Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Ken, most of the rounds such as the Rem 6 BR use small rifle primers as does the specilized 22 CHeeta, What is the difference in primers that make the small rifle the prefered primer in accuracy.
<br>
<br>Has any one that you are aware of ever tried to take the 35 Rem and make a round that is similar to the PPC. I was thinking of such an excercise using the 35 necked to 6.5, shortened to the same ratio of case volume to bullet diameter as the 6mm PPC. On paper it is interesting to play such games, wish I had the ability, read cash, to really do such things.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.
<br>Jim

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The small primer is for use in a small case, usually. Even if diameter weren't an issue, the primer that can heat-up and light-off a huge charge of a coarse powder in a .378 Weatherby Magnum has a bit too much fire and fury for the "pinch of pepper" charge in a .22 Hornet. Using the small primer in some of the cases that are big enough to take a large primer is an effort to avoid overly vigorous ignition, I believe.
<br>
<br>The CHeetah is a border-line case -- the late Paul Marquart, uncredited codeveloper of the original CHeetah, showed me a CHeetah round that had misfired. Disassembly showed that the primer had only scorched the powder granules just beyond the primer vent and had packed the powder into a tight wad but hadn't ignited any. All the primer's heat had been absorbed in other ways. I don't remember any other details -- maybe the weather was too cold. At the least, the small primer in the CHeetah delivers marginal to poor performance sometimes.
<br>
<br>One of the best-known "secrets" of designing wildcat cartridges is to start with parent brass that's reasonably well available. I haven't checked lately, but my impression has long been that .35 Remington cases are pretty hard to find. At any rate, to answer your question, no, I don't know of any wildcat like the one you suggest.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Ken, thanks for the repy. as for the Remington line of cartridges that was developed for the model 8 and 14 the 35 cal. is the only one that survived, the others were the 25 and 30, Marlin still chambers it's 336 in 35 Rem and T/C contender barrels in 35 are not at all rare. In your part of the world where the brush gun is not too practicle the 35 may be scarce.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.
<br>Jim

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.