Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Picked this up on Gunbroker.
#3 Shiloh 45-70 30 inch heavy barrel. Got to shoot it a little yesterday, and it doesn't seem to be picky about what it gets fed. Patched loads with KIK 2 and 1.5 and naked bullets with 2f, they all just landed one on top the other at 200 yds.
Lordy it's nice to have a rifle that'll do that again.
[Linked Image]

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congratulations on your new acquisition, and promising early results!

Soon to arrive here is a new-to-me Browning .45-70, similar to the one in a recent thread here.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Paul
If that rifle you have coming is anything like the Winchester we got for Carol you're really going to like it. The chamber on hers is just as tight as a Shiloh, so load for yours like you would for your Sharps and standby to scratch your head and wonder why you never thought to get one earlier..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hard to go wrong with Shiloh.....wonderful rifles...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
YUp

www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ranch, I'm hoping my Browning will be as accurate as some. Having a tight chamber in a production rifle is largely a product of the lifespan of the reamer, and if you catch it after it's been sharpened a time or two, you may get a minimum chamber. At least that's my understanding.

The short version behind my getting the Browning is ergonomics, and facing up to my age and being a lefty. Much as I like my Shiloh, I have had difficulties shooting my best with it due to the cast-off in the stock and the feel of the grip. I like my Browning .40-82 better in that regard.

I am going to give paper patching a serious shot with this rifle, with the guidance of the experience of others. I have a BA mould, and plan to try some of Brent's bullets as well. He sure packs a bunch of powder in his .45-70, over 80 grs. of 1.5, with the bullets seated only about .10". Pete loads about 77 grs. in his .45-90. Brent seems to be getting great results with his, but his chamber is custom designed for PPs. Although shooting will tell, it is interesting that the Browning .45-70s have no leade to speak of, so that may be a plus for PPs. Here's hoping anyhow.

I don't have my .22 low wall just now. It's back at the gunsmith. Another tale of woe that I won't go into just now. frown

Paul

Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Paul I haven't shot Carols rifle alot with patched bullets, but it got along fine with .444 bullets patched to 450 and loaded over 72 grs of 2f Goex express.
I think it's best to stick with the more traditional styled patched bullets than some of the pointier designs.

www.historicshooting.com
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just got an e-mail from the dealer that my Browning will be shipped on Monday.

I won't get to shoot it for awhile both because of other commitments, and because I have to wait for the front sight.

One of my Hokes will be going on the rear. The .40-82 is pretty much dedicated for the scope now.

Paul

Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well hopefully you've got it ready to run at Alliance.

www.historicshooting.com
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's the plan!

Too bad they decided to eliminate the .22 and other Friday side matches at the Sagebrush, but I understand the reasoning. If I run the Browning there, I'll need Friday to get sight settings anyhow.

Paul

IC B3

Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yup I like those 22 matches, but dang that 1000 yd offhand ought to be a real hoot.

www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Patched loads with KIK 2 and 1.5 and naked bullets with 2f, they all just landed one on top the other at 200 yds.

How much compression are you using on the naked bullets?

Thanks

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It'a about a 1/2 inch from the case mouth. Using enough to get the bullet seated to the driving band.

www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks.

Tried some the other day and was getting vertical stringing at 200m. 4-5" vertical, 1-1.5" horizontal. That was with .190 - .260 compression. Next will try more powder keeping seating depth the same.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm using 70 grs with the greasers, and 72 grs with the patched.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don,.....did you check out the transfer bar and pin on "Old Ugly" ?

Curious, as to why it soured like that....

Best regards,

Greg

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Greg yup broke it down and the firing pin was fine and the transfer bar is fine.
I think it just comes down to the butt on that rifle really doesn't fit me like I'ld like, and it almost takes an act of god to get the thing to lay down in the sticks and stay put with that round barrel.

www.historicshooting.com
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice, Ranch...I'm going to have to get me one of them long guns.Always wanted one.

Jayco

Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
laugh Jayco they're a real blast grin

www.historicshooting.com
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Got my new-to-me Browning .45-70 yesterday. Sure looks nice, hardly used.

Got the sights mounted today and did some messing around with brass dimensions, etc. Looks like it's gonna work. Now I'm itching it get some range time.

Made up a couple of rounds with two different paper patch bullets. Seemed to chamber nice and smooth. 82 grains of Swiss 1.5 should zip them out right smartly. My goal and hope is that I can make this rifle work out to 1000 yards.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.