Print Thread
Hop To
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have the original book, but its just maintenance and use mostly.

All of a sudden both of my front tires start wobbling really bad at decent speed. High range 1st is ok, but above that they get crazy.

I can't really tell any slack in the tie rods... but maybe a hair up where the pump is.

I may be a bit low on fluid which I'll check in the AM. But did just read the book, grandpa is dead a long time and he always just told us to use hydraulic fluid in the PS pump. Finally cleaning out his stuff from a cabinet last year, I find the book, and read it today looking for help and it says Type A auto tranny fluid...

Thanks for any input, I"m off to be best man in my nephews wedding in a bit so wont' get to read/respond till Sunday.

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a Massey 150 and type A is what it uses too. I get it at the dollar store. Turn the wheels all the way to the left and fill up the reservoir. I've never had that happen but if the tie rod ends are good, that is most likely the problem. I just overhauled the hydraulic pump on mine and am putting it back together. All I lack is tightening up a couple of bolts and filling it up, then see if it works. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You most likely will need to turn the wheels to the right on the 165. I was just checking my book and it says that the cylinder is reversed from the 150. It also says that shimmy could be caused by an improperly adjusted sensitivity screw or wear in steering linkage. miles

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
There is a screw back end of that hydraulic cylinder. It has play in it but I have no idea if its something that needs to be touched or what to do to do it right....

Will check levels in the AM and maybe mess with that screw if I have time.

Have 5 post holes to dig but that could be done without driving the tractor at morethan idle speed....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here is a scan out of my book that may help. If you need anything else scanned just holler. miles

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
that might tell me all I need to know. I'll let you know once i've had a chance to try it.
THANKS.

Were did you get a book thats detailed like that?

I need the right brake worked on.... and the diff lock is horribly stiff..... and the diesel fuel pump has a minor drip when it sits..... I could do a lot of that if I had a clue where to get a repair manual..

Thanks< Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I ordered it from somewhere and I don't recall. I will look at a couple of places and see if I can find it. miles

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here is a link to one but you might find it cheaper elsewhere. The one I have is the middle one. miles

shop manual

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here is one cheaper at Amazon. Tractor Supply has them too. miles

Manual #2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a 165 at one time, you might toe it in just a touch and see if that stops the problem if the fluid doesn't. It really doesn't matter much what you use as long as it ALL you use. You can drain/flush and just use 20 wt hydro oil but it is better not to mix ATF and Hydro.

A couple of the bigger construction outfits here use NOTHING but 10X40 oil in EVERYTHING. They use it in hyraulics, PS, engine crankcases and auto trannies on heavy equipment. They feel that it is better than having someone add the wrong stuff...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Miles

Got it back to basically normal. Will order a book too just in case.

The book scan isn't like my tractor, but kinda grabbing the same setup sidewasy so to speak. I managed to reset most things and it seems ok so far. One thing seemed so far out of whack I didn't get that far, but tried the opposite end and it locked up the steering at max turn so I went ahead and just crept it back out till it worked and that was that.

Dennis

Appreciate the input. Actually part of the issue was probably low on fluid, not that simple to check, but I went with ATF this time, probably a mistake, but will drain it all soon enough and replace, though I finally saw waht I think is a leak around a seal so may be time to grab the whole unit out and see if I can tear it apart in the coming weeks. Just have to get some holes drilled first around the place.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The book scan isn't like my tractor

The book covers 135,150 and 165 for several years and I see a lot of things that are not exactly like mine too. It is still a big help. If you need anything else scanned until you get a book, just let me know. miles

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a 175 MF and I had the same problem when I bought it.I rebuilt the front end and still got the shakes sometimes when not hooked up to anything.
I bought a universal steering dampener at the auto parts store and it went away even when roading the thing.
If you need parts I get mine from Eagle tractor parts,I have replaced the injection pump as well as the power steering pump.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just had my pumps rebuilt by Superior pump when they went bad. They did an awesome job. Had the 165 and a Super 90. Both are gone now!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Will check Eagle parts! Gotta print this thread on Monday....

I'll have to google superior... I"m assuming both hydraulic and fuel pumps possibly?

The 165 just keeps going.... 36 inch plus water oak had a huge limb fall on it.... and got the fuel tank, hood, fenders etc.... I have found a few old parts but not all... it looks ragged but works like a champ.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a MF 165. It's in about 50 pieces. Best thing I ever did was take it all apart. That's the day I stopped spending money on the damn thing.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Want to sell parts? Cheap enough I might buy the whole thing....

We've had this one as second hand since the early 80s. Never really missed a beat. NOthing major other than a hydro problem once.....

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll do an inventory next time I'm down where it is and give you a call if you shoot me a PM with your number.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.