Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Weedeating with a straight shaft...handle forward...weadeater makes my carpal tunnel and tendonitis really flare up.

The last weedeater I bought, (Stihl), I got the handle bar front and a good strap so I'm not holding the constant weight.

Still bothers me, but not NEAR as much...Next time, I'd try and rig it where you're not holding your arms in a fixed position while holding the weight. Try and disperse some of it to your shoulders maybe...just a thought.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My guess with your almost instantaneous itching and swelling, that it's either a bite of some kind or your hands worked up a good sweat and some kind of pollen that you might be allergic to got into your pores.

My step-son last year had something similar happen to his arm, but it was over a couple day's and turned out to be a serious super staff infection, that apparently entered his blood system through the hair follicles on his arm.

Doctors had him in the hospital for 3 day's on high dose antibiotics, and just barely kept it from getting into his bone marrow.

But his whole arm swelled up and turned blood red!

To this day, he doesn't know how he picked it up, there was no scratches, cuts, or breaks in the skin.

Phil

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is your step son okay? Has this happened again?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
He's OK and it never happened again yet, but that kid for just being something like 43 years old sure picks up some strange diseases.

8 or 10 years ago, one side of his face was paralyzed for about 3 weeks, they have a name for what ever it was, but I can't remember what it was, couldn't hardly even talk.

Phil

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad he's okay. They never stop giving you grey hairs do they! smile

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
DD, as always I've got [bleep] backwards and had to talk to the wife to get things straight.

It wasn't Chuck's arm, but rather his lower leg and knee where the swelling and blood infection took place, doctors called it Cellulitus, and the thing with his face was called Bell's Palsy... both had him really scared, and he spent a few day's in the hospital for both.

And the doctors don't know what caused either!

Phil

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Let me add,..if I die in the night due to my tongue swelling up or some fool thing,..It's been a blast..!

laugh

ZOMBIES for sure! Or did you get drunk and mock a rattlesnake?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
I always liked okra but hated working it. When I was 7 yrs old, My Grandad told me to go to the garden and cut some okra cause family was coming for supper. I took a cane knife and leveled it to the ground leaving a 3" stub on the several rows.

Family took turns whippin my little ass that evening.

I'm amazed that people grow that stuff intentionally.

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Sounds like bee sting.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Benadryl, my friend, Benadryl.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Greyghost
He's OK and it never happened again yet, but that kid for just being something like 43 years old sure picks up some strange diseases.

8 or 10 years ago, one side of his face was paralyzed for about 3 weeks, they have a name for what ever it was, but I can't remember what it was, couldn't hardly even talk.

Phil
Bells palsy

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O

More than likely "Bell's palsy". GW

Phil

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Phil
Bells palsy
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
I always liked okra but hated working it. When I was 7 yrs old, My Grandad told me to go to the garden and cut some okra cause family was coming for supper. I took a cane knife and leveled it to the ground leaving a 3" stub on the several rows.

Family took turns whippin my little ass that evening.

I'm amazed that people grow that stuff intentionally.
As a dr, i didn't know of normal people not liking okra. i mean, in germany they don't eat corn, nor blackeyed peas up north in places-but okra- must be a mental problem.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Boy, sounds like some serious stuff. Hope it doesn't come back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Benadryl, my friend, Benadryl.

+1 Keeping a couple in your wallet for any odd future occurrence isn't a bad idea either.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Last year my wife was at her mother's place where she ate a piece of old stale licorice. It must have had some mold or something in it because she about went viral. They got her to a quick care place where they loaded her up with hospital strength benadryl, not the over the counter stuff. It was strong enough that they had to keep her there for a couple hours to make sure she didn't react to it. It took care of the allergy reaction but it was kind of nasty for a while.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Had something weird happen this morning.

I used the weed eater to cut down some grass around my okra rows. Used it for less than 5 minutes. I was holding the shaft/throttle with my right hand and the hand bar with my left.

After shutting the weedeater off, my hands immediately felt like they were itchy, although there was nothing on them and no amount of scratching would help. After about 5 minutes the itching stopped and then my right hand started to swell up. Within 10 minutes it was swollen up enough that I couldn't make a closed fist.

I've put ice on it thru the day and the swelling has started to go down, but this scares the crap out of me. Only thing I can think of is the vibrations of the weedeater messed with the nerves in my right hand and caused it to swell somehow.

Have any of you ever heard of anything like this happening from vibrations..?

I had a full round of allergy test a few years ago and I was immune to just about everything, so I don't think an allergen started it.

Does Carpal Tunnel cause anything like this.?

The itching is probably the key signal here. you are describing a fairly severe allergic reaction. It is not uncommon for an allergic reaction to show up in this manner.

Were it me, I would suspect the okra since people do have allergies to it commonly enough. I would be extremely careful of okra until I found out for certain, since the next exposure could cause a much worse reaction. I would suspect that the weed whacker caused enough very small particles of okra to become airborne and inhaled.

You can either go to an allergist and get tested for okra sensitivity, or try a simpler test with help and supervison at hand. If you want to try the simple test make sure you have benadryl and someone to get you to an emergency room at hand. the simple test would be to mush up some okra and smear it on the inside of your fore arm. A dime sized spot is more than enough, and let your helper handle it. If it was the okra, you'll know it quickly, it will swell and redden the area it was on. If you can feel it in your lips and tongue get in the car take the benadryl and go to the emergency room before you get worse. If you are allergic to okra this instance could be the warning that you are sensitized. The next exposure could very well trigger a much stronger response.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
About ten years ago I used a small gas weedeater for a couple of hours. After I finished, the hand that held the shaft handle felt like it had gone to sleep from the constant vibration.

It didn't quit tingling for several days after. Sort of scared me. I started using a weedeater with a shoulder strap and handlebars and never had any more problems.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you can feel it in your lips and tongue get in the car take the benadryl and go to the emergency room before you get worse. If you are allergic to okra this instance could be the warning that you are sensitized. The next exposure could very well trigger a much stronger response.

If this makes you nervous, you could also do a DIY test in the waiting room of the ER. It could save a frenzied drive.
Your best bet, though, is an allergist. He might find something more serious that you really want to know about.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

If this makes you nervous, you could also do a DIY test in the waiting room of the ER. It could save a frenzied drive.
Your best bet, though, is an allergist. He might find something more serious that you really want to know about.

I thought about advising him to go to the hospital before trying it. I don't like his odds explaining having a friend smear okra on his forearm should he be observed. He'd likely wind up medicated and strapped to a gurney, especially if he was the least bit incoherent. The the next thing you know there'd be thousands of druggies trying to get high on okra, he'd be famous on you tube, and if he didn't react the hospital would still likely charge him a few thousand dollars.

I shouldn't make fun. My wife was discharged from the local hospital with antibiotics. The next morning after taking her meds she tells me her mouth and tongue feel funny. I did a quick check on her and rushed her to the ER which fortunately is only 2 miles away. By the time I got her there she was in anaphylaxis. They had to do a cut down to get a vein that hadn't collapsed to get an IV into her, and she spent a day in ICU and a day on the ward before she was stable enough to go home. She had never shown a reaction to that antibiotic before (exposure came from eating meat raised on antibiotics).

It's a very serious matter if Deerwhacker is allergic to okra.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.