Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am planning to build a dangerous game rifle this year. I want to buy a .416 ruger... a newer one with barrel band. And am pondering scope/sight options. I was originally thinking about putting a good quality red dot on there but now I realized I want some magnification. One scope that caught my eye is the trijicon accupoints, they are battery free.

The one I like is the Tr-21 which is 1.25x -4x. The thing I am wondering is the eye relief is 3.2 - 4.8" just wondering if this would be enough on a .416 ruger

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At least the TR21 offers some flexibility with eye relief. The TR24, which is the 30mm tube, 1x-14x is advertised as 3.2" - period.

My concern with the TR21 is whether there will be enough for and aft movement on the long action Ruger to be able to get it positioned properly.

FWIW, I've been consider a Trijicon, but can't make up my mind on the reticle - red triangle, green triangle or green door & crosshair. I haven't been too impressed with the brightness of the green dot & crosshair that is on the shelf at a local retailer. Unfortunately they do not have any models with different reticles to do a side by side comparison. I'm looking to put one on a M70 375 H&H or a .416 Ruger built on a M700 or M70 std L/A.

Last edited by WiFowler; 04/17/11.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Trijicon is one of the best scopes i have owned and should make a great companion to your Ruger

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by WiFowler
At least the TR21 offers some flexibility with eye relief. The TR24, which is the 20mm tube, 1x-14x is advertised as 3.2" - period.

My concern with the TR21 is whether there will be enough for and aft movement on the long action Ruger to be able to get it positioned properly.

FWIW, I've been consider a Trijicon, but can't make up my mind on the reticle - red triangle, green triangle or green door & crosshair. I haven't been too impressed with the brightness of the green dot & crosshair that is on the shelf at a local retailer. Unfortunately they do not have any models with different reticles to do a side by side comparison. I'm looking to put one on a M70 375 H&H or a .416 Ruger built on a M700 or M70 std L/A.

yea thats why i'm leaning toward the tr 21. Good points. I'm looking into other brands with battery illuminated reticles. Another thing with any fiberoptic/tritium reticle is they can be washed out therefore LED is better in those cases

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bea175
The Trijicon is one of the best scopes i have owned and should make a great companion to your Ruger

Thanks bea

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Polska
Originally Posted by WiFowler
At least the TR21 offers some flexibility with eye relief. The TR24, which is the 20mm tube, 1x-14x is advertised as 3.2" - period.

yea thats why i'm leaning toward the tr 21. Good points. I'm looking into other brands with battery illuminated reticles. Another thing with any fiberoptic/tritium reticle is they can be washed out therefore LED is better in those cases

Not a fan of artifically lighted reticles, but if I HAD to go that way, I'd go with a Swaro - Leupy VX-R as a last resort.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Polska - IF you can buy a .416 Ruger, presumably a Ruger "African" not an "Alaskan" or Number 1, then in the words of Rudyard Kipling "you're a better man than I..." as I finally gave up bugging Mike Fifer and waiting on Ruger to produce one. Building one is just too expensive for me. Regards, Homesteader.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
WiFowler,

I'm wondering how much you actually know about Trijicon AccuPoints, since your entire experience experience seems to be looking at them in a sporting goods store.

First, the reticle isn't "artificially" lighted. It's a combination of tritium a fiber-optic that's enhanced by sunlight, not a battery. Second, the amount of glow is controlled by a sliding window on the scope.

I have used various Trijicon AccuPoints in the field for considerable hunting on rifles up to .416 Rigby, and they work great. The 1.25-4x is one of my favorite hunting scopes for larger-core rifles, one reason I've used it not just around home but in Alaska and Africa.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both of the Trijicon mentioned above.

The 1.25-4 is quite short for the longer actions. This scope has the post with red triangle reticle and is OK but we have a lot of red leaves here in the fall.

The 1-4 30mm is mounted on a Talkeetna 375. The eye relief is good and not as fixed as the ad may make one think. I chose the green triangle post reticle as we also have a lot of bright yellow willow leaves here. The green would be my choice for most use.

Last fall, our moose season was quite warm and bulls wouldn't move in the warmer part of the day. I had watched and called a big bull for five hours but couldn't coax him in.....as the sun set on the other side of the mountain, the bull responded to my call and came up the hill to challenge me......the Trijicon reticle showed up like a "white bean in a black cat's butt" on that black moose shoulder.....I probably could have done the same with most of my lower power scopes but this Trijicon would have allowed me a precsie shot behind the ear or some such.

BTW, I prefer post reticles for low power scopes and big game so the Trijicon post was a natural for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WiFowler,

I'm wondering how much you actually know about Trijicon AccuPoints, since your entire experience experience seems to be looking at them in a sporting goods store.

First, the reticle isn't "artificially" lighted. It's a combination of tritium a fiber-optic that's enhanced by sunlight, not a battery. Second, the amount of glow is controlled by a sliding window on the scope.

John,

Thanks for the concern over my knowledge of the Trijicon Accupoint scopes. Can I take that to mean that you will be forwarding one to me so that I can evaluate it on one of my 'scope deprived' rifles? grin

FWIW, my reference to 'artificially' lighted reticles was in fact to those that use a battery - Leupold VX-R, Swaro Z6i, etc. I'm entirely aware that the Trijicon Accupoint is in fact a dual-illuminated reticles, using both tritium and natural light enhance fiber-optics.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK
I have both of the Trijicon mentioned above.

The 1.25-4 is quite short for the longer actions. This scope has the post with red triangle reticle and is OK but we have a lot of red leaves here in the fall.

The 1-4 30mm is mounted on a Talkeetna 375. The eye relief is good and not as fixed as the ad may make one think. I chose the green triangle post reticle as we also have a lot of bright yellow willow leaves here. The green would be my choice for most use.

Last fall, our moose season was quite warm and bulls wouldn't move in the warmer part of the day. I had watched and called a big bull for five hours but couldn't coax him in.....as the sun set on the other side of the mountain, the bull responded to my call and came up the hill to challenge me......the Trijicon reticle showed up like a "white bean in a black cat's butt" on that black moose shoulder.....I probably could have done the same with most of my lower power scopes but this Trijicon would have allowed me a precsie shot behind the ear or some such.

BTW, I prefer post reticles for low power scopes and big game so the Trijicon post was a natural for me.

Great input.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Those triangles really do allow precise shot placement. I didn't think so but I was pleasantly surprised. I have an amber one. Excellent optics to say the least. A friend can read the print on targets at 100yds with his 4x Trigicon. Very crisp image.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Polska - IF you can buy a .416 Ruger, presumably a Ruger "African" not an "Alaskan" or Number 1, then in the words of Rudyard Kipling "you're a better man than I..." as I finally gave up bugging Mike Fifer and waiting on Ruger to produce one. Building one is just too expensive for me. Regards, Homesteader.

Thanks. I hear ya, I like the alaskan cause of the synthetic/stainless.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by drducati
Those triangles really do allow precise shot placement. I didn't think so but I was pleasantly surprised. I have an amber one. Excellent optics to say the least. A friend can read the print on targets at 100yds with his 4x Trigicon. Very crisp image.

Thanks. Triangle with post is basically like a red dot

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WiFowler,

I have used various Trijicon AccuPoints in the field for considerable hunting on rifles up to .416 Rigby, and they work great. The 1.25-4x is one of my favorite hunting scopes for larger-core rifles, one reason I've used it not just around home but in Alaska and Africa.

Right now it's my first choice.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
How is it at nigh or in total darkness?? From what i've read it's good for "low light" does that mean it's only designed for dawn/dusk type light, and is useless at night?? I want something I can use at night too if i'm gonna pay $800

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Usually....with most scopes I've used,.....as light diminishes, you will lose the reticle first before you lose the animal....of course background or moonlight may have an effect here.

So seeing the animal is useless without a visible reticle.

The triangle is mush more precise than most red dots, at least for me!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you take the scope in an absolutely dark room, you can still see the tritium dot.

If you've ever seen a Luminox watch, it's the same thing.

I'm certain the triangle would be even mo' better. (I have the crosshair/dot)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
With Trijicon scopes the lower the light the better you can see the dot or triangle . If i had the cash i would replace every scope i have with the Trijicon. I have so many scopes i would have to mortgage my home to do this. My favorite reticle in the Trijicon is the Amber Mil Dot

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
great thread fellas, been curious too about the clarity and low light contrast of the Trijicon hunting scopes. I've a 26" barreled 9.3x64 and don't know spit about the TR22 and think that this scope would be good on this rifle of mine here in Alaska. I've used the low power'd Lpy's an suspect all I would need is the 1-4 Trijicon but is there any advantages to going with the larger model of Trijicon since we're on this subject of accupoints. Read that the larger objectives give way to damage or inaccuracies via impacts easier than smaller obj.....

I could be easily swayed from buying the Zeiss Diavari this summer if clarity and all is persuasive enough.

bea175....you're comment is encouraging!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,591
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.