Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by exbiologist; 06/04/11.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe a little higher than I first quoted you, but I'd be surprised if you got close to $2,000 for it.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It looks like a model M and in that caliber and depending on how much other extranious mods it might have a $2000 figure is not out of line.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
thanks, thats very close, bt a cople distinct differences...Im definitely not selling the gn after this mini crash course in Mauser History...i've fallen off-task and am purely researching out of interest now smile

Your first Amendment won't protect itself.
-me
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
this is so much fun, you guys are awesome.

-me
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Phil,
Was this a cataloged rifle?

R
RJH Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
August327,

You have an Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifle made by Mauser, not a remodeled military rifle. Commercial proof marks Crowns over BUGN. Looks like Sporting Carbine Type M pattern 720 (pg. 126 Jon Speed Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles). Serial # 118197 places it pre-war 1936-37. There were only 127,000 Commercial Mausers produced and many have been altered or destroyed. Mr Speed evaluates the Model M carbine between $1000. and $5,500. depending on condition and extras. Its a pretty keeper for people who like fine commercial mausers, but if you must sell get Mr Speeds book and educate yourself on what you have and not get cheated on price. Good luck, wish it were mine.

Bob

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Awesome, I was just writing 6197 occurs all over the rifle from the 116197 on barrel and receiver to the 97 on the rear most switch on the bolt- (i dont know what this piece is called, the 6197 BU on the lever, and i just noticed a 197 when i removed the scope. Thanks again guys. i feel closer to this piece and consequently the men that proceeded it.
Sincerely

-me
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
BC UN i believe or EC UN

-me
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
also..1936-37 sounds more in line with it being the gun my grandpa used to shoot his first game...being born in 1909
anyways thx

-me
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RJH
August327,

You have an Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifle made by Mauser, not a remodeled military rifle. Commercial proof marks Crowns over BUGN. Looks like Sporting Carbine Type M pattern 720 (pg. 126 Jon Speed Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles). Serial # 118197 places it pre-war 1936-37. There were only 127,000 Commercial Mausers produced and many have been altered or destroyed. Mr Speed evaluates the Model M carbine between $1000. and $5,500. depending on condition and extras. Its a pretty keeper for people who like fine commercial mausers, but if you must sell get Mr Speeds book and educate yourself on what you have and not get cheated on price. Good luck, wish it were mine.

Bob

So when did they quit using the full crowns over BUGN? And everything I've read said serial numbers are generally meaningless in Mausers. Is this not the case with commercial sporters?

Thanks

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
why is it recommended to not disclose the full serial number? i've seen several posts with the full info XX'd out..

-me
R
RJH Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
August,

A little more info on the proof marks, 1924 German commercial proof laws changed and in addition to Crown over B (rifle proofed in assembled form), Crown over U(final inspection proof), sporting arms were stamped with a Crown over G (indicating a weapon with a rifled bbl). The BUG proofs were applied from 1924-1934, a fourth mark, Crown over N was applied from 1933-34 to late 1939 (to signify the rifle was proofed with nitro-based powder, Crown N was also used on military contract guns for export.)

The BGN marks on your rifle look washed out from being polished, with a distinct Crown over U. Maybe it was reblued at the Mauser factory ?

Your barrel does not snap on/off its most likely the scope is removeable with quick detatchable mounts.
Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sold a well used but all original model M 30-06 a few years ago for $1000. It was not in as good of condition as the one you have. I visited Fred Wells in Prescott ( his son Rube has one of the best Mauser sporter collections in the US) later that year and told him. At that time he said I had sold if for less than half of it's worth!
This past year I picked up another model B in 30-06 here in Alaska and I don't plan on letting it go.
Rifle magazine will have a seperate magazine out this October specificly on Mauser sporters.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a pretty neat rifle. Heirloom, really.
Shoot and enjoy it. That's what your grandpa did.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
August,

Not a Mauser expert...My thoughts go out to you and your family. Do not sell that rifle! As others have stated, I would dig ditches to keep from selling a heirloom!

Jason

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The script on the side of the action matches my commercial Mauser 98, and it is dated to mid 30s production. I was not aware of any post war production of Mausers in the 50s (German arms companies were disbanded, the machines and tooling sold or confiscated). The Brevex Mauser was reportedly manufactured in France on machinery confiscated/bought from the German arms industry closure.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
There are Mausers and there are other Mausers. But that is a MAUSER!!! I am not an expert but that is waaaaayy above a run of the mill Mauser sporter-even a nice one. Try and keep it in the family and cherish and protect it. Value--?? I would guess north of $5000 maybe well north. PH

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would look at other alternatives instead of selling a rifle my Granddad and my Dad owned. That's a family heirloom, a very nice one at that, and I believe you will regret it if you choose to sell.

Last edited by Joe; 06/05/11.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
B
B
Got a Mauser 30 / 06 and I know nothing about it it has the German eagle on it. Help please.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
410 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.