Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Looking at buying a few sets and considering PTG. Any thoughts for or against? Anyone know if Callahan is getting their bottom metal from PTG? Still undecided on Aluminum or steel.

Rick
BP-B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
My buddy has one of the PTG bdl units it's nice!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've used two of their aluminum units and have a third in the closet for my next build. Very nice stuff. The one I had on my .257 Wby in a factory LSS stock rode just a little (maybe .080") proud, but was not enough to bother me. The one I had on my .308 in a McMillan Remington Hunter stock was a perfect fit.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
You guys running the Oberendorf style or standard? Does the Oberendorf have a different inlet?

Rick
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I called 2 weeks ago to buy LA aluminum Oberendorf style and the lady told me 2-4 month waiting time, so I too am interested in this topic.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am disappointed, first off I had to call them 3 times because it didn't show up after I ordered it 2 weeks before, then I get it and its in pieces. so I put in the roll pins and the roll pins are really really tight to get in, so I hammered them in none the less. this made it so the floor plate was very very stiff to open and the spring latch would not return to closed because of the tight roll pins. so I returned it and said send me another that is assembled, got it back shortly and this one still has the stiff floor plate, I guess I will roll with it. BTW this is a short action oberndorf unit.

build guaility is decent, however the bare aluminum looks kinda not right they did do a tumbled finish. I would recommend the black coated unit.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Depending on the dept of the BLD inlet, the Oberndorm might require some minor inletting as the floorplate itself is a bit wider at the rear than the factory unit. I think the Oberndorf is a big improvement over the factory.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Anyone know if Callahan is using PTG stuff and selling it under their name?

Rick
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Are they similiar in dimensions to a William's bm? I'm thinking about trying the aluminum piece for my 7mm wsm.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
rrconductor...I just ordered one LA and one SA Oberndorf both aluminum and they have them in stock. If you are still interested you might want to give them a call.

Rick
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
rc,
Thanks for the info, I don't know why she told 2-4 months as they were listed as specials, but I was not willing to wait that long or longer based on what I have read others experienced.I made other arrangements ,maybe later I will go with PT&G.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know this thread is old but I am looking at the PTG stainless bottom metal for my Remington 700. Anyone out there who has tried their bottom metal?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm on my third one, and think very highly of them. if going BDL, I will continue to use them.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I guess I am unlucky. I just (under 2 weeks ago) got my first stainless PTG bottom metal for a Remington M7. And I am not happy with it at all. The outside dimensions are all undersized(compared to multiple factory units I have on hand) as is the mag box recess. I have 6 factory mag boxes on hand (from 222 up to SAUM) none of them would fit into the recess. Plus the outside being undersized made for rather large gaps in a factory stock. (I had multiple factory stocks on hand to try aswell, both wood and plastic). I am in Canada, so I had to order thru a distributor up here(and pay a mark up frown ) I explained to him the issues, took photos and measurements and emailed them to him who forwarded them to PTG. I was hoping I was just unlucky and they would just replace mine - but nope.... I was told it was my problem. "That they make 100's of them and nobody complains." Not sure how they could argue with the pics and measurements but whatever I guess. Lesson learned, no more PTG orders for me. Sorry for the rant, not usually my style but this one really bugged me.

Last edited by bigJ; 03/26/13.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 677 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.