Print Thread
Hop To
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Im a pretty avid predator caller and im wanting to run up to Georgia this fall and try my hand at calling bears. Anybody got any experience to share?

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've called a lot of them in. Best advice I can give you is that it is a LOT easier to call to a bear you can see to bring him closer than to call blind and hope one hears you.

With bears, unless they are being territorial or something, they quit coming as soon as you quit calling. I have watched them come across a canyon and when I would stop blowing, they would hold up.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know several guys that have called them in by accident
when hunting foxes at night. They tell me it is very startling
to shine your light on a black bear when your not expecting
to see one.

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks dennisinaz that's good advice. We blind call for all other predators down here but I've never tried it around bears. What calls/sounds work best for you?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
pdk: dennis is spot on..Ive called a few...you might not have a choice but to call blind...but they usually do stop right away when you get off the call....I highly reccomend Wayne Carltons call and DVD " Callin Bears" the ONLY product from bubbavision that works EXACTLY as depicted....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Ive got the dvd. Im pro wayne carlton for sure. You've gotta have stones to mace bears like he did. Y'all use regular rabbit distress calls or fawn bleats?

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
WTH is wrong with "bubbavision" by the way.. they're so cool they sent me a buttstock cartridge holder when I bought two videos for 9.95 smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Do you "camo up" before you sit in a box blind...?

Please say No.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Ive got the dvd. Im pro wayne carlton for sure. You've gotta have stones to mace bears like he did. Y'all use regular rabbit distress calls or fawn bleats?

I blow his bear call exactly as instructed....and it don't sound like anything you ever heard....

Another good bet here..not so much there, is a calf elk " Mom...I'm lost..." call

I called in a sow one evening that had cubs...right on schedule she put them up a tree and right on schedule, I quit blowing the call.

She, however, had not seen the DVD and didn't know she was supposed to stop.. eek

It got REAL " Western" out there for awhile.... shocked

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I don't have his bear call. Ill look into one of those. Hunting the thick stuff we call totes and cats in it gets real western... The short barreled 870 turkey gun comes in handy.

IC B3

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
Do you "camo up" before you sit in a box blind...?

Please say No.....
Its awful hard to catch me in camo when not hunting turkeys or yotes. And you sure as hell wont catch me in a box blind.

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
So my butt stock shell holder is not innovative and fashionable?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Thanks dennisinaz that's good advice. We blind call for all other predators down here but I've never tried it around bears. What calls/sounds work best for you?

I have called more with rabbit distress than anything but it calls too many foxes too. I have switched to fawn or cub sounds- less foxes that way.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A friend locally is surprised to find out how both bears and cougars will respond to a turkey call...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 34 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,848
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.