Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeneB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
This is what kept my attention away from most everything else at the shows last weekend, I was very tempted to shoot it but chickened out and all I did do was to run some dummy rounds through it - functions great, drops the ejected round right in front of your feet.
[Linked Image]

It can be stripped for cleanning without tools
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gene
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
School me on this Gene. What model is this?

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll guess a limited run Savage from the 20's???

Looks like you have found another little known piece of history! Can't wait to hear more about it. smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
That is right slick.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
GeneB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
It's from the R&D collection, bottom eject and as you can see a really unique design inside. I am still researching but I know I have never seen patents and believe there may never had been any, there might be a letter reguarding it being R&D that the previous owner will send me if he finds it. I see similarities in some of the external features with the Model 1914 and with the Model 25 so I would think it has to date, like Rick thought, from early to mid 20's.

I have seen some of the other rifles from the R&D collection and was not impressed with the finished quality of them - when I first saw this one it was a different story, as the pictures show. (The previous owner could see I wanted it and also knew very well what he had so I came home happy but broke)

I also have always been facinated with how things work...so of course I had to take it apart...and even though I don't shoot much any more this one is so unique I don't know if I will be able to resist the temptation.

I don't know what the number on the butt plate means but it seem to high to have been a serial number and taken from another gun.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gene

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gene,

Very nice, very unique and very interesting! Quite an addition to you rim fire collection!

Blair

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great find and buy, Gene! Very cool.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Gene.

That is a very interesting pump. Looking at it briefly it looks like it could have been designed by Carl G. Swebilius. I know he designed for Marlin and High Standard, but the design of the parts sure do look like it came from his mind. You know, why design one part when three parts will do the same. Keep us posted on your research.

Pact

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Gene, I'm not a lefty and I like it! Congrats on a great gun. Thanks for sharing.

tjw

Wanted: Nice Fox Shotguns, SP(E) Skeet & Upland game a specialty. Looking for Savage Posters/Calendars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool Gene. A one of a kind, yes?

The takedown screw looks like it is the only barrel retaining device?

I kept looking for the ejection port and then thought, neat an Ithaca pump 22.

The butt stock looks like it is off a housebrand, the forend could be a 1914 or early 25.

Is the little pin in front of the triggerguard the action release?

Thank you for sharing this find. to echo pact, let us know what you find out down the road.

Last edited by steve99; 05/25/11. Reason: sp

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think the rifle is stunning. And for a guy who collects this specific genre, Gene, you must feel you hit a real home run. Congratulations!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Interesting lifter mechanism. What is used for the cartridge stop Gene? Looks like there is a flapper kind of piece under the barrel.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice find,Gene. I had a 1912 once w/threaded bbl and knurled cap....the Maxim was in the original shipping tube with original shipping label...addressed to Hague,NY.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
very nice find Gene
norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

GeneB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have been after this rifle for a couple years � even bought a couple other guns from him a while ago when he said he was �selling up to this one�. He still did not seem real enthusiastic about selling so I was not in a good bargaining position. This was at the CADA show and luckily Stever was over looking a Burgess shotgun or something or the other���.

A friend and I took the side plate off and then put the barrel & magazine back on and cycled some dummy rounds through it. This is a really unique action! It will only work with a rimmed cartridge. It also has quite a long pump stroke for a 22 - 1.812" compared to 1.75" for a 1903 and 1.562" for 25's and 29's. (all approximate dim.s). It�s not long enough that you would really notice though.

If you had seen the action work the following would make complete sense � hopefully it still makes some with just having the pictures -

There are two cartridge stops � one on the frame that allows a cartridge out of the magazine and one on the carrier that keeps the cartridge to be loaded toward the front of the carrier. The bottom of the carrier has a slot in it that goes almost to the front � the front part of this slot is not wide enough for the rim to pass through so the cartridge to be loaded rests on the rim with the bullet resting on the small area in front that is not slotted; the cartridge has to be long enough to bridge this distance, shorts are held by only about 1/16� of the bullet so this gun would probably not feed CB�s - they would probably flip bullet down in the carrier, go off as the action were closed, and take off one of your toes.

The bolt goes through the carrier, which is bored with minimum clearance for it � the bolt pushes the stop on the carrier out of the way as the cartridge is chambered and keeps it out of the way during extraction so that the round can go back past the loading position to where the slot is sized to pass the cartridge. The spring-loaded bar mounted to the top inside of the receiver then ejects the round down.

When the breech bolt is fully rearward there is a notch in the frame for the locking lug that allows it to rotate more which reveals more of the slot milled in it, this allows the slide arm to continue rearward (note the straight part of the slot in the breech bolt) � it�s in this movement that the carrier is dropped to pick up another cartridge. On closing the action the carrier is then fully raised again before the bolt moves forward.

The pin in front of the trigger quard is the action release and the hammer can be dropped as the action closes by pulling the trigger with the action open to the point that the breech block is fully retracted.

The previous owner never even cycled a single round through it so I bought it not knowing if it really worked! I could see that it had been shot though so I knew it had worked at one time.

Gene

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Gene, got the gist of it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would you be willing to fire Colibris through it? I figure those are low-powered enough to be safe.

Semi-related, my brother-in-law hipped me to using #6 drywall anchors as snap caps. The only catch is that they really don't feed all that well. However, they fed just fine through my Savage 1914.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 84 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,939
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.