Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SQUACKS Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
WHEN i was a young-un we used to make rabbit sausage. we would bone up a bunch of rabbits and add to it about 20% of the total weight in pork fat. we seasoned this with a little sage or what ever seasoning we wanted. this all got mixed up and put through a sausage mill a few times. then we made patties and fried them like pork sausage or hamburgers.
<br>if you can round up enough rabbits give this a try. you can freeze the stuff up like hamburgers and have something differant once in a while! luck!

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Squacks,
<br> We had alot of rabbit sausage when I was a kid, but rabbits were plentiful then. One year I saved the hind legs from 50 coons, boned all of it and ground it mixed with beef suet. It made real good hamburger.
<br>

SQUACKS Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
SARGE: i've eaten a coon or two in my life also. and i also thought they tasted like beef. i used to sell the meat to some of the guys i worked with. one time i had a huge old boar. the guy who i taken it to accused me of trying to sell him a dog! so after that i left all the feet on and let him cut them off! he cried around about have to cut off those feet but i told he was getting them with feet or not at all. he never made another complaint! i was selling them very cheap so they wouldn't go to waste but the few dollars paid for the time it took to put them in edible condition.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Many moons ago the meat and fish markets in Wichita would buy gutted coon and possum carcasses from trappers, also rabbits, but now it's illegal. You also could make some extra money gathering freshwater mussles out of the river and digging snake root, but no more. I don't know who messed this country up, but I'd like to get ahold of them. It's still better than any other country that I know of. Just human nature to avoid change, I guess.

SQUACKS Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
SARGE:
<br> years ago i used to dig a little sang. now they put it in everything! i've never heard that it was an honest to god remedy for anything. but a lot of over the counter cure alls have it as a miracle cure. the price went up so much that now they have a season on it and you got to get a permit! only thing i dig once in a while is a little sassafras to make a little tea in the spring. luck!

Last edited by SQUACKS; 02/17/02.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Squacks,
<br> I used to make sassafras tea all the time, but it's very hard to find here in KS, plentiful in NE OK. I read in some article that it was bad for you. Good thing my grandmother didn't know that. She probably would've died at 56 instead of 86, and if she would've known that pork fat and bacon grease were killers, she would've died in her 30s. I guess that's why I don't pay much attention to articles that try to say what's good for you and what's bad. They'll change their mind next week anyway.
<br>

SQUACKS Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
SARGE: DOWN WHERE THE NATIONAL RIMFIRE SQUIRREL HUNT WILL BE THERE IS SOME SASSAFRAS. I JUST LIKE TO CHEW AROUND ON IT WHILE I'M HUNTING. ESPECIALLY TURKEY HUNTING! AND THERE ARE SOME MORREL MUSHROOMS THERE WHICH I LOOK FOR WHILE TURKEY HUNTING! AND THE FISH ARE BITING AROUND THE TIME I'M (YOU GUESSED IT) TURKEY HUNTING! I REALLY LIKE THAT TURKEY HUNTING. LUCK!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Squacks,
<br> I realy like those morels, but I don't trust myself in knowing them from the false morels. My cousin eats what I call puff balls that grow in the pasture. They're pretty good sized and white in color. When they dry out they'll explode into a puff of smoke if you kick them. My great uncle told me that anything that grows in a hollow tree is good to eat.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.