Print Thread
Hop To
C
ChanceD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Had this old Westernfield Mauser 30-06 in my gun safe for a few years, finally thought I would do something with it. The bore has always been bright and without any pitting. Took the rifle apart, blasted it, Dura-coated in a mix of matte black and gloss black, full length bedding the stock with marine-tex and then sanded the stock and refinished. I then put an old Redfield wideview accurange 3X9 with Redfield mounts and rings. I think it turned out pretty good.

I have some loads worked up using 150gr. Sierra Gameking and some IMR 4064 and H-4831SC. Will be taking it to the range tomarrow and see what happens.

rifle looks good but the pics with the cell phone suck!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ChanceD; 05/02/11.
BP-B6

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Looks good! Is that a military Mauser or an FN Mauser?

C
ChanceD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I really am not sure, I'm not a Mauser expert...but I do believe this may be a military Mauser. I believe on the left side of the receiver in front of the ejection port there is a small eagle with it's wings spread out. This Westernfield rifle which I think was sold at Montgomery Wards a good many years ago has a marking on the barrel that states it was made in West Germany.

I'm sure there are others on this site that are more knowledgeable than I about these particular Mausers.

Thanks for the nice comments, I hope it shoots good!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a grade A hunting rifle to me. Congratulations!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Chance,

There has been more than one thread about these rifles in the last few years.... They seem to pop up occaisionally... If you look on the bottom of the barrel just in front of the action, you will see that it was made by F.W. Heym. Also, if you compare it to a standard M-98, you will find these are about 1/4" shorter between the action screws. Actually they are the same as the Turkish Mauser, I believe. And, of course, you will note the lever release floorplate which was not available on ANY military action that I'm aware of...
But then, I am no means a expert on Mauser rifles...

If one has a keen interest in Mauser rifles, I have found two books that are well worth the cost. Mauser Bolt Rifles by Ludwig Olsen and Original Mauser Sporting Rifles by Jon Speed. I have both, but a quick perusal, revealed nothing on the Wards M-720B or the F.W. Heym connection to them.

I have owned two Western Field M-720-B rifles, both in .30-06. The first, had the front of the magazine sawed at the corners and bent forward to give room for the .30-06 Cartridge. I had it bent back, tig welded and refinished then rebarreled the rifle to 7x57. (No longer own this rifle...)

The 2nd one, is currently residing in my gunsmith's shop and is in line to be rebarreled to .376 Steyr. For a short time I had had it rebarreled to .358 Win, but couldn't get it to feed to my satisfaction... So, as the saying goes: "Back to the drawing board...!"

I do hope the above commentary is of some use to you...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
[Linked Image]
This is my Heym/Western Field M720B. They are intermediate length actions originally intended for 7X57 I have been given to understand. Those I have seen are very nice rifles.

I thought about converting this rifle to .376 Steyr as well (also an intermediate length cartridge), but I got on to the .375 Ruger instead.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've owned several of those FW Heym / westernfield mausers and I think they are one of the better values on the used rifle market. Most folks have no idea what they are and although they aren't in the same league as a BRNO 21/22 they are certainly an excellent example of a post war commercial mauser. They are certainly better suited for the x57 cartridges than the standard length FN commercial actions.

Westernfield opted to go with the 30.06 and .270 for chamberings so they opened up the mag box by cutting the front and bending it out. The hinged floorplate is a pretty straightforward conversion of a standard button release military piece (I'm guessing these were Turk milsurp bottoms)
[Linked Image]

The ones I have owned fed very nicely.

The stocks are usually some sort of light colored (french?) walnut and they have skip checkering with a very Weatherbyesque profile. My current westernfield 720b is chambered in 30.06, but I have plans to convert it to something sexier in *x57.
[Linked Image]

Weagle

Last edited by weagle; 05/03/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice vintage rifles.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd like to find one of these at a reasonable price, anyone have any leads?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I need some $ for an Alberta mule deer expedition, so I want to sell my rifle pictured above.

I also have some high speed low drag after market parts: Talley steel bases and Blackburn trigger...

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
PM sent

C
ChanceD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Went out today and tested some loads...Here is the pic of the different groups. Rifle shot really well, very promising... Absolutely no complaints at all. Did not Chrono any of the loads strictly looking for accuracy. May or may not load up another batch with some H-4350.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.