Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
squeeze, I'm not having trouble actually chambering a VLD, just can't seem to risk using one on a bull. Like I said, I bet the VLD is great, but the "faster kill" doesn't concern me as I have seen elk go dead plenty fast with the Accubond. Lots of em. The extra couple seconds ain't gonna matter. The OP would do well with either it seems. mtmuley

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
smokepole is that what Blair meant with the little smirky-face? grin

I have no idea what he meant, I don't know what those little guys mean, except this one: grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtmuley
squeeze, I'm not having trouble actually chambering a VLD, just can't seem to risk using one on a bull. Like I said, I bet the VLD is great, but the "faster kill" doesn't concern me as I have seen elk go dead plenty fast with the Accubond. Lots of em. The extra couple seconds ain't gonna matter. The OP would do well with either it seems. mtmuley

That's prety much where I come form on the issue as well. While the VLDs may KILL an elk quicker with a broadside hit, I just dont trust them to penetrate on bad angles, especially the lighter, faster variety. Will VLDs drop elk significantly faster than other bullets? You tell me:

7mm Rem Mag, 160g Grand Slam, 6x5 bull elk, straight down (2000)
7mm Rem Mag, 160g Grand Slam, 5x5 bull elk, straight down (2002)
7mm Rem Mag, 160g Grand Slam, cow elk, 40 yards (2002)
.45-70, 350g North Fork, 6x6 elk, straight down (2003)
.300 Win Mag, 180g North Fork, cow elk, 25 yards (2006)
.30-06, 165g North Fork, cow elk, straight down, back up and straight down again on 2nd shot (2007)
.30-06, 165g North Fork, cow elk, straight down, back up and straight down again on 2nd shot (also 2007)
.30-06, 150g AccuBond, cow elk, straight down (2010)

I've spent the last three years trying to help my son-in-law get his first elk. He did so last year, 2010, a cow at 363 yards with a .300WM and a 180g Winchester Power-Point. It was on the ground before he recovered from the recoil.

My opinion, and as I've said before, the only way a VLD could have dropped them significantly faster is if they started to drop before the shot...

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/30/11.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
After using most every bullet out there in different calibers and the one non premium I used the most was the Sierra and a killer it was when everything was just right..

If you hunt Elk long enough,you will find out, you don't always get the perfect shot and that's when you separate the men from the boys in the bullet world...

I totally agree with Coyote Hunter..A bullet that will work in all circumstances is a small price to pay on an expensive endeavor anyway.I have never used the VLD and see no reason to even try them when Noslers will do everything I want out of a bullet,every time,so far.

Jayco

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
On the other hand, the cow elk I killed that year might've been an interesting test for a VLD. She was steeply uphill from me and the bullet hit the "elbow"- which is a very solid mass of bone- before entering the chest. There was even some air time between elbow and re-entering the elk' chest.

The Accubond did great, smashing through the elbow then going kind of diagonally through the chest to the hide at the base of the neck on the other side.

Bigsqueeze or John Burns or JB- any gut feeling what a VLD would have likely done in this case?
.............My gut feeling is that a VLD would have done just fine.

My last elk was impacted on the right side shoulder. The 30 cal 190 VLD from my 300 WSM carbine @ 328 yards, penetrated not only the thickest part of the bone, but there were quite a number of bullet fragments found just below the hide on the opposite side, guessing a full 20" to 22" of total penetration from side to side.

When discussing shooting angled concerns on elk for example, and when one has a good 30-35 degrees going either way, meaning either quartering to or quartering away, that`s a good 60 to 70 degrees of total lee-way to play with, which the VLD is very capable of penetrating to elk vitals given those angles.

Even before I started using the VLDs, my shooting angles on all my previous elk kills (9), were always within those angled ranges. But regardless of bullet, I have never killed any game at extreme angles when quartering away and won`t.

Part of stalking, is also trying to achieve good angled positioning for the shot. In that regard, perhaps the VLDs are a little more challenging, which is certainly OK by me.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blair338RUM
How about the 250gr AB out of a 338RUM or the 338Edge?

.575BC and a higher SD than the 200gr 30caliber AB.

It works well on 'roos........have never tried it on elk though wink
..................I do have something a little similiar. See below.

Don`t plan on using VLDs for elk all the time.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Had Jack O'Conner/Elmer Kieth and Jack Atcheson only had the berger VLD at hand,we would be a changed population of Elk Hunters and thoughts.Nerxt thing you know,every Elk Guide in the USA is going to require Bergers to hunt.....Easier on the guides and horses when it is a bang/flop and your dead on the spot....

Yeah right grin grin grin

How many years have some of you guys been hunting?

Jayco

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by logcutter
Had Jack O'Conner/Elmer Kieth and Jack Atcheson only had the berger VLD at hand,we would be a changed population of Elk Hunters and thoughts.Nerxt thing you know,every Elk Guide in the USA is going to require Bergers to hunt.....Easier on the guides and horses when it is a bang/flop and your dead on the spot....

Yeah right grin grin grin

How many years have some of you guys been hunting?

Jayco
..........Been hunting awhile; nearly 50 years.

Speaking of which. Someone posted on here (don`t remember whom), that there is one or possibly two elk outfitters, who in fact reco only using the VLDs to their clients on elk hunts.

Maybe the person who posted that info can let us know who the outfitter or outfitters are? Maybe a good idea to quiz them and find out why? Thinking outside the traditional box, isn`t always a bad thing.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like you and Burns...Atleast we can talk without throwing names at each other...My take and yours differ but who really cares?I ain't changing and i bet you fellers ain't either.

Never understood why any experienced hunter would try and change anothers opinion on what works....

To each his own....

Jayco

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
smokepole is that what Blair meant with the little smirky-face? grin

I thought he didn't like my old bullets...LOL! blush grin

No Bob, I was in total agreement with you, mate. eek

I just liked the fact that you lobbed Bitteroots into this thread! grin I reckon they would have to be one of the greatest bullets of all time.

And with regard to slotting an elk, I think I would use a 210 Scirocco out of my 338RUM......it goes 3230fps with RL-22 and it has a BC of .507. It clobbered three Oryx in a row, including one at 640 yards........and I'd say a Oryx is as tough as an elk, just not as big in the body.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Blair, I suspected that and was only joking... grin

A pal called from Amarillo,TX last night to ask me what I thought about Swift Scirrocco's for African plains game, and wants to talk about it today sometime......I really don't know as my use of them for animals is limited.....and I've not been to Africa...... frown grin

Got any thoughts on them? I suspect he is talking 30 cal in a 300 WSM or 30/06.

Anyone else have any thoughts/ experience with the SS II's?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyone else have any thoughts/ experience with the SS II's?

This could be a new thread, I'm interested in hearing about experience with the 6.5 mm. 130 grainers.

Published BC of .571.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

When discussing shooting angled concerns on elk for example, and when one has a good 30-35 degrees going either way, meaning either quartering to or quartering away, that`s a good 60 to 70 degrees of total lee-way to play with, which the VLD is very capable of penetrating to elk vitals given those angles.

Even before I started using the VLDs, my shooting angles on all my previous elk kills (9), were always within those angled ranges. But regardless of bullet, I have never killed any game at extreme angles when quartering away and won`t.

��and won�t�? That�s what I used to say as well, until I took an angling away shot on a muley buck that turned and stepped forward just as the trigger broke. An easy angling shot suddenly became a near-90-degree shot with a hit to the right ham.

Part of stalking, is also trying to achieve good angled positioning for the shot. In that regard, perhaps the VLDs are a little more challenging, which is certainly OK by me.

Full agreement there regarding the stalking and I�ve let lots of animals walk when I couldn�t get the shot I wanted. (As well as quite a few where I had the shot and just decided not to ruin a perfectly good hunt with a lot of hard work, but they don�t count for anything in this context.)

�Work hard for the best and plan for the worst� has saved my butt more than a few times. Failing to do so has caused me a lot of unnecessary grief. I much prefer the former.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"turned and stepped forward just as the trigger broke"

Doggone things move don't they? A moving target will mess up the best planned shot...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll second those Bitterroot Bullets and still have some left in a 200 grn for the ole .300 Win mag, I wish they were .338 caliber but so much is life.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tonk: I had a good number of 200 and 225 338 BBC's but sold them when I stopped shooting 338 frown

But I got plenty of 375's grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/02/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 58 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.