Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A Daisy, a baseball and glove, and a fishing rod.

Last edited by Cossatotjoe_redux; 06/06/11.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toy guns of all kinds, Mattel Fanner Fifties, a "Rifleman" lever action, Mattel Tommy Gun, snub nose .38, cork ball firing muskets, cannons, machine guns, you name the war or era - Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers, Civil War, WWII and a bit beyond and I probably had something appropriate for it.

Playing "Big Army" with the toy guns or "Little Army" with the hundreds of green and gray American and German soldiers. On any given Saturday you would find 5-10 young boys running around the neighborhood in everybody's yard carrying out attacks and ambushes. Lots of young bodies strewn across lawns waiting for the magic "two touches and you're alive".

Had a big sandpile and would build intricate forts for the toy soldiers with tunnels and log emplacements made of twigs. I was walking in my play area by the old house a few years ago and found one lone soldier half buried - a German carrying a rocket launcher. He is in a special box in the closet right now along with the very few other prized possessions left over from those days.

Models were probably next - fighter planes mostly, tanks, some ships, no model cars to speak of. Monogram made the best with the most movable features, Revell was second and I forget who was third. Most all of the model planes got bullet holes via an unbent paper clip heated on the stove.

Hit puberty right before GI Joe came on the scene. We thought he was the gayest toy in the world. Basically they wanted boys to play with Barbie dolls dressed in green uniforms.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plastic army men and a string of firecrackers. I could recreate every battle known to man.

Mortar guys held up the best, germans chunking a potota smasher faired the worst.

Last edited by NathanL; 06/06/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fishing Pole was # 1... #2 was a simple toy pistol that had a big spring on it... it had wood and cardboard planes that slide down onto the spring... when you pulled the trigger it "shot" the plane out and it flew around.... We use to shoot them at each other... had a blast with them.... # 3 was a BB gun....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mattel made a whole series of models in the same scale that could be grouped together � tanks and a jeep with a 37mm anti-tank gun in tow, a deuce and a half and a bunch of soldiers in different poses. I remember the mortar squad in particular. Cool stuff for sure. grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A wooden WW2 battelship with big guns that I played with in the bathtub in the mid-1940's

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I didn't get a Red Rider but did have a Daisy pump BB gun. Probably shot close to a ton of BB's through that gun. It was a pain to load and didn't hold many BB's, but shot pretty close to where it was aimed. I grew to love a peep sight with that gun.

Harry
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A hammer. I would use it to smash all my toys flat. My dad made me a solid, cast, indestructible car. When I learned that I couldn't smash it, I threw it away.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Nothing finds stray legos like a vacuum, except for maybe bare feet. frown

Worked well on stray nuts and bolts from the erector set too. grin

Loved Legos, Erector sets, lincoln logs and tinker toys. Did you know that if you glued a tinker toy airplane together you could put it on a string and dogfight your brothers airplane. They don't survive the collision so well though. wink

"Mom! We're out of blue sticks again!"

"Well, maybe Santa will bring some in 9 months." frown

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
i had a daisy red ryder. once when i was younger i tried to figure out how many bb's it fired before the lever broke. i came up with just over 100 cardboard tubes of 1000 bb's each.

can you imagine the plastic fantastic bb guns now lasting 100,000 shots?!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely toy soldiers. And it was fun to "boss" the little brother around! smile

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't think for a second that the Daisy BB gun made today would ever live up to what I remember my Daisy doing, but I'm going to give it a chance! Next time I get to Bass Pro Shop one of them is coming home with me and I'm going to have some fun.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a hand me down Daisy from my sister. It wasn't bad, had an adjustable peep sight on it with replaceable inserts in the front.

Was pretty damn accurate. Would take old dominos and put them way the hell out there and shoot them. You would see BB make a giant arc of about 10 feet to get out there but it would knock it down. Once you had the sight adjusted you could knock them down all day long.

I wish I still had it. I don't know the model but it wasn't a Red Ryder. I think it was fancier than that, had a sling on it and no saddle ring deal.

Got curious and looked it up. Champion Model 499. Dunno why we had that instead of a plain jane Red Ryder, but I really learned to shoot with it. See they still make them and they sell for $249 on the Daisy website, probably 1/2 that somewhere else.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 06/06/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my Daisy pump action, hands down!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
A section of blackboard from an old country school auction my dad bought for a quarter...

I was 5 years old, and we had a pretty good year on the farm. Christmas presents were a little more spendy than usual. I got a couple of Tonka trucks and some other cool stuff, dad said I barely touched them until the box of chalk was gone.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I couldn't wait for Christmas in 1962. We would take the Sears catalog and circle our choice and put our name by it. I only wanted the Mattel shootin' shell rifle/pistol set.

I got it, and I also got a Sharps carbine from Woolworth's for only $.89, but it took a month of pop bottle collecting and a paper route to get it...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Wtxj
A small (18") working fire truck, hoses and all.

Christmas time, out in the back yard, starting grass fires so I could put them out.

There was one of those at the local five-and-ten that I wanted so badly I could taste it. I didn't get it and it has haunted me ever since. I used to look on ebay and saw that they were selling for quite a bit of money. I would have bought one if I had ever seen one that was complete and in good working order.

Was in good shape, but let my youngest son play with it for a few years. Rubber does get old and cracks. Still have it, will keep it for which ever grandchild.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was fortunate to have a dad who was a regional manager of a five and dime store chain so my brother and I always had some cool toys around ...... one of my favorites was my Johnny 7 OMA (one man army), army men, tons of hot wheels and johnny lighting cars and miles of track, creepy crawly maker machine, 007 toys, batman utility belt, evil Knievel toys, Arnold Palmer golf course game, wrist rocket, red ryder, cox dune buggy, dragster and planes, estes rockets, slide show projector, chemistry set, old train set, slot car race track, model cars air planes and boats, slinkys, duncan tops and yo yo's, M-80's and black cats, sassafras whistles, june bugs and some thread, tinker toys, view master, snoopy snow cone machine,
man was I blessed... truth be told, Dad never had much in the way of toys growing up so he was just as big a kid as we were .... thanks Mom and Dad for a glorious childhood.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Legos like have been mentioned were a fav. We would make cars and have crashup derby contests. Also teh zip strip motorcycles.

A toy I remember most was a sword my dad made out of some extra surveyor's lath that he sanded down and attached a guard with leather and leather handle.

As I got older of course the daisy bb gun and then the crosman 760 pump. That one sure isn't made like it used to be. I had the benefits of living in the country as well but no neighbors for friends. My dog and I were pretty close.

Every summer I waged war on the red ant piles with black cats and other assorted firecrackers.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Ruger 10/22, at least from age 12 on.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 3,153 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.