Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

He is wet on lower body but the long hair is gone exposing the slightly brown underfur on his rump, sides and legs, and he has sort of a Mohawk step down in hair length about the middle of his back. Unusual to be rubbed so badly this early.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for sharing!

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for that, I was never quite sure what rubbed meant. The only bear I have seen in the wild was 40 yds from the truck in the dark. crazy

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The time I hunted bears in Alberta, I had a couple come in with bare skin showing. it was very obvious of the rubbing. This is more subtle. Cool pics for sure.

Salmonhead
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That doesn't look right at all. I haven't seen one rubbed so "uniformly" around the rump and tail, yet have a nice mohawk. He looks healthy, so mange would be ruled out. Maybe he just had a major itch laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a southeast alaska bear to me.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flinch
That doesn't look right at all. I haven't seen one rubbed so "uniformly" around the rump and tail, yet have a nice mohawk. He looks healthy, so mange would be ruled out. Maybe he just had a major itch laugh Flinch

I had the same thought, particularly about maybe having an itch! (or a pain that kept him rolling around during hibernation to try to get comfortable). The worst rubbed bear I ever saw had a broken wrist that had never healed, and evidently he tossed and turned all winter due to pain during hibernation and had rubbed bald spots by the time he came out on the snow in spring. He was big, but not much for hair. A friend killed him when he saw that the bear was injured and grouchy.

Big Sky: Coastal B.C.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Flinch

The nice, even rub is the preferred pattern for a trophy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guess your internet name should have tipped me off. Feeling kind'a dumb. I did figure that is was either S.E. Alaska or B.C. they just look different there. From what I've read there is some kind of parasite that causes a lot of that hair damage. Looks like rubbing but is actually parasite damage which would explain why some bears appear to come out the den rubbed.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Sky
Guess your internet name should have tipped me off. Feeling kind'a dumb. I did figure that is was either S.E. Alaska or B.C. they just look different there. From what I've read there is some kind of parasite that causes a lot of that hair damage. Looks like rubbing but is actually parasite damage which would explain why some bears appear to come out the den rubbed.

Hadn't heard of the parasite but as you say, it explains some things.

I helped skin a grizzly once that had little patches or tufts cut from the fur by mice while he had hibernated. That's what I was told, and it sure looked like that. Either a mouse or a mini-elf with scissors. Golf and tennis ball size patches of fur cut neatly about half to 3/4 way down to the hide.

Last edited by Okanagan; 05/25/11.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
However that bear lost his hair one thing is for sure. He is one UGLY bear!

Is it Friday yet?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

615 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,449
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.