-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a cab height Leer on my Dodge.It sits under my boat loader rack.It's really handy for travelling,packs alot of stuff out of the weather and prying eyes. While the flat sliding windows are cheap and easy to have replaced ,they break. If they are not latched,how do you move them with the dust?,they will slide open. When you close them,if there is a small rock in the slot for the window,you get point loading,and a shatter.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 05/01/11.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Quite often my wife and I will take a trip to visit our kids on the coast. It's a hard 12 hrs from here. My pickup has a slide in liner and a high topper. We'll put some cross boards in the bedliner slots over our luggage, top it with plywood, and throw in an airbed and sleeping bags. We can start out after work and stop along the road to sleep half way there. It gets us there 1/2 day earlier and a lot less tired.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've put shells on the last four trucks. Here is what I've done with the newest.
[Linked Image]
The shell is just cab high but has enough room for what I use it for.
[Linked Image]
I have built two drawer units that I bolt together and put a top on. If anyone takes a quick look inside all they see is carpet.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have the drawers set up for long guns and plenty of gear. The drawers can be set up differently by unscrewing and moving the dividers. The unit is setup to allow a large dog crate to fit between the top of the drawers and the shell opening. I can fit two dog crates towards the tailgate and a couple of coolers behind them towards the cab.
[Linked Image]
Bob

Last edited by willhunt4; 05/08/11.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My last topper is a Leer cab heigth on the Toyota.My biggest complaint is that the flashing that laps over the tailgate was only attched with double sided tape.When it gets warm,the flashing comes off.
After having it replaced three times by the dealer,I finally got a piece of the foam tube insulation used on water pipes.I used the 1/2" size, and then used contact cement to glue it on the bottom of the glass. Then I ran apiece of 1/2" foam insulation strip like you use on door a jams across the top of the tailgate. So far ithas lasted three years.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by willhunt4
I've put shells on the last four trucks. Here is what I've done with the newest.
[Linked Image]
The shell is just cab high but has enough room for what I use it for.
[Linked Image]
I have built two drawer units that I bolt together and put a top on. If anyone takes a quick look inside all they see is carpet.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have the drawers set up for long guns and plenty of gear. The drawers can be set up differently by unscrewing and moving the dividers. The unit is setup to allow a large dog crate to fit between the top of the drawers and the shell opening. I can fit two dog crates towards the tailgate and a couple of coolers behind them towards the cab.
[Linked Image]
Bob

I don't like toppers generally but that is a nice setup!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I once saw a similar setup with the drawers but with an addition. They had a slideout platform on top of the drawer units that would come back about 1/2 way so you didn't have to crawl in to get stuff. It's deficiency was that they'd made it the size of a single sheet of plywood so it wasted all the space on both sides. It could have been at least a foot wider.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It was a balancing act to get everything the way I wanted.
To be able to get scoped rifles in soft cases to fit in the drawers and still have enough room to fit a large size dog crate between the top of the deck and the shell takes a bit of planning. It would be much easier if I bought a taller shell but I don't care for how they look.
Before I started making the drawer units I thought about just buying a ready made unit from Truck Vault Company but I just couldn't get myself to spend 2K and end up with plastic on the corners of the drawers instead of the drawer glides that I use.

Last edited by willhunt4; 05/10/11.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have to have one on my truck for hunting season, with all the stuff I haul on my trips. Also during the summer I can leave items in the back of the truck in the dry. Only cons are the issue with hauling taller items and reduced visibility. When I have to haul something that will not fit I just hook up to the trailer and haul it. The pros out weigh the cons.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've never considered a camper to be a visibility problem, but I've done a lot of truck driving so I'm more familiar with mirrors than many drivers. A curved mirror on the right front fender aids greatly in visibility but they're soooo danged ugly.

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.