good that the next day they will do the same.

I hunted with two good friends who were in their mid eighties and could not cover much, if any, territory. I put them a couple of small hills away from where we had spooked antelope the previous day and then slowly revealed myself to the herd. They went in exactly the same area they had run to the day before. Both guys got antelope from that herd.

They really are pretty predictable.

Steve

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Cheater. smile

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've hunted speed goats in Colorado and Wyoming for thirty years and I've killed three or four dozen of them. I've been going over distances in my mind and I can't remember one that was shot at further than 200 yards. They aren't a very big target and I guess I just gotta get close or I'm not confident that I will make a clean kill.

I use a 30-06 with Sierra GameKing 150 grain BTSP. You don't really need a bullet that heavy but my rifle really likes that bullet and a simple cup-and-core bullet is just fine for a thin skinned animal like a pronghorn.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Few things not to do...
Dont let them wind you..
Dont skyline yourself..
Dont chase after them, drop 200-300 yards downwind and wait, theyll often make about a 90 minute circle...
Don't let them see you...I know..it sounds stoopid..but pretend they are gonna shoot back, and you'll be golden wink

DO...carry a small cow elk call...you can call unspooked ones with it, and you can stop spooked ones on occasion...

That is good info and I guess one thing I have not worried enough about is being winded. Maybe I need to pay more attention to that. Just didn't seem to worry about it as much as I do with deer/elk!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Oregonmuley,

I will back up what Ingwe said, especially about them winding you.

Though I once ran into a guide in Colorado who claimed that antelope don't use their noses. He also claimed that he had guided people to over 200 pronghorns--right after he blew a stalk because he ignored the wind. Scent is not their primary defense, but they do have noses.

Like rattler and his wife , my wife and I have used what we call the "bovine simulation technique" and found it worked well, especially to cross open areas not too close to a herd. How well it worked depends on the time of the season--and how much you and your partner can act like a cow.

One of the biggest mistakes many pronghorn hunters make is to try to follow a herd in a direct line. They'll be looking back right toward where they crossed, so if ANYTHING pops over the ridge in that direction, they get nervous, even if it's just your head. Instead, crawl over the ridge at least 100 yards to one side of where they crossed.

Good stuff - I need to remember that and be a little more patient. Chased a nice buck for most of a day and again the next morning last season, tried to go after them and ended up just moving the herd he was in out into some real broken country. Maybe they would of been back??

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 04/18/11.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We took 5 lopes this fall, wife took her two right @ 300 yds with her 6/06 down and out they went.

My bud used my 22/250 to take his doe @ just under 300, one shot down and out. And I used my 22/250 to take my doe at about 150 yds, one shot down and out.

And we've had great eats every since..grin

Dober

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oregonmuley,

Antelope will move out of the country if constantly pressured, but they do have home territories and tend to stay there if they have a choice.

My wife and I used to hunt a certain area in eastern Montana for years, until the ATV's took it over. After a couple of years we knew exactly where the local herds would go once spooked after opening day. They didn't go far, just to places that couldn't be seen from the road. If we made a big circle and came up on those areas from a different direction, we'd usually find them again, often bedded down.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We zero at 200, practice to 300, and rarely shoot one as far as 200.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Shot distance depends on how patient you are, how much they've been pressured, and on how flat or rolling the country you're hunting is. The more cuts and draws, the easier it is to sneak closer to the animal. Flatter country usually means longer shots on average. But even in fairly flat country, you can usually get reasonably close (200 yards or less). I've killed the vast majority of mine under 200 yards. That said, last year's was 260 and I've killed few quite a bit further than that.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TC280
Great info everybody,i think i will go ahead and use my 6.8 spc. 300 yds would be max, with 250 yds being allowing a little wiggle room.thanks again

3" high at 100 yds and you're good to go out to 350yds or so. Keep it simple. I've been hunting big game like this with a 7mag for 30+ years. Just my .02

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.