24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good to know. I'm itchin' to spin some down my 7wsm. I will say there have been a few pics of the 162's on deer where the meat loss looked unacceptable to me (shoulder shots)... I'd be trying to keep them out of the meat, myself.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like them down now, and that means breaking bone. Armpit shots send them running the mad dash. I will always sacrifice meat loss for a dead on the spot critter and a punched tag wink Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Flinch
I like them down now, and that means breaking bone. Armpit shots send them running the mad dash. I will always sacrifice meat loss for a dead on the spot critter and a punched tag wink Flinch

I agree with this... smile which is maybe why I have not experienced Flinch's difficulties with Partitions,as I aim for bone coming and/or going,generally,and which has given good results with little if any chasing.

But I can see it happening here and there with soft tissue hits through ribs and lungs maybe due to smaller frontal area after initial expansion.

When I want everything scrambled beyond recognition(never a bad thing wink
Bitterroots at high velocity have given early expansion to wide frontal area,yet handle shoulders easily to the off side. Damage is pretty dramatic,in some cases not much is recognizable. shocked

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/28/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
I load for myself and hunting partner in Colorado the Sierra 160 HPBT with 65.0 grs. of H4831, Rem. brass, 215M primer in our 7mags. No issues with them just dead critters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do luv that 160 Sierra HPBT! Used it a fair bit in my Mashburn Super, it plants them right now!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wife and I have shot some very impressive groups using the 7mm mag and those Sierra 160 grn BT bullets. Neither of us have ever shot any big game with them, mostly used those Nosler Partitions in the 160 grain, not as accurate but never had any complaints on penetration etc.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Godogs57
My elk hunting partner was a die hard Sierra cup and draw man up till the point we watched him pop a nice 6x6 seven times in the heart lung area with Sierra Game Kings....seven shots, seven seperated cores.....we were very lucky that evening....it eventually dropped after some tense moments.

Whatever your choice in bullets are for elk...just make sure they are capable of doing the job 100% of the time...not just when the shot is 'perfect'.

it's hell even finding a hog with those.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ravenr
i've killed the with
speers
sierras
nosler partions
nosler ballistic tips
etc,etc,etc
they all work if you hit them in the right place....
yea, if they dont come apart.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Klik--good call on the 190 Horn, I really likey that bullet! Ingwe turned me onto to it many moons ago and I could easily use it for all that I'd use a 30 for.

Dober
i've seen hornady interlocks in 270 cal penetrate from front to back and back to front in deer (4 ft) and through big bull elk. to hell with the power shocks, game kings, shockwave imo. nbt is only ok for big deer. dr rc

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Klik--good call on the 190 Horn, I really likey that bullet! Ingwe turned me onto to it many moons ago and I could easily use it for all that I'd use a 30 for.

Dober
i've seen hornady interlocks in 270 cal penetrate from front to back and back to front in deer (4 ft) and through big bull elk. to hell with the power shocks, game kings, shockwave imo. nbt is only ok for big deer. dr rc
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
dtspoke,

I have seen at least a couple of spikes do the same thing when hit in the same place, just stand there with a 1000-yard stare for at least 10-15 seconds before keeling over. But they were shot with premiums, the 140 TSX and 150 Nosler Partition....
sounds like a heart shot.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by colorado
Elk are not that tough. My son dropped one running at 150 yards with Rem 130g Core Lokt factory ammo out of my 270 this winter. If you want to shoot a "non-premium" bullet both for practice and hunting in a 7mm Mag, my recommendation would be the 175g Rem Core Lokt Pointed Soft Point. It will do the job, period and you can buy them in bulk.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=1601340182

Regards,

Chuck
where was the hit? did he break its back?

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Flinch
I have seen a couple of elk spoil with snow on the ground. The hunters didn't hang them or open up the rib cage with a stick, so the air could get to them. Their thick coat is like wearing a parka. It just doesn't let the heat out. You gotta get elk cooled out quick.

I had a small spike spoil over night a few years ago. I shot him perfectly through the shoulder broad side right before dark. I gave him a few minutes and went over to where he went down. He jumped up and bailed off into a hell hole. I couldn't believe it. The bow shot was right in the heart area. I bumped him two more times as he went further and further into the hell hole. It was about 45 degrees, with a good canyon breeze blowing. I figured I would let him set over night and die. I went back the next morning and he was dead 10 feet from where I stopped tracking him. He was completely spoiled. The broadhead had somehow slipped right between the heart and lungs and didn't touch either organ. It clipped a small blood vessel and that is what killed him. Pretty strange that the head missed the organs. I have never had that happen before. I have made that shot countless times, with perfect results every time.

Oh, and there was a bear sitting on that bull when we found it. He didn't want to give it up, but sat in the brush popping his teeth. He watched us cut it up from about 50 yards away. I checked all the large muscle groups and they were all very sour and warm. Bummer, because young elk are fabulous table fare. Flinch
Flinch, i shot a smallish wt buck after light in snow, gutted it and went hunting. picked it up at dark and went to camp. ate dinner, hung and skinned deer. steam came off the hams after laying in snow gutted all day.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Well after messing with the 160 Accubond and 162 BTSP Hornady and RE22, RE19, IMR4350 and H1000 the winner is!

The 160 Accubond and either RE19 or RE22. RE19 gets me within spitting distance of 3000fps and RE22 goes by it a tick.

The Accubond shot well with every powder I tried. The Hornady did almost as well.

The rifle shoots 140 Accubond, 150 BT and Hornady 139SP good as well. I think I have a rilfe that is not picky for a change!

I am still going to mess with some other bullets sometime, can't help it now that I know it shoots. It shoots most loads near 1 MOA +or- a little.

Load development took longer than it needed to due to a problem with the rifles chamber. I had sticky to nearly needing to beat the bolt open extraction from the get go with loads whether max or starting.
I cleaned the chamber and tried two factory loads. they both gave extraction problems.

I took the rifle back to the place I bought it since they give a 30 day warranty and they polished the chamber. It had rust in it.
Yes stainless steel does rust.

The rifle works great now. The thought of it going into Ruger and getting re-barreled did not appeal to me because the gun shot good the way it was.

FYI I tried Hornady Superformance 139SST. It gave me 3220fps
Winchester 175 Power Point went 2920fps

Thanks for the help and input on this.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.