Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get the Rockchucker...It's the best...

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wasted 7 years of my life with a Rockchucker, before I spent the money and got a co-ax.

Now I have two co-ax presses and have designed a number of improvements.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
nuther vote for co-ax

She sits right where the lee use to sit

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BigBlack; 04/27/11.

Paul Graham
Clean-um, Prep-um, Pack-um, Load-um, Bang-um
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, just to see if the Lee bashers knew what they were talking about I bought a Lee Challenger. Is it as finely finished as a press costing several hundred dollars more? No, of course not. Does it look like some sort of Rube Goldberg machine? Nope, disappointed again. It looks like a single stage reloading press.
But the proof of the pie is in the tasting. It turns out .223 ammo that has a 0.00-0.002 runout. I laugh all the way to the bank. smile

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I started with a lee challenger press, and loaded 1000's of rounds with it, quality, accurate ammunition.

But the question was what is the best single stage press, and based on my experience of owning and using ~1/2 dozen different kinds of presses is the co-ax is the best.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"just to see if the Lee bashers knew what they were talking about I bought a Lee Challenger."

Lee's Challenger isn't on my bench but I wouldn't care if it was. Keep the large bolt that holds the two-part toggle block tight (as the instructions clear say) and the Challenger will do anything except - maybe - major case reforming. Few people do that so it doesn't matter.

"Best" of anything is relitive and largely a personal thing. If I had to replace my RCBS Rock Chucker tomorrow it would be with Lee's Classic Cast; it's the better press.

The Co-Ax is a good enough press but I don't care for the ergonomics so I wouldn't buy one if they cut the price in half.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used several presses and would say most were equal with each having its own pluses and minuses until I got the forster. There is NO comparison between this press and the others (including the rockchucker). Changing dies takes literally 1 second and it is built like a tank. I also currently have a Dillon 650 but unless you shoot one caliber alot (and I mean a lot) I wouldn't recommend one. Buy a forster and I promise you will never regret it. There is a reason you see other presses for sale in classifieds and never see a forster.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In my case, I was loading a whole lot of .223 ammo and a whole lot of 22-250 ammo so I bought the Lee so I could have a dedicated set up for the .223. I already had a RCBS press that I used only for 22-250. And another RCBS that I used for general reloading.
I don't think I could afford to spend several hundred dollars for a single cartridge dedicated press. But with the Challenger or any of the more modestly priced presses,I could.

Aim for the exit hole.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by boomtube
"just to see if the Lee bashers knew what they were talking about I bought a Lee Challenger."

Lee's Challenger isn't on my bench but I wouldn't care if it was. Keep the large bolt that holds the two-part toggle block tight (as the instructions clear say) and the Challenger will do anything except - maybe - major case reforming. Few people do that so it doesn't matter.

Yeah the large bolt and two-part toggle block is the weak link of this press; I've broken several. Lee offers replacements CHEAP so it isn't an issue for me.

I can tell you, and I don't know if this is what one would call "major" case reforming, but I've necked 270 WCF brass up to 338-06 with no problem on mine, as well as 22-250 up to 6mm-250 (which I KNOW is not "major").

I bought the anniversary kit years ago when I started loading and nearly all the parts of that have been replaced... I think I still have the original funnel... and I had figured the "cheap" press would need it sooner rather than later but here I am, thousands of rounds reloaded, and other than the cheap toggles mentioned above I'm happy as can be. If I were to purchase a new one it would only be so that I could have 2 cartridges set up and running at the same time cuz this one ain't needing replacing!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"I don't know if this is what one would call "major" case reforming,.."

Expanding necks up or taking them down as you describe really isn't a press stressing task. I do consider making some of my best .22-250 and 6mm International cases from .35 Whelen/.30-06 to be major case reforming and that MIGHT be more than I would ask of a Challenger press! wink

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sure like the Redding Big Boss II with the taller opening and the spent primer tube system. My RCBS Rockchucker is 32 years old and as soon as I wear it out I am buying a BB-II (or by then maybe it will be a BB-III or BB-IV......)

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Imho about any of the single stage presses put out there by a reputable company is pretty well suited for reloading ammo. Now if you are trying to form 22 hornet cases out of 50cal brass then something like a rockchucker is probably the way to go. Seriously for years I used an old lyman spartan c press I bought from a dorm mate in college for $10 and did fine. I have had for the past 25 years a RCBS reloader special and it has been just great. I do like the compound leverage presses better as to taking much less effort but the old ones are fine. My brother still has my old spartan and uses it still.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 75 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,668
Posts18,455,952
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.