-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who was it who said that he'd have nothing to do with any bunch who'd have anything to do with the likes of him? Mark Twain? Will Rogers? Oscar Levant? Groucho Marx? (I can't remember!)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Originally Posted by M77shooter
One example of this is Rob Bell's questioning the reality of hell-to name one.

Bell out of Michigan, mentioned above, is an example of which there have been many -- a wolf in sheeps clothing, again, preaching a No-Hell gospel. Jesus mentioned hell in the NT much more often than He ever mentioned heaven for example.

Rob Bell DOES NOT deny or question the reality of Hell--only it's nature. Read the whole book and try to think about and answer his questions honestly. For further thought on the subject listen to Greg Boyd's discussions on Hell on the Woodland Hills church website.

I have not read the book but have heard from enough thoughtful, mature Christians, including John Piper of Bethlehem Baptist in Minneapolis who have read Bell and uniformly said, "goodbye", to him. And that is enough for me.

I would suggest you google, "Kevin de Jong Reviews Bob Bell", for added perspective.

I choose not to pay for a book that will put $$ in his pocket. I read the article in Time magazine about him. It might very well be true that he doesn't deny the existence of hell. However, from the quotes in the article he leans toward universalism. That is clearly not the teachings of scripture. I have read books of those whom I disagree with in the past and have probably read all of the arguments for everyone going to heaven in the end, so I doubt that Bell has anything new to add so I will not even borrow the book to read his distortion of the scriptures.

Thanks to Dr. Howell for pointing out that the church's role in giving to the poor is different from the government in that one should give voluntarily and cheerfully while the government takes forcefully.

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
Ronald Reagan

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

True. I've many times had Mormons try to tell me that James was written to non-believers telling them how to work their way to heaven. However, it was written to saved Jews telling them how to use their new saving faith in Christ to work for the Lord.

If you want to change your life read the book of James all the way through every day for a month. I have done it and recommended it to several friends who were going through dark times. It has never failed to make a change for the better.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Who was it who said that he'd have nothing to do with any bunch who'd have anything to do with the likes of him? Mark Twain? Will Rogers? Oscar Levant? Groucho Marx? (I can't remember!)

It wasn't me but the shoe fits real well.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MojoHand
One example of this is Rob Bell's questioning the reality of hell-to name one.

Bell out of Michigan, mentioned above, is an example of which there have been many -- a wolf in sheeps clothing, again, preaching a No-Hell gospel. Jesus mentioned hell in the NT much more often than He ever mentioned heaven for example.

Rob Bell DOES NOT deny or question the reality of Hell--only it's nature. Read the whole book and try to think about and answer his questions honestly. For further thought on the subject listen to Greg Boyd's discussions on Hell on the Woodland Hills church website.

I have not read the book but have heard from enough thoughtful, mature Christians, including John Piper of Bethlehem Baptist in Minneapolis who have read Bell and uniformly said, "goodbye", to him. And that is enough for me.

I would suggest you google, "Kevin de Jong Reviews Bob Bell", for added perspective.

I choose not to pay for a book that will put $$ in his pocket. I read the article in Time magazine about him. It might very well be true that he doesn't deny the existence of hell. However, from the quotes in the article he leans toward universalism. That is clearly not the teachings of scripture. I have read books of those whom I disagree with in the past and have probably read all of the arguments for everyone going to heaven in the end, so I doubt that Bell has anything new to add so I will not even borrow the book to read his distortion of the scriptures.

Thanks to Dr. Howell for pointing out that the church's role in giving to the poor is different from the government in that one should give voluntarily and cheerfully while the government takes forcefully.

I agree with you. I was responding primarily to Mojo- who seemed to agree with Bell's heterodoxy-- heresy.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Groucho Marx.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
MasterBlaster-I knew that friend. Not real computer literate and some times misfire-lol. God bless-Eddie

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
Ronald Reagan

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 48 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.