Print Thread
Hop To
N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
For simplicity lets say its an average eastern Canadian bull moose.

How many 100qt coolers to hold it boned out? Cut and Wrapped?

I am trying to figure what I will need to have prepared.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The boned meat from a big animal usually runs around 1/3 of live weight. With a 1000-pound moose that means something over 300 pounds.

I've gotten 130 pounds of boned meat into a 120-quarter cooler, but that was unfrozen meat, not cut and wrapped. My guess is that you'll need at least three coolers and maybe four, depending on which way the meat goes in 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I will have about an 8 hr drive home. Think I will be ok with something like a Coleman extreme 120's? I see they are $60 at wally world.. 3 would still be fairly reasonable. (I have an older 100qt thats served well for deer and coupled with a pair of smaller ones ahs worked on my elk trips. I am hesitant to invest too much into them as I might shoot a moose 2-3 three more times in my life.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Those should work fine.

I once got a moose in northern British Columbia, a 2-day drive from my home in southwestern Montana. In addition to a 120-quarter Igloo, I still had some waxed boxes with Styrofoam panels that a fishing lodge in Alaska had used to pack my frozen fish for the flight home. I took those too, and was able to fit the moose meat in the cooler and boxes.

It was mid-September, and plenty warm for most of the drive. I just made sure there always plenty of ice on the meat, and it made it home in fine shape.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I brought a moose back from BC a few years ago in two large coleman coolers. Seems like they were 144 quart, but maybe they are 120. That was cut and wrapped front and back legs and one backstrap. We ate the tenderloins and other backstrap in camp.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I bring mine home whole in the back of my truck with the hide still on it, and hang it in a cool garage for a week, but I usually shoot my moose less than 30 miles from home. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Since the moose hunt, my cousin and I have bought a small chest freezer so we don't have to worry about the meat. It fits easily in the back of a truck or small trailer.

Besides, I needed to replace both coolers as my wife lost one out of the back of the truck and ran over the other. Running over such a large cooler took some work, but she was up to the task. smile

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I bring mine home whole in the back of my truck with the hide still on it, and hang it in a cool garage for a week, but I usually shoot my moose less than 30 miles from home. grin

Some guys have all the fun...

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
my wife lost one out of the back of the truck and ran over the other. Running over such a large cooler took some work, but she was up to the task. smile

hahahahaha... I can only imagine...

Andrew
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
kodiak - great post! levity is always a good thing on the fire. thanks...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to talk you out of using coleman coolers, but if getting your moose de-boned and butchered turns out for whatever reason to not work out as planned - I'd be tempted to look into building one big crate type box out of plywood/2x4s and line it with styrofoam. A standard 40" x 48" pallet would be a good base, just nail on some sides and a top. 4 "on the bone" quarters will easily fit inside, along with the rest of the meat. Would just need to bag the ice blocks so water doesnt get on the meat. Just throwing this out there.

For size reference here are a few pics from a few of last years clients. All are Alaskan bulls

40x48 standard pallet
[Linked Image]

This cooler I am guessing to be 60 qt (?)
[Linked Image]

I'm not sure of the size of these totes, but all 5 are full of boned out meat.
[Linked Image]

The pallet with the boxes with green stickers is 2 bull moose all boned out meat. 40" x 48" and about 36 inches high.
[Linked Image]

These boxes contain the de-boned meat of one bull, although obscured by the antlers. For size reference that is a 64" rack.
[Linked Image]

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd get a few half totes. $500 each, but you can' break them. One of those "once in a lifetime" expenses. They hold ice really well too, as well as serving for a dry place to store lots of gear, when not being used to ice meat. I use mine for commercial fishing, camping, hunting, etc.. and they can't be topped.

http://www.dacocorp.com/insulated-containers-cu.ft.-small-sized-c-10_134_225-l-en.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We take 2 freezers and a small generator. 5 deboned moose will fit in the freezers. 24 hour drive.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can find boning knives all day long... How come I never see deboning knives?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Just sharpen and use the other side

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good answer! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
817 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 76 invisible), 3,249 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.