Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I use my body to make a living and support my family. Last weekend after planting trees for 3 days straight, I rolled my ankle and it broke. It's petty sore and after a followup appointment with an orthapeidic surgeon, I do not need surgery. They gave me a walking boot style cast and gave me the go ahead to walk on it as the swelling and pain subside. They said I should have a 100% recovery in 8 or so weeks.
I am just curious for those out there that have broken their ankles, did you really have a full recovery and have no ill effects down the road. I have had 7 shoulder dislocations and 1 shoulder surgery and my shoulders are about 70% and 80% but still good enough to shoot a bow and work. I have a hard time believing my ankle will function 100% walking up and down roofs and mountains. I broke the fibula from about 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock. Ligament between the fibula and tibia does not appear to be damaged at this time. They will re-check that in two weeks.
Comments?

Salmonhead
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Obviously no doctor here, but my best advice would be to let it heal, as long and "gently" as possile, before you go climbing roofs and such.

Give it a good chance to make a solid mend before you start stressing it again, and I'd have to think you'd have a much better chance at a full, and long lasting, recovery.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Every break is different, as is every person. I've broken my ankle(s) several times, and other than a rather large calcium deposit on the left outer, I haven't really experienced any mobility problems through life. I think the ankle is much more resilient in mending than the knee.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
thanks

Salmonhead
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I broke my ankle couple of years now.. 8 weeks is about right.. Just remember being in pain at night trying to sleep... Try to stay off it as much as possible, I didnt the first couple of weeks and extended the healing process even longer......

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
broke mine 23 yrs ago.the weather bothers it and makes it sore as heck still.I was in hospital bed for 8 months before i walked on mine again.

I would take your time to get it to mend and i hope it goes well for you

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes

Full recovery

kind of.

I can roll my right ankle now when I'm mowing the lawn, or waking on a flat sidewalk but stepping on a pebble! It's pretty easy to sprain now.

So, I have a nice ankle brace I put on if I'm gonna be playing tennis or soft ball. But for the most part, if I roll it again, it's sore for a day but doesn't keep me from doing anything.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ve broken one twice,theother once.both rollover quite easily but the right shoes help alot.
I wear nike air,or boots.the nikes are wider than my foot at the sole,and greatly help stabilize the ankle from rolling over

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I broke my ankle twice, both times parachuting in 1966. I landed hard and broke the right ankle and spent 8 weeks in a cast. One week before the cast was to be cut off; I broke it again at the same drop zone on another jump. The doctor (same one) could not believe it and cut it off and put on another one, with great admonishment.

The ankle healed fine and all has been well since. I�ve made over 500 jumps (last one in 1968) and these are the only injuries I sustained.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by salmonhead
I use my body to make a living and support my family. Last weekend after planting trees for 3 days straight, I rolled my ankle and it broke. It's petty sore and after a followup appointment with an orthapeidic surgeon, I do not need surgery. They gave me a walking boot style cast and gave me the go ahead to walk on it as the swelling and pain subside. They said I should have a 100% recovery in 8 or so weeks.
I am just curious for those out there that have broken their ankles, did you really have a full recovery and have no ill effects down the road. I have had 7 shoulder dislocations and 1 shoulder surgery and my shoulders are about 70% and 80% but still good enough to shoot a bow and work. I have a hard time believing my ankle will function 100% walking up and down roofs and mountains. I broke the fibula from about 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock. Ligament between the fibula and tibia does not appear to be damaged at this time. They will re-check that in two weeks.
Comments?

I don't know your age, I broke my ankle in three places slipping on spilt beer of all things on my buddies garage floor. I was layed up for a few month with the cast but I have full use of it. I play beach volleyball in the summer and all kinds of hiking and hunting and no problems. I even rolled it going down the stairs last week, and thought I broke it again but was fine. Drink lots of milk though and get a pair of boots with good support for the first 6 months or longer helps a lot with the healing.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Originally Posted by salmonhead
Comments?

I don't know your age, I broke my ankle in three places slipping on spilt beer of all things on my buddies garage floor. I was layed up for a few month with the cast but I have full use of it. I play beach volleyball in the summer and all kinds of hiking and hunting and no problems. I even rolled it going down the stairs last week, and thought I broke it again but was fine. Drink lots of milk though and get a pair of boots with good support for the first 6 months or longer helps a lot with the healing.

I was 28 btw when I did it, 30 now. By the way if you end up with a walking cast and find yourself where you need to get it wet for example I broke mine during deer season, I large overboot like you get to go over your shoes works wonders, Seeing the walking casts suck

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
it will never heal 100% - forget the walking for a while - i rolled my ankle - it did a 90* turn came down on a guys foot playin hoops - doctors poped it back - that was 25 yrs ago- now i wear a brace if going hikin/hunting if i want to last more than a day or two or resort to aleve to help - even if i stand on it too long - added weight doesnt help - i have to use my other foot to pop/snap it so feels normal - gets so i can hardly stand on it if i dont watch out!

good luck - do not push it to go back to work -

AZ

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Salmonhead, sorry to hear of your injury. I slipped on wet grass while running in a thunderstorm about 4 years ago and broke my left ankle. Actually I blew it up. I They had a fancy azz name for what I did to it, but besides the fractures, I also basically destroyed the tendons that hold your leg bones together so that they set correctly on top of your foot.

I had a surgery performed here in Muskegon, and after 12 weeks I was disheartened to learn it did not work and would need another , more complicated surgery. The good news was that one of the worlds best Orthopedic surgeons that specializes in foot/ankle inuries is in Grand Rapids at Granp Rapids Orthopedics. His name is Dr Anderson. I would highly suggest that you contact his office, or have your doctor make a referral immediately! He is the only surgeon i would ever let touch me if I have a choice in it. Also they have their own surgical center there at exit 36 off of I-96.
You might as well have the best check it our for sure.
PM me if you have any questions.

I still have pain and soreness, especially in cold rainy weather, and it is not as flexible as it once was. Range of motion is limited......

Good luck as fishing weather is fast approaching.

Keith

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Amputation is the only plausable fix.....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Tom264
Amputation is the only plausable fix.....

you're always the eternal optimist...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I shattered mine April of '86 while racing motocross.
Reconstructive surgery consisted of 14 screws, two ten inch stainless plates & a bone graft out of my hip.
I was off work a couple months but was deer hunting by August.
I stil have the screws & plates but threaten to have them removed soon.
I was very lucky that they didn't fuse the ankle solid which was a very real option at the time.

Proud NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
done it playing soccer and have sprained both playing soccer so badly i was told it would have been better to break them. yoga was the only thing that saved me. now i wear lowa sheep hunter boots even when hiking because they are flexible fore and aft but pretty stout side to side.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I broke my ankle years ago and have no issues whatsoever.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No break for me here but I did have my ankle surgically reconstructed due to old age and various motorcycle related trauma.

The only downside has been activities on uneven ground such as hunting/hiking. End of the day ALWAYS has me cursing my very existence.

Next day all is well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife shattered her right ankle in an auto accident in November 2007, Three Steel Plates and twenty plus screws later and three and a half years later she's about 97% recovered will have all the hardware in her right leg for the rest of her life. She has good movement in the foot and ankle, not 100% but about 95%. the only time it bothers her is when there is a change of weather, no problem she does and gos just as good as before wreck.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.