Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wbyfan1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry for such a rookie question, but I plan to go to the range in the morn and the forecast is for overcast cloud ceilings in the 2000 foot range and 5-10 miles of visibility. I have never used my chrony in any condition but bright sunshine. Seems I read they tend to have problems in low light conditions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I used mine today without any problems. It was solid overcast. My Chrony Beta Master worked with and without the diffusers.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cloudy days are actually brighter to the sensor then a blue bird afternoon.
The clouds act as the defusers do and give a nice white even back ground to show the bullet against. Blue skys are dark and the bullet can blend in if the sun is at the wrong angle. I prefer clouds to sun anytime I`m clocking loads

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
I prefer clouds to sun anytime I`m clocking loads

Me too!

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree with Joe. Cloudy, overcast days are better for chrono work.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If I had to wait for sunshine, I'd only get to use my crony a couple of times a year.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There's a reason copying machine backgrounds are white....it's easier to pick up images. Same for chrono's.

W
wbyfan1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks guys!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dissenting vote here.

On the Chrony, if you leave the diffusers in place you absolutely will get low readings under cloudy conditions.

I can't say what the situation is without the diffusers.

However, there is cloud cover and there is cloud cover. Thin clouds are one thing, cumulus another, and heavy overcast yet another. So without the diffusers lighting conditions are not uniform. The sun, on the other hand, is pretty constant.

I do all my chronographing from about 10:00 to 3:00 (later in summertime) on days when the Chrony and tripod cast a distinct shadow.

Be not weary in well doing.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
And my Chrony was just the opposite. If the sun was directly hitting the sensors, it was very unreliable. I do not think I ever found the conditions perfect so that the diffusers actually shaded the sensors.

But if I hung a sheet of 4 foot by 4 foot cardboard on the south side of the Chrony and shaded the sensors from the direct sun, it worked very well. And it always worked well on lightly over cast days. You know the type of day where you can not see the sun, but if you are not careful, you will get a really bad sunburn.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I used to get readings that were different depending on the weather(sunny or cloudy). Tried bigger diffusers and shading apparatus with mixed results, then read an article by J.B. on chrony's and he suggested putting a piece of cellophane tape over each sensor. I did that, threw away the diffusers and have had consistant readings ever since no matter what the weather, I just use the rods for line of sight. The article was 3-5 yrs ago I think, mabye some one here will have a link to it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by southpawhunter
I agree with Joe. Cloudy, overcast days are better for chrono work.

Yep. I find my chrony reads artificially high in the bright sun

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mod7rem, I remember that article and did the same with the tape. Kept the diffusers tho, but JB's tape idea works.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I tried the tape thing and it seemed to work for a while. Then it seemed like the chrono didn't work well with them at all. Not sure if my tape got old or what.
Right now my "diffusers" are made from the plastic from a cat litter container. (approx 2 gal. jug) They are kind of a greyish white. I cut strips and attach them from rod to rod with some small spring loaded "v" clamps. It looks like a hillbilly rig but reads consistant all the time.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is there an easy way to calibrate or even find out if your chrony is accurate? I don't know if my Beta master Chrony is reading high or low. Seems some get higher reading with their meters.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've yet to find a weather/lighting condition to cause my Oehler 35P to not read a velocity.

Alan

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Sorry for such a rookie question, but I plan to go to the range in the morn and the forecast is for overcast cloud ceilings in the 2000 foot range and 5-10 miles of visibility. I have never used my chrony in any condition but bright sunshine. Seems I read they tend to have problems in low light conditions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Oehler M35 and CED M2's don't care too much what the sky is like as long as it is, well, light enough to see the bull. After that, others become more sporty.......

Of course, my old Custom Chronograph would read the shot in a pitch black room.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
Is there an easy way to calibrate or even find out if your chrony is accurate? I don't know if my Beta master Chrony is reading high or low. Seems some get higher reading with their meters.

Compare it to a M35 or M2.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My present Chrony (my 3rd) only reads accurately on cloudy days, and is consistent with any kind of cloudy light.
I know this because I've compared it to the readings from my Oehler, which as alpinecrick suggests, really don't care about light much. (Though even Ken Oehler has suggested that bright sun is the enemy of any light-screen chronograph).

My first chronograph was a Custom Chronograph, and it was dead-on reliable.

By the way, the tape trick didn't work very well on this Chrony, though it has on others.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a Pact Model 1 and the only way I can get any readings is to set it up in bright sunlight so the shadow of the diffusers falls directly on the sensor. This sometimes forces me to hammer bullets into the sand in front of the firing line because the range faces south. Good thing it's private and has high berms for safety or I couldn't even use the chrono.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 63 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.