-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You might need to shim the starter. It sounds like the gear is in a bind with the ring gear and can't retract. Or, it could be a defective bendix in the new starter. If you let it go, it'll tear up the started in a hurry.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've never owned one. But know some that do.
They are lightly built. That means they break easily if used hard. Been my experience that sometimes you end up using them hard simply because you misjudged the situation. Or because you are tried and got careless.
They are fine for driving on snow covered highwways and light duty off roading. But nobody uses them for extensive off roading in desert washes for instance. And I see very few of them in the high country.
Those that have them and off road seriously have extensively rebuilt and replace much of the drive line, etc. with beefier stuff. E

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Best hunting vehicle I have used. We have put 4 hunters, gear ice chest and a deer on mine. Try that that with a four wheeler. smile Lots cheaper than the new ATV's.
Great dependability. Mine is an 87 and runs great.
Rides a lot better with a couple hundred pounds in it. I put a heavy duty grill guard on mine where we put a hitch-hauler for the game and mesquite wood.
Runs right on top of our sandy soil during the hot dry summers without burying like the heavier trucks.

stumpy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just wish I could find a reasonably priced used one up here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I've never owned one. But know some that do.
They are lightly built. That means they break easily if used hard. Been my experience that sometimes you end up using them hard simply because you misjudged the situation. Or because you are tried and got careless.
They are fine for driving on snow covered highwways and light duty off roading. But nobody uses them for extensive off roading in desert washes for instance. And I see very few of them in the high country.
Those that have them and off road seriously have extensively rebuilt and replace much of the drive line, etc. with beefier stuff. E

My experience has been the complete opposite. They work great in just about any off road situation including the desert. You should have seen the one tooling around the WSMR this past weekend on an Oryx hunt. That thing would go anywhere!

Put a SPOA lift on it and regear the transfer case and its pretty damn reliable! One of the best hunting guides in the country uses one in the desert in Nevada and he has never had any trouble and he hunts some damn rough country

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem is alot of offroad enthusiasts get caught in a vicous cycle. That cycle is, go crazy on lifts and large dia tires. Then they figure they need more hp to spin the bigger tires, then they started breaking the drivetrain, so need to beef the drivetrain. Then their lightweight nimble vehicle becomes a heavy not so nimble vehicle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A friend of mine who is a guide has one and he says it is better than his ATV's and 4by getting around in. He loves it and it gets great gas mileage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a box stock 1987 a few weeks ago.

I am going to use it for chukar hunting this fall/winter.

Only wish it were fuel injected.

I will improve the suspension, but no lift. Add mud terrains and a rear locker. A box with 10 inch deep drawer with two dog boxes on top of it. Have not figured out where to put the shotguns because it�s to narrow to lay them behind the front seats.

Loads of after market stuff . These guys are great:

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.php/suzuki/samurai.html

Plus this guy has lots of used parts:

http://www.samuraisalvage.com/

When my heaters running I�ll just wave and smile at the ATV/UTV guys.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Where is a good place to buy the Samuri's? Are there any web sites that specialize in them?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Craigslist:

Under "search Craigslist" "For sale" type in: suzuki samurai

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1993 Chevy Tracker (GMC Tracke/Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick)

1.6 liter 8v engine
2" exhaust no cat. turbo muffler (my install a resonator to quiet it down)
K&N air filter
225/75R/15 tires

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by simplyme; 06/05/11.

I am Canadian.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

261 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,060
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.