Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/04/new-scope-ring-alignment-tool-for-hunting-rifles/

Check out this system for scope mounting in conjuntion with dovetail and or, dual dovetail rings and bases. Really works slick.

Jerry sent me one of these for T&E. Pretty cool idea....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see where he has applied for a patent, but haven't long pointed bars been around for a long time? All he has done is found an application for one. I mean, if I kill a snake with a hoe, can I patent it as a snake killer? Makes no sense to me although I do see where it would work. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes, slick. Looks better than using a lapping bar to do the same thing. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best thing a guy could do is ditch the twist in rings! LOL especially rear windage adjustable.

1 and done
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Wait a minute........That's kind've a take-off from the scope mounting kit with two pointy bars that pointed towards one another and you lined them up with the points almost touching.

I can recall thinking about buying those from Midway 25 years ago.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
"conceptual thought" is always where its at--

about 140 years ago a fellow bent a piece of wire into a loop--

it was well known that wire had been around for many a year...

today we know that "bent wire" as a paper clip.

(while i know it can't be agreed upon as to who really was responsible/and patent vs. no patent, etc. the above example illustrates conceptual thought to this type of issue).

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent! I made my own long pointy bar years ago (got the suggestion from a gunsmithing book-- maybe Jim Carmichael's book?).

Only the best will do for my mounting jobs!

[Linked Image]

John

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
... and here I thought it was a Talley thread <grin>...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by highridge1
The best thing a guy could do is ditch the twist in rings! LOL especially rear windage adjustable.

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is amazing that I never heard of this device before today and I can attest to it's simple elegance and design. I bought a Cooper 17HMR from brassman here on the Campfire and needed to scope it.

I called George at the Powderhorn here in Bozeman and told him I needed some matte rings to go on a new Cooper I had bought. When I got there, Bill and I put the rifle in the vise and he pulled this instrument out and we proceeded to put the rings on the rifle.

Bill explained the principle on how it was designed and we put the rings in place and loaded the tool into the bottom rings. With a few adjustments, we tightened everything down, checking the center of the bolt and bore with the points on the tool. After everything was set to our satisfaction, we bore sighted the scope only to find it off-center about 5 clicks.

I took it to the range and was 2 inches left and about 3 inches high, more than satisfactory for a bore sighting. This tool does work and would be a valuable tool in any shooter's box that cares about easy, true alignment of their scopes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Very interesting!

One thing many people don't realize about the common pair of pointy-tipped mounting bars is that just because the points of both bars align doesn't mean the rings are aligned. This is easily proven by taking two pencils and putting the points together. The angle of each pencil can vary considerably.

Paired mounting bars are much more accurate when the flat ends are matched up, rather than the points. If you use the points, it helps a lot to place a small straight-edge along the bars.

I just received some really interesting alignment bars (1" and 30mm) that have slots so the base screws can be tightened when the bottoms of the rings are in perfect alignment. I haven't used them much yet, but they hold a lot of promise.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Very interesting!

One thing many people don't realize about the common pair of pointy-tipped mounting bars is that just because the points of both bars align doesn't mean the rings are aligned. This is easily proven by taking two pencils and putting the points together. The angle of each pencil can vary considerably.

Paired mounting bars are much more accurate when the flat ends are matched up, rather than the points. If you use the points, it helps a lot to place a small straight-edge along the bars.

I just received some really interesting alignment bars (1" and 30mm) that have slots so the base screws can be tightened when the bottoms of the rings are in perfect alignment. I haven't used them much yet, but they hold a lot of promise.

Where did you get those alignment bars?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last scope I mounted in Leupold dual dovetail rings I went cheap on the alignment tool.

I found a 3/8" drive deep Craftsman socket in my tool box that measured almost exactly 1". The problem was I only had one. My next door neighbor just happened to have another one that was the same.

With the two 1" od sockets and a straight edge it was easy as could be to be align the rings and mount the scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very interesting!

John,

I talked to Jerry about these bars, and he told me he has one with your name on it. I will get one from him and get it to you. They are a way to perfectly align the rings, I did it, so that has to be a testimonial of the simplicity of the bar...

Shrapnel

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
One thing many people don't realize about the common pair of pointy-tipped mounting bars is that just because the points of both bars align doesn't mean the rings are aligned.

Noticed that myself. The bars could be 90 degrees from each other, and still line up point to point. They actually work better if you flip them around flat side to flat side. That being said, a lapping bar works even better, and Burris Signatures work even better than that! cool

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Shrapnel,

That would be great!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Agar426,

The bars came from a well-known custom gunsmith. He wants me to test them thoroughly before revealing anything else.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
dogcatcher,

Burris Signatures are great!

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I thought the same about the two pointy ends, and a light went on. The pencil analogy is a good one. I went with a couple of pieces of 1" drill rod, with the ends faced off smooth. One can also serve as a scope substitute for bedding the rings in epoxy.

And dittos on the Burris Signature rings.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I mounted my only set of dual dovetail rings without a bar or bars. I used my caliper and measured both sides at the area the screws go through the caps. It was very tedious but I got them aligned. My gunsmith looked at them later when I took the rifle to him to have the LOP shortened and said I did a good job and asked how I did it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
126 members (32_20fan, 338reddog, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.