Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5259990 05/21/11
VernAK Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We always bought that good canned jam whenever in Canada but I haven't been able to find any in Whitehorse for a couple years.

Is it available any more?

Thanks

Vern

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VernAK:
Do you recall which stores in Canada carried it, or perhaps a brand name? Perhaps what kind of jam too?

Not that I'm a jam expert or anything, but I do the grocery shopping for the family most weeks and might recognize it?

All the best to you and yours this weekend VernAK.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

VernAK Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I believe the brand was Malkins.....or something close

I bought it in several different grocery stores but not sure if those Whitehorse stores are a chain operation

Thanks for your help.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yep, it is still available in some of the small tourist traps that open for fishing season and close just after hunting. Most Canucks don't eat it though. We save the best stuff for ourselves. grin laugh Just kidding!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VernAK:
I did a wee bit of digging online and it appears that what was once sold as Malkin's is now called Canada's Jam.

These folks out of Minnesota appear to be selling it online, so perhaps that's one way to get some?

http://olddutch.bobsproduce.com/Canadianjam.aspx

Hopefully that's the right stuff and was some use to you. All the best to you and yours this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vern, The Alaska Commercial and ANICA stores often carry the canned jams here in the state. Of course, AC being Winnipeg owned as it is, tends to stock Canadian stuff (and stuff their Canadian pockets) when they can. I don't mind the country of ownership, but I'm not crazy about the way it's managed, especially the micro-management that takes place so distantly. I do enjoy seeing the different brands that Canadian ownership reflects at times however.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal
VernAK:
I did a wee bit of digging online and it appears that what was once sold as Malkin's is now called Canada's Jam.

These folks out of Minnesota appear to be selling it online, so perhaps that's one way to get some?

http://olddutch.bobsproduce.com/Canadianjam.aspx

Hopefully that's the right stuff and was some use to you. All the best to you and yours this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

I don't know if it is just in our heads or real, but we don't think that the "Canada's" is exactly the same as "Malkin's" was.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
VernAK Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all!

I'll order a couple cans to see if the recipe is the same.

Vern

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago we would bring back Nabob jams. Was good stuff. Not sure if it's still made or not.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
VernAK Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
nabob is gone also....

I did some more research and found that the jam factory in Ontario was family owned and closed down a couple years ago....the recipes etc have been bought and a new plant established in Saskatchewan.....supposedly they are to use the same recipe and can labels are identical except for name....

No dealers in Whitehorse yet but there is one in Dawson City....many in L48 including the Fleet & Farm stores.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never much fancied the Malkins jams as even the Empress as found in Safeways had a higher fruit content. The cans were good for packing as opposed to the jars. I favour home made, but there is a Saskachewan company making saskatoon jam that is pretty fine stuff. Just got back from the fridge. It is all gone so I don't know the name. We bought it in Costco and it came in a quart sealer.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
VernAK Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I did a bit of research......the Saskatoon Berry Jam from Saskatchewan is made by the same company that bought Malkins and now uses the same label with the name changed to "Canada's Jam" as indicated previously.

It is usually cheaper in the US and as a test, I've asked my brother to get me some blackberry and saskatoon berry cans from Fleet & Farm and ship via Flat Rate Box. That's cheaper than flying to Kotzebue to visit Klik.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Was at a local restaurant/convenience store tonight and saw some Canada's Jam in strawberry, raspberry and blueberry. One pound cans going for $4.50 each. Large stock on hand. Fresh supply today. Only thing different than Malkins was the name on the label.

Anybody need some? laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My lament is the wonderful gooseberry jam in the large cans that you can no longer find here in Whitehorse, or anywhere else apparently. It was delicious!

Ted

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.