Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
murf205 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
John, do you or anybody else know on any rifle scope service shops know how to make a friction adjustment Leupold hold zero? I have 3 m-8 4x scopes, and every one of them will move bullet impact a LOT more than the scope I replace them with. I have sent them back to the factory so many times, we are on a first name basis( although the name they probably use for me is not too complementary, by now!) The optics are fine and I only ask that they work on a 358 BLR, which is not in the "bazooka" catagory. At first I blamed the friction adjustments, but I think the erector springs may be the culprit. I really hate to relegate thesr scopes to .22 rimfire status. I can't be the only one with this problem and it may have been covered previously, but I am a newby here.( You guys were just having too much fur) Thanks, Murf

It aint whatcha you shoot...it's how you shoot it
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by murf205
John, do you or anybody else know on any rifle scope service shops know how to make a friction adjustment Leupold hold zero? I have 3 m-8 4x scopes, and every one of them will move bullet impact a LOT more than the scope I replace them with. I have sent them back to the factory so many times, we are on a first name basis( although the name they probably use for me is not too complementary, by now!) The optics are fine and I only ask that they work on a 358 BLR, which is not in the "bazooka" catagory. At first I blamed the friction adjustments, but I think the erector springs may be the culprit. I really hate to relegate thesr scopes to .22 rimfire status. I can't be the only one with this problem and it may have been covered previously, but I am a newby here.( You guys were just having too much fur) Thanks, Murf

murf: Welcome to the CF! wink

As to your problem, I can understand having problems with one scope....but all three? After warranty work?

I have owned oodles of them, hunted continent wide with them. They rank at the top in terms of holding zero through thousands of rounds for me,and general ruggedness;frequently staying in zero for years....think I'd look somewhere else for the problem but others may have other thoughts.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'd look somewhere else for the problem but others may have other thoughts.

That was my thought exactly.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
murf205 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yeah, I was wondering about 3 of them too, but I've got a Kahles 3x9 that is my test mule scope and the wild groups and fliers dissappear when I take the Leupolds off and put the Kahles on. Every time I've sent a Leupold back to the factory, they replace the erector spring. Maybe a stiffer spring would work? One was on a 308 model 7 Rem, one went on a 700 30-06, and one on a 358 blr. None of these rifles should be that hard on a scope, and I did not shoot just a couple of groups, but gave the scope several different loads to prove(disprove) it's self. BTW, I'm no benchrest pro, but after a zillion rounds in 51 yrs of reloading and shooting,when I pull one, I know I pulled it off target, and do not blame gun or scope. There is probably more experience on this site than any other, and some of the nicest people anywhere, so I'm confident. As the show x-files, used t say--"the truth is out there" Murf205

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, if the Kahles is working in the same rings, everything the same, sounds like the Leupold's just don't work. I wonder whether you should request they put new elevation and windage adjustments on each M8?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I've had very few problems with fixed-power Leupolds over the years, including the friction-adjustment models, the reason I have so many on my hunting rifles. The adjustments may not be the most precise, but once sighted-in they stay sighted-in.

One other possibility is torquing the ring screws a little too much. Leupolds are lightweight scopes with thin tubes, and a little too much torque can cause all sorts of weird problems. I've seen this a number of times.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm not sure, but are you saying the adjustments don't move precisely when zeroing the rifle, or are you saying once zeroed, they don't stay put ? E

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wonder if the OP is getting parallax issues with the Leupolds?

Just a thought.....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
And a GOOD thought! smile

Checking scopes for parallax at various ranges will sometimes make a guy wonder if he wouldn't be better off with a Lyman 48.

Fred

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have you checked the base screws, ring screws, etc? I am assuming so.

The second thing is that you are dealing with 4x scopes, then shooting your good groups with a 3-9x. What power are you shooting the Kahles on?

My guess is that your eyes are not focusing as well as you get older, the Leupies may not be as easily focused to your eyes, and the lack of focus and resultant parallax is making you shoot mushy groups rather than having mushy scopes. It is happening to me, albeit I hope very slowly.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Royce
And a GOOD thought! smile

Checking scopes for parallax at various ranges will sometimes make a guy wonder if he wouldn't be better off with a Lyman 48.

Fred

Fred I think you and Dakota Deer are gettin' hot here!

Might be older eyes.... cry I can still hit with my 4X Leups just fine, but I do enjoy the view through a kahles a lot better!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob
I was at the range in the last few days and had a serious awakening. I like my fixed 4 power scopes, but it's just not fun to try to shoot groups at 300 yards with them to determine a drop chart and group size at that range.
I am thinking I might have to go back to what I started with, a variable that I can crank up at the range.
Sounds like you have found the Kahles to be the solution?

Fred

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fred,

Have you experimented with different targets to better suit the magnification/reticle combination you like to hunt with?

m

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would go with a non-adjustable scope base (Leupold dual dove tail), if you haven't already. If you are using the windage adjustable bases, they are the weak link in any aiming system. You can also send your scope to Leupold and have them install low mount turrets on your scopes. They have the click adjustments. Doing both (dual dove tail bases and turret adjustments by Leupold) completely fixed all "wondering" issues with my scopes.

I would also check the forend of your BLR for any points in the stock that might be pushing hard against the stock. Wooden stocks swell and shrink day and night with temperature and humidity changes. It doesn't take much movement to "shift" your point of impact. I would look somewhere else besides your scopes. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mathman
I have and have had good success with that. I am getting old and lazy and it seems to more of a PIA to have one target for my 4X, another for my 6X with heavy duplex and another for my 6x with B&C reticle. I know, I know, saying that will get me kicked out of the gun loony bin, but it's the sad facts.

Fred

M
murf205 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am shooting the Kales on 8x but the target I use for the 4x Lupy has a larger aiming point so that the sight pic is the same. I've got that part covered, now if I can just fix the "older eyes", I would gladly trade the scopes away for the lyman 48! I gotta give credit to the 4x Lups, the sight pic is crisp and clear. Mule Deer may be on to something with the too tight ring screws. I think I will re-mount one and see. I need to wait till early morning to do my shooting, cause here in central Alabama it's about 99 degrees during the day. Takes forever to get a barrel cool unless you quench with a cool pack. Gotta keep reminding myself it's spring, instead of summer!! Murf

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Murf,

One reason I mention the ring screws is that one guy I know was continually complaining about all the Leupolds he got that were "bad out of the box," because they would never hold zero, and often the groups would be erratic in size.

Then one day I discovered that he tightened ring screws like lug nuts. I loosened then ring screw on the 2.5-8x VX-III on the rifle, then re-tightened them properly, and the scope started behaving perfectly.

Rings on ANY scope (and Leupolds in particular) shouldn;t tightened much more than 20 inch-pounds. If you don't have a torque-wrench, this can be approximated by holding the screwdriver with ONLY the thumb and first two fingers of your hand.

Unless you have the grip of Hercules, this method won't exceed 20 inch-pounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Royce
Bob

Sounds like you have found the Kahles to be the solution?

Fred

Fred, no I have had some Kahles but once I got the Schmidt I decided to just go with that. I have two variable left; a 2.5-8 Leup, and the Summit.The rest are 3, 4, and 6X leupolds.

I have been shooting 300-400 yards with 4X for so long it ispretty much second nature. smile

M
murf205 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
No, I do'nt have a torque wrench that will do inch lbs, but i'll bet that I could buy one for a heckuva lot less than 3 new scopes. My first experience with fixed Leupolds was on a Ruger .270 form about 1975. It had a fixed 4x and shot 150 Noslers into about 1". I wagged that combination all over this country in a short w.b chevy that would jar your fillings loose. In 15 yrs, I never had to re-zero that rifle!! I watched from the window of the plane as a baggage ape put it on the conveyor belt crooked and it fell off from 15 or so ft and cracked my hard case. When the plane landed in Kalispel, I took it to my friends home and it was still 2" high and dead center. So I am kinda hooked on the reliability of the old fixed 4 Leupold, and I believe I will get this sorted out. Lots of good suggestions on this site. thanks Murf

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Murf,

One reason I mention the ring screws is that one guy I know was continually complaining about all the Leupolds he got that were "bad out of the box," because they would never hold zero, and often the groups would be erratic in size.

Then one day I discovered that he tightened ring screws like lug nuts. I loosened then ring screw on the 2.5-8x VX-III on the rifle, then re-tightened them properly, and the scope started behaving perfectly.

Rings on ANY scope (and Leupolds in particular) shouldn;t tightened much more than 20 inch-pounds. If you don't have a torque-wrench, this can be approximated by holding the screwdriver with ONLY the thumb and first two fingers of your hand.

Unless you have the grip of Hercules, this method won't exceed 20 inch-pounds.

It seems that I read it here, and is what I do, FWIW:

Mounting scopes in Talleys, hold the long handle of the included wrench to torque the bases and the short end to torque the rings. That approximates the correct torques? Thoughts?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,474
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.