-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeez, Sam, Do ya jam that empty case betwixt his chompers before ya leave, as a message to let all his friends know not to mess with you?

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks

Yes, the picture depicts what I expected, maybe even more red fluid.

I am thinking I must have only hit him with pieces, not a whole bullet..... even though I couldn't find any streaks on the ground from a low bullet strike.

Allen

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my 17 hmr has grenaded squirrels, chipmunks, birds, and raccoons since i got it 4 years ago...ive shot alot of squirrels in the 50-100 yard ranges and all of them had a big ol hole in them and dropped like a rock...shot a couple in a tree and the internals hit the ground before the body did...my favorite small game round, but i do still love my .22 lr

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When shooting small critters at close ranges, I like to start with the .22 LR. Rimfire shooting is cheap and effective. Once the range gets into the 70-plus yards category, the .17 HMR is my choice. The simplicity of grabbing several guns and a couple hundred rounds of ammo for each is very appealing to me, so the rimfires are my preference.

The "little" centerfire cartridges (.17 Ackley Hornet, .17 Ackley Bee, .17 Jet, .17 Rem Fireball, .17 Mach IV, .19 Calhoon and a few others) are the next step up for longer ranges, higher velocity, more energy, better wind resistance and custom bullets. There is a trade-off that we all recognize, and that is the time we spend loading our ammo (or the expense of purchasing that stuff IF it is commercially available). The fun of reloading is part of shooting for me. I don't begrudge the time and effort. . it relaxes me after a hectic day of work.

If you are a red mist, triple-somersault type of rodent shooter, go for something bigger. (Bless you all, thank you, may your tribe increase).

Meanwhile these little rimfire ratsmackers are easy and fun. Pick your favorite and let the other shooters pick their own flavor. We don't want to un-invent the many choices offered by a free (so far!) society.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Seafire

when using a 22 long rifle, I prefer the head shots... they die more animated that way.. a kin to a fish out of water, flopping all over the place...

I've never owned a HMR but ordered one today... grin
I HAVE owned a HM2 though & have to say that even with the lower velocity (same bullet) the .17 flat smokes the LR for killing squirrels...this is a video of a HMR on hogs...towards the end, he gets a double ...(graphic)

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 05/01/11.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I had a nuce benchrest style 17 HMR for prairie dogs. I sold it because it just didn't satisfy my needs. I want big splats at long ranges. I'm back to 223,22-250 ad 243. The 17 HMR is Ok in my book for drive bys.
I don't agree with Jim62 on this comment.
"It's not for everyone. Some folks depend on raw power up make up for poor hits."
The 17 HMR can't be in the same class as 223 and up. It has it's place and if it fits you shooting/hunting style then go for it.
Just my humble opinion.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Use it within it's limits and it works spectacularly. Personally, I like the V-max's and use them exclusively at my in-laws farm for ground squirrels. Hit 'em solid and there are no crawl offs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
I have tried the 17HMR two different times and found it to be indeed an accurate round at greater range than any other rimfire, but lacking sorely in knockdown power for lack of a better word and no 'gore' or similar sign of a big hit like I get with the 22WMR. My experiences, others have a different view I am sure but I am done with 17cal rimfires.

I agree with this. I've shot thousands of ground squirrels with the round, and anything really violent is rare. But the round tears up the insides of the animal. With a good hit, they'll drop instantly.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.