Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Cadillac and Vega made by CM.If you want a Cadillac then buy a Cadillac.Why does this need to be explained?

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Probably a stupid move by them to have this cheapy scope,but the Razor HD and Viper scopes are really pretty good.

Last time I looked through a Leuplod Rifleman I wasn't too impressed!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Vortex is like most optics brands in that they don't actually manufacture their products. They spec out what they want and have others manufacture them to a certain spec and price target. As is the case here, the high end stuff and the low end stuff isn't even made in the same factory and even in the same part of the world. Vortex is a good company who treats their customers right, but no matter the brand, you can't buy a high magnification variable scope for $100 and expect it to be very good. Their high end stuff is very good.

Ted
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Probably a stupid move by them to have this cheapy scope,but the Razor HD and Viper scopes are really pretty good.

Yup.

Bushnell has blister pack stuff, and they have the 6500 line. Burris has Black Diamond scopes and Timberlines. Nikon has ProStaffs up to Monarch Gold/African offerings. I think the only folks who don't have a low-end line are the Alphas. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying that's how it is.

Every time I go to my local range, I'm reminded that, zealous though we are, we Campfire-ites make up a tiny sliver of the hunting/outdoors market. There are many, many more people out there who are content to buy whatever's cheapest. So if a mfgr isn't going to offer a low line, they're going to have to fight furiously for a slice of a tiny pie.

The best we can do is to buy a company first, & the products second. The experience of many has been that Vortex goes above & beyond to make things right. Has the OP contacted them to see if/how they would resolve the problem?

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 04/29/11.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by liliysdad
This is what sours me on Vortex. Any company that makes a sub-$100 and a $2000 dollar optic is suspect. Just too much variance.

most optics importers do that, just like Bushnell

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Yup.

Bushnell has blister pack stuff, and they have the 6500 line. Burris has Black Diamond scopes and Timberlines. Nikon has ProStaffs up to Monarch Gold/African offerings. I think the only folks who don't have a low-end line are the Alphas. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying that's how it is.

Every time I go to my local range, I'm reminded that, zealous though we are, we Campfire-ites make up a tiny sliver of the hunting/outdoors market. There are many, many more people out there who are content to buy whatever's cheapest. So if a mfgr isn't going to offer a low line, they're going to have to fight furiously for a slice of a tiny pie.

The best we can do is to buy a company first, & the products second. The experience of many has been that Vortex goes above & beyond to make things right. Has the OP contacted them to see if/how they would resolve the problem?

FC

Absolutely; well stated!

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lt7010
This is what sours me on Vortex. Any company that makes a sub-$100 and a $2000 dollar optic is suspect. Just too much variance.

most optics importers do that, just like Bushnell

And Leupold. And Nikon. And Burris. And Zeiss (except that their low-end scope is still a Conquest grin ). Etc.

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you Shrap, that is what I was trying to say.

Coupla things:
1 - I did not actually see these reviews until after received.
2 - if you guys would have read more and assumed less, you would know that I in no way wanted a Vx-3 for the cost of a scope base.
3 - I DID expect soething that didn't make slinky-spring noises when operated.

I am sure that there are somgreat Vortex products out there but I think y'all need to re-read that 2nd post. Several others here have and understood what I was trying to say.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bruce, to be fair I would think you should change the title of this thread to "The Vortex Crossfire Sucks".

The Leupold Rifleman and the Burris Timberline scopes suck pretty bad but that doesn't mean Leupold and Burris as a whole suck.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Bruce, to be fair I would think you should change the title of this thread to "The Vortex Crossfire Sucks".

The Leupold Rifleman and the Burris Timberline scopes suck pretty bad but that doesn't mean Leupold and Burris as a whole suck.

nsa, I have alot of respect for you, so yes, I will do so if still possible (will know in a minute), but I think the following is what was missed by most:

I work for a company that is not involved in this manufacturing, but in our market segment, we regularly have to make decisions as to whether or not we want to make a product at a profit, or break-even just to fill a niche, keeping our 'foot in the door' of the respective customer or market segment. When we get to that point, we always as ourselves if the product we are selling at reduced cost/value with ultimately hurt us if the product is perceived as poor.

I think that Vortex should have asked themselves this

Also, although the Rifleman series and the Timberline series are not well though of here (and possibly deservedly so), This morning at dawn I got a Father-in-Law's Rifleman 3-9x power and compared, and this Crossfire is no-where NEAR the quality of that scope, FYI.......

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that is more accurate as well as being more fair.

Thank you for taking the time to do it.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
WOW I just bought a vortex diamondback 4x12 Ao for a new rimfire build. Could not happier let me say I run leupold's on just about everthing I own vx111s. Time will tell but this vortex really seams to be a keeper.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've never been impressed with anything Vortex sells...they are good at marketing, i will give them that.

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I admit that I should have done better research first, but I so wholly unimpressed that it just was not funny. During deer season, i had a gun with a VX-1 4-12 non/AO scope, and it was far better than this. I would have had it still, but was offered a good trade, so here we are.

_
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're much better off paying for quality rather than quantity when it comes to magnification. If your budget is low, then the best quality 9x you can afford will probably keep you much happier than any high mag scope for the same money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just received the vortex Crossfire 6x24, the 99 dollar special just to see what it was like. While I'm not buy high end german or american glass I do have couple of 4200's, vx-2's, grandslams and sig selects plus a vipe 6.5x20 I understand the difference between good and cheap. Took it out of the box yesterday and ran it through all the gyrations the poster did and it function just fine it is clear to the edges at all powers but very finiky at high power for eye position and adjustment I'm looking forward to getting it on a rifle to check tracking, but I suspect it will do just fine.

When I orderred this I never expected to have a hunt depending on it just to use for load development on my hunting rifles and it can always go back to vortex to fix or replace.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yap, kinda like Kia offering a $75,000 Sedan.

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
they are good at marketing, i will give them that.
Too good.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by iambrb
I think the following is what was missed by most:

I work for a company that is not involved in this manufacturing, but in our market segment, we regularly have to make decisions as to whether or not we want to make a product at a profit, or break-even just to fill a niche, keeping our 'foot in the door' of the respective customer or market segment. When we get to that point, we always as ourselves if the product we are selling at reduced cost/value with ultimately hurt us if the product is perceived as poor.

I think that Vortex should have asked themselves this

Also, although the Rifleman series and the Timberline series are not well though of here (and possibly deservedly so), This morning at dawn I got a Father-in-Law's Rifleman 3-9x power and compared, and this Crossfire is no-where NEAR the quality of that scope, FYI.......

I think that's an excellent point, and I agree with it. I don't believe most missed your intent there, though. Folks were commenting on the fact you were condemning an entire brand because they offer a low end scope as well as stuff priced more toward the high end, when in fact many optics companies do the same. Whether or not the Crossfire is worse than other companies low end scopes is a subjective judgment where opinions will differ. I've seen some pretty crappy low end stuff from Bushnell, Nikon, Burris, and a few others that I personally thought couldn't get much worse. Having really high magnification only makes things worse. If the 3-9X Rifleman topped out at 24X, it would probably look just as bad as the Crossfire. Low price + high magnification = poor optics... regardless of brand.

Ted
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
yawn..............what a revelation!@!

Cheap scopes suck. Now who would have ever thunk THAT? shocked

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slg888
Yap, kinda like Kia offering a $75,000 Sedan. Hey, careful! My wife loves her '08 Kia Optima V6. Pretty good bang for the buck when purchased used

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
they are good at marketing, i will give them that.
Too good.

Yeah, apparently Vortex does provide good customer service, but I would prefer not to have to hassle with sending scopes back for repair/replacement. But to be fair to Vortex in this discussion, it really isn't fair to compare a $99 6-24x50 cheap scope to a Leupold Rifleman 3-9 that retails for almost double the price of the Vortex. I should hope the Rifleman is better optically at half the maximum magnification and twice the price. Same goes for comparing the Crossfire to a Leupold VX-1 4-12, as the Leupie is again, more than twice the price of the Crossfire. And I just got a new Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 on sale at Cabelas for $95. It is probably superior optically to the Crossfire, too. But again it offers 1/3 the maximum magnification, and I wanted it for my S&W MP 15-22 since it has a 75 yard parallax setting. I don't expect it to equal a VX-3 (or even a Nitrex 1.5-5x32, which I probably should have ordered instead when Natchez and ATK were offering the $50 mail in rebate)
My theory is to buy the best quality you can afford. And watch for discontinued close out items. I have been happy with my $89 Intensity Optics 6.5-20x44 scopes I got a couple of years ago. Not VX-3's but have given good service, and I could probably sell them any time for what I gave for them. (I think they are pretty much identical to the old Simmons 44 Mag scopes from a few years back. All my "cheap scopes" were assembled in the Phillipines. I believe the really cheap scopes, like the Crossfire are made in China.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.