Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
XLTFX4, Thats a great rifle.
The ones that came after 1960 are easy to forget

That was good for a chuckle.
However. Savage didn't make any 99's after 1960. They made junk.

Hey my 99E is a nice shooting rifle, might have been made in '79 or '80, might not have the prettiest wood...but it is definitely NOT junk. Bet it'll kill a deer just as dead as your "R".

An AMC Pacer is an AMC Pacer and a Corvette is a Corvette.........the fact that they can both get you to work don't count for jack [bleep] wink

Beats the hll out of anything else I could afford in a lever gun. If I wanted a Pacer I'd have bought a Mossberg. In the brush I hunt in you don't want to carry anything too pretty anyway...by the way when it comes to hunting I could care less if I had to hit it with a rock as long as I hit what I'm aiming at.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
GB1

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Hey thanks to all for the kind words about my EG.
Jed, that's the rifle I bought a few years back and posted a different pic when I first came to the forum. This pic that I posted against the tree makes the colors look washed out from the sun, but you guys still had a sharp enough eye to see the condition despite that! You guys ARE good! Way too nice to hunt with, though.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's nice to see the heavy bastard R's have a following. Back when I was still doing shows, new condition R's in 300 Savage would sit on the table all w/end with an asking of 400$. I wouldn't carry one of them boat anchors across the street. If I'm gonna tote a 99...it's gonna be a Featherweight.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Best 308? Right here...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
It's nice to see the heavy bastard R's have a following. Back when I was still doing shows, new condition R's in 300 Savage would sit on the table all w/end with an asking of 400$. I wouldn't carry one of them boat anchors across the street. If I'm gonna tote a 99...it's gonna be a Featherweight.

Funny, not that I think this is appropriate, but one just sold last week on GB, no tags, no box.... $1000! 300R...

Rory,

That is one awesome gun! I might have to do a custom gun with a C/C receiver one of these days.

I like the 308F... hunted with one a few years ago and its killed deer just find but it does kick pretty good when shooting 180s off the bench.

Last edited by lovemy99; 04/28/11.

Andrew
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
them 180's must be unmerciful sonsabitches. I shoot OTC 150's and it can get stingy after a few groups of 3. If I rolled my own I'd use 100's.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys,

I just came into what I was told was a 99R in .308. However, after reading the first page and the descriptions posted by Phil99 I wonder if I don;t have a 99F instead? It's a Pre-mil SN 90367XX. Bbl is 21" to the face of the receiver. The rifle is lighter than my EG. I noted the barrel has swell/band where the rear sight is dovetailed into. Does this sound like an F to you?

I honestly didn't care about the caliber, I was just looking for a nice unmolested 99 that was factory D&T'd for scope bases.

My EG is not and while fun to shoot I am limited by my vision with the open sights.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes if it has the barrel band [not right term] it is an mod F nice gun pick it up
NORM

ps,, rear sight is mounted on raised portion

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I couldn't think of the correct term either. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm glad its an F. I really like my EG in .300 Savage but just like/NEED a scope these days in the field beyond 100 yds.

It's a nice rifle in good shape. Already have it.

I just found the thread on rotor spring adjustment. I need to give that a try, the rotor hangs up with more than one round in it. Seems to need a little extra tension.

Last edited by z1r; 04/28/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its called a barrel boss or rear sight boss... post some pics!

Andrew
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
here is a 308F that I hunted with a few years ago, put meat in the freezer with a couple of does..

[Linked Image]

all that is left of a 150gr corelokt, found in a tree on the other side of the deer...seems to have lost its jacket at some point ... (it was a cranial shot, so no surprise the bullet got mangled)

[Linked Image]

Andrew
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with Oldotter! The best looking 99s period were the model R's from the '50's! Rare in .308, though. I really like my EG but my R is my favorite of all my guns.

Around here the most common pre '60 99 in .308 is the F. Anyone notice that the lever on the F is lighter than the earlier guns? Less steel in it. And then they started using the lighter lever on most 99s as far as i can tell.

The .308 is versatile, inexpensive and common everywhere, but my feeling is that the .300 Savage is the king of the 99 calbers. Chambering these guns in .308 and .243 and all that was a compromise, the beginning of the decline that got into full swing in 1960. To me, the ultimate classic 99 is a '50's era R in .300 Savage barring that, an EG in the same caliber and era. These guns were the pinnacle of the 99 before it went down the slippery slope.

Last edited by gulo; 04/29/11.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep... when they started making the Winchester calibers the levers got rounded off a little... they also don't hold their case color nearly as well as the earlier levers did. Might be a whole different steel or maybe a different casing procedure????

Andrew
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by lovemy99
yep... when they started making the Winchester calibers the levers got rounded off a little... they also don't hold their case color nearly as well as the earlier levers did. Might be a whole different steel or maybe a different casing procedure????

The steel is shinier, for sure.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Glad to have somebody who sees the light. grin But I must concede my R in 300 savage is a tack driver. Will group 3 in 5/8 inch of my hand rolled rounds. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] My Rs are great shooters. If some folks complain bout em being heavy, tell the girls to stay on the couch> wink grin

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oldotter
Glad to have somebody who sees the light. grin But I must concede my R in 300 savage is a tack driver. Will group 3 in 5/8 inch of my hand rolled rounds. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] My Rs are great shooters. If some folks complain bout em being heavy, tell the girls to stay on the couch> wink grin

My EG in .300 Savage will do the same. It's an amazing rifle and very easy to shoot offhand unlike so many "modern" rifles.

I will try to get some pics of my F in .308 tomorrow if the weather permits.

A big thanks to Longbeardking for posting the rotor spring adjustment instructions.

I'm up to three 99's now. 22HP, .300, .308. Best of all, I scored a Redfield model 70 sight today for my EG. That should make it even easier to shoot 5/8"s.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok, here are some pics I snapped this morning:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
very nice condition. Is the bolt jewelled? Don't see a lot of the Fs that do not have the fluted stocks either.

The swivels are not factory but you will look a long time before you find too many Fs without swivels.

Andrew
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
got yourself a lifelong companion there. Nice.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, the bolt is Jewelled. Kinda knew the swivels weren't original but as you say, you have to look long and hard. Of course, their presence made it affordable. :-)

The case is a little thin on the lever especially compared to my EG but bluing is very good over all with only a small amount "use" present.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 1,215 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.