Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I recently bought my buddies hybrid trailer (ATV deck on front, trailer behind it). I need to buy a generator for it but haven't a clue about generators and/or what is needed.

The trailer has a refrigerator, freezer, stove, microwave, stereo, heat, air conditioning, water heater, exterior lights, etc.

What specs should I be looking for? Any specific recommendations? I appreciate the guidance as this is all new to me.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A pair of Honda EU2000I inverter rated 2k generators with a parallel kit. Run one in the winter and both in the summer to cover the load of the air conditioner.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
a solar charger in order to keep the noise down............

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Digs
A pair of Honda EU2000I inverter rated 2k generators with a parallel kit. Run one in the winter and both in the summer to cover the load of the air conditioner.

Nailed it with the first response! Nothing here...move along.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Depends on the elevation. A generator won't make the same power at 8000' in Colorado as it does at sea level.

My 2400 watt Yamaha was designed by Yamaha to run a 13.5k RV A/C. It'll do that reliably up to about 4500', after that it doesn't have the juice to start the A/C.

If you need something in the 3000+ watt range,two smaller in parallel is the best idea. The 3000+ generators from Honda and Yamaha are heavy. IIRC,they're almost 200lbs a piece.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by remfak
I recently bought my buddies hybrid trailer (ATV deck on front, trailer behind it). I need to buy a generator for it but haven't a clue about generators and/or what is needed.

The trailer has a refrigerator, freezer, stove, microwave, stereo, heat, air conditioning, water heater, exterior lights, etc.

What specs should I be looking for? Any specific recommendations? I appreciate the guidance as this is all new to me.

Depends on what you're powering up & what the power requirements are for the equipment you have... add up the amps & you should be able to figure it out. Before you head out, freeze all the stuff you want to keep frozen & plug in the auxiliary power supply (I'm assuming you have one) & get your refrigerator/freezer cooled down with the stuff you're gonna keep in there...the more the better. My trailer used to burn through gas real quick when I used the water heater, so I only fired it up when I wanted to shower & used the stove top for heating water for dishes...of which I tried to keep to a minimum with paper plates & plastic my stereo was 12 volt, as were the lights...if you don't have an owners manual, you might try to find one on line, but if you LOOK at the individual appliances you'll see they generally have directions glued someplace on them.

ETA: when you stop & fire up the fridge with the gas pilot, it's important to have your trailer fairly level...

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 06/05/11.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/...modelname=EB3000c&modelid=EB3000CKAN

Honda EB3000

Got mine for around 1100 new 5 years ago, under 70lbs. It's my work gen but it runs my TT also. For normal use I have a solar on my battery with inverter for DVDs, only time I run the generator is if I need the AC, micro or my wife is along and needs her hair dryer/curler thingies.

Kent

FZY Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mossy,
I suspect that if you installed a hard start capacitor on your air conditioner your gen set would be able to start it at higher altitude. You just need the extra boost to get the compressor started. Check out: http://arnoldservice.com/compressor_hard_start_boosters.htm

You can also google hard start capacitor and will find a lot of info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Honda EU3000Is and it seems to work fine. Haven't used it much though. In-laws have it out in East Texas for when their power goes out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What you REALLY need is a camping spot at least a quarter mile from mine. I hate those @#$%^ generators.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can run everything on my trailer with the Honda 3000

Salmonhead
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Yamaha's that come with a propane conversion kit installed. Just as quiet as Honda's but really handy if you are already carrying propane.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What you REALLY need is a camping spot at least a quarter mile from mine. I hate those @#$%^ generators.

ergo my solar panel comment.......

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the honda inverters are great little units, I sometimes take my 1 along, but not often.

they make very little noise

also don't run the generator at the cabin, old Yahama, unless vacuuming or needing to run power tools.

quiet works for me

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think a trailer mounted 18-20kw diesel will do everything you need. If your tow rig is diesel, you would be all set. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The generator size/type suggestions are right on for the most part.

However - conveniences and comforts are really nice, but do you recall the sounds of a generator shattering the quietude of the forest or a lake shore? How did we do it so well and so enjoyably for so many years without those things?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Generac 4500. More than you need and a bit pricey compared what's been mentioned. But with this, you can use it for just about anything. Can be permenantly mounted or mounted to a wheel kit so you can use it at home too.

It's the quietest on the market. Rock Chuck won't know you're there.

Get the propane adapter and battey charger. With that set up and four large propane bottles you can easily out last your food and water supply.

If you ever upgrade to a bigger trailer, you already have a gen that can handle about anything.

My 3500 will run my A/C, lights, and TV/DVD. But if the microwave is turned on it boggs and usually trips.

Of course, if you don't use a TV, Microwave, or A/C the little Honda 2000s are just fine.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Walked by a new Honda 2000i (I think) running the other day and you could barely hear it 30' away. It was amazingly quiet! I hate the sound of generators when camping, but I would tolerate this for periods.

Last edited by prm; 06/05/11.
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Digs

+2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NathanL
I like the Yamaha's that come with a propane conversion kit installed. Just as quiet as Honda's but really handy if you are already carrying propane.

One of my generators, the one in my trailer is an Onan propane, good little gen and quite. Has a big muffler and not much mechanical noise.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 713 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.